Florida Scouts Summer '04 Ocala Meet

Discussion in 'Deep South Scouts' started by Red_Dragon, May 12, 2004.

1. 72soa

72soa High Wheeler

I am still planning the trail run. As far as your truck goes I would bring it if you can drive to Riverforest which is where I am assuming we are going to stage from. There needs to be some sort of reservation event soon!! Who is corrdinating this? You don't really need a cage or nice belts. We will not be going to the Rubicon or Moab. If you want you can hook up with someone else and ride with them. Your truck will be fine if it runs ok and you can drive off road ok. Just make sure it has tow points. Have a good day. BTW there is some interest over on the Cent Fl yahoo binder page for this run as well and there has been a commitment or two.

2. JustinL

JustinL Farmall Cub

is this still on? id like to go even if it is not some official meet, we could just have a bunch of people meet there if an official event is too hard.

3. 64w35s

64w35s Farmall Cub

Hey, I'm ready for it one way or another. I don't have many Scout owners where I'm from. I haven't done a trail ride since around 1988. That almost makes me sound old. I may be a little slow on this question, but how about some directions from I-75. And most importantly like Justin asked is this still a go for the meet.

4. JustinL

JustinL Farmall Cub

it doesnt look like it. red dragon and i are both busy that weekend now, i do want to go riding there sometime before august though.

5. 72soa

72soa High Wheeler

I would still like to do this and will try and make arrangements. I would like to know how many people would come to a scout/IH outing. I have two other scouts that will attend. Let me know. Have a good day.

6. 64w35s

64w35s Farmall Cub

If nothing comes up, I'm still in for it. I'm still working on the 80. Got some steering issues after the soa.

7. Somthor

Somthor Farmall Cub

I used to have a decent 79 SSII when I was building a house my wife said i couldnt have it in front of the new one so we agreed i would sell it IF IT MET the asking price if not i could keep it.

couple guys from ocala came down to look it over i was busy fixing up the house to I tossed them the keys as they were leaving their car behind.

last I ever saw my scout :(

since then I picked up a 87 jeep wagoneer fixed that up a bit for street use only. but On ebay I came accross a very nice scout that Im currently trying to purchase.

if you dont mind a nervous kinda of guy in a jeep I could perhaps tag along as I live in sarasota

8. 72soa

72soa High Wheeler

Alright. Let me see what I can do as far as finding a place to stage from. As far as I am concerned this will be a low key event and will feature a trail run in the Ocala with a camp that evening. Everybody bring their own stuff to stay the night if so desired. I have limited time for planning so don't expect much except a good wheeling time. Now do we have some flexability on the July 17-18th date? For me that date is as good as any. I am also still thinking about Riverforest campground. I need to check.

9. JustinL

JustinL Farmall Cub

i can not be there on july 17-18. the later the better for me because i will have a greater chance of having my scout more trail ready.

10. 72soa

72soa High Wheeler

OK I have talked to anohter scout owner and have been contemplating a change of venue. I have access to about 10 to 15,000 acres of private land in Volusia County FL. The site has good access and is located between DeLand and Daytona Beach. We can have a trail run/camp there. I was thinking that the last weekend in July or the first weekend in Aug would be good. This will be a low key event with I would assume only a few of the IH faithful attending. If the event grows in size then we need to look a the Ocala again. The aformentioned private land features a lot of