Front axle ID

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by MICHAEL MOUNT, Nov 18, 2019.

1. MICHAEL MOUNT

MICHAEL MOUNT Farmall Cub

Hey guys,
    I want to start rebuilding the front end in my 74 international 100 pickup 2wd, but when I'm looking at parts they all mention different front ends, such as fa5, fa62. I've searched all over for a way to Id which front end I have, but Google is more interested in showing me Honda's when I do. Can anyone tell me how I can tell what kind I have? Thanks!

Stupidnewbie likes this.
  2. stroker3

stroker3 Lives in an IH Dealership

FA 5

EDIT: Check behind the glovebox if you haven't already. There may be a LST taped to it.

3. BinderBookie

BinderBookie High Wheeler

FA5 is the coil spring independent front end, 3,500 pound rating, for the 100 series trucks. It's not really an "axle" perse, but a coil spring front suspension very much like what you might find on a Ford or Chevy half ton of the era.

4. MrKenmore

MrKenmore Y-Block King

Welcome to the abyss of the FA5 front suspension!!! If it's 2WD you have with coils, you're in for a real treat of a scavenger hunt. What are you looking to replace / service? Here's what I found (Note this is for 74/75 1/2 ton only!):

1. Lower ball joints aren't made anymore. I scored some on eBay. That's your best route. Moog K-3101 / TRW 10276. (Unique 74/75 only part)
    2. Upper ball joints are readily available. Moog K-778.
    3. Steering ends are tricky as well. Rock Auto did have the outers recently. Moog ES-2022RL. Inners are tough to find now. Moog ES-2021RL. Adjusting sleeve Moog ES-500S. (Unique 74/75 only part, excluding the adjusting sleeve)
    4. Lower control arm bushing is a unicorn. IH part number is 443322C1. Allegedly, Rare Parts info is "RP16694, 16694-2I47A, Control Arm Bushing" (Unique 74/75 only part)
    5. Upper control arm bushings are readily available I believe. I think it's Moog K-7104.
    6. Wheel bearings are Timken SET16 and SET17.
    7. Seal is National 40389S. (Unique 74/75 only part....I think)
    8. Brake rotor hub assembly? Forget it. That's a real tricky one. (Unique 74/75 only part)
    9. Rubber brake lines RAYBESTOS BH381190 (Unique 74/75 only part)
    10. Steering center link.....haven't seen one. IH part number is 442917C91. (Unique 74/75 only part)
    11. Stabilizer bar bushings IH part number 158759R1. These can be found NOS pretty easily. Scout Connection has these.

I bought old TRW and MOOG parts catalogs from eBay to confirm a lot of these part numbers. Also have the MT-136 parts catalog which is very helpful. Some of these parts spill over into other manufacturers which helps of course. But those indicated as "Unique 74/75 only part", I have only found to be used on the IH FA5 front end. I am slowly acquiring these parts in the event I want to overhaul everything. Some stuff I will be replacing like wheel bearings and stabilizer bar bushings. But the ball joints I may just inspect, clean and replace the rubber boot. Right now they seem pretty solid. Plus you need a funny tool to remove the ball joints. Chrysler had a similar tool but the IH tool is bigger.

I probably spent an entire night reviewing the equivalent Dodge truck/van front end. I wondered if you could get creative and swap over the spindles. This would give you readily available hub/rotors. Upper ball joint is OK but the bottom ball joint on the IH is bigger. I think the tie rod would be the other side as well (top vs bottom). I may get a spindle on eBay just to mess around with it.

5. BinderBookie

BinderBookie High Wheeler

WAY to help a fella out, Kenmore!

6. MICHAEL MOUNT

MICHAEL MOUNT Farmall Cub

I love this place! You guys are a virtual cornucopia of knowledge on these trucks. I'm looking for the control arm bushings and none of the ball joints are looking very healthy. Looks like the po had done all the tie rods, and I just went completely through the brake system. I'll have to look again. I've seen ball joints all over the web, but as per the original post, they all state they are for a particular front end and I wasnt sure what was on the truck. I'll let you know if I come up with any of the parts you're missing on your list.

vince konicki likes this.
  7. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

Outback parts had a lot of center links for 200 series a few years back(like 50 of them) They might be the same as the 100.

8. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

Close : 100-150 # 442 917 C91/ 200 - # 442 918 C91. 1 number off on center link.

9. 200EIGHT4X4

200EIGHT4X4 Farmall Cub

The 3/4 ton center link has larger tapered holes where the tie rod ends go in, but the male tapered studs are the same size. Hence a 1/2 ton can be reamed out for use on a 3/4 ton. I saw a FA-5 complete cut off front suspensions at my father's shop last time I was there. He a few more further back in the yard, most are FA-6, and FA-7's, but I spotted one FA-9 with disc brakes. DSC00671.JPG DSC00871.JPG

Stupidnewbie and MrKenmore like this.
  10. RinTX

RinTX High Wheeler

Dang Mr Kenmore! I’m currently wishing you had bought a 73 and had been compiling the list for that front end...

11. stroker3

stroker3 Lives in an IH Dealership

X's whatever for Matthew. Very good work. That needs to be kept someplace where it's easy for other's to find.
    There is a sticky on here for the 61-73 IFS parts . Unsure if it's outdated now or not.
    http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/index.php?forums/restoration-purists.71/

RinTX likes this.
  12. Stupidnewbie

Stupidnewbie Farmall Cub

Sub for later! I did a similar thread years back: http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/...-end-parts-info-questions.123501/#post-890106

I just snagged an NOS centerlink on Ebay for $145 shipped. I found (what I believe) to be the correct front disc brakes but I don't have the part numbers on hand. I'll check for them when I get home. I still need lower control arm bushings, an idler arm (which Rare Parts makes), and the trailing arm bushings. I am also missing the front swaybar so I'm not sure what to do about that. The truck rides fine without it for now.

MrKenmore likes this.
  13. Stupidnewbie

Stupidnewbie Farmall Cub

Front brake discs that I bought are Wagner BD60458. I have not tried to fit them yet so they may not be correct.

14. MrKenmore

MrKenmore Y-Block King

I don't think that hub/disc is correct strictly judging from the pics on the interwebs. I sure hope I'm wrong!

Nice list by the way in your link! Looks we came up with a lot of the same info!

Stupidnewbie likes this.
  15. 200EIGHT4X4

200EIGHT4X4 Farmall Cub

BD60458's fit 4 wheel drive trucks.

Stupidnewbie likes this.
  16. Stupidnewbie

Stupidnewbie Farmall Cub

Well, crap. Lol! I guess I'll hope my current rotors can be turned. Anyone know about front sway bars for the FA5?

17. J.J.

J.J. Dreams of Cub Cadets

Nice work Matthew! That is a keeper for info right there!

JJ in TN

MrKenmore likes this.
  18. Stupidnewbie

Stupidnewbie Farmall Cub

Now I'm on a mission. There's a lot of factors to a front rotor/hub fitting but from what I can tell is ours is 11.75" diameter, 1.18" thickness, 5x5.5" bolt pattern, and SET16/17 bearings.

Raybestos 7009R is for an 80s-90s Dodge van. Same bearing set, 11.75" diameter, 1.245" thickness but can be turned to 1.18" safely, 5x5.5" pattern. The space between inner and outer bearings and the backspacing of the rotor from hub face are the two variables that would likely mess things up. Hmm... Anyone have a spare IH rotor sitting around to take measurements off of?

19. MrKenmore

MrKenmore Y-Block King

I like your thinking!!!! You're on the same path as I am. I want to see about doing a spindle swap. That would get you Dodge spindle, rotor/hub, brakes. Upper ball joint is the same. Distance between the two tapered receivers for the ball joint studs is important as well of course. Just need to figure out the lower as the IH one is larger if I am not mistaken. It's a screw in style so I wonder if there is a ball joint where the screw in size matches the IH but the ball joint stud fits the Dodge. I have an early Moog and TRW parts catalog that covers lots of this stuff. I may pick up a few later ones (maybe 1985 or so) for some more part numbers. A Raybestos parts book from around 1980 would be a bad thing to have either.

Stupidnewbie likes this.
  20. Stupidnewbie

Stupidnewbie Farmall Cub

I've come up with a solution for the unobtainium lower control arms and possibly other bushings. I ordered some 2-part liquid polyurethane that people are using to make their own poly parts. I'm thinking the idler arm, the strut bar bushings, and my inline 6 engine mounts might also be good candidates for this. Hmm...

MrKenmore likes this.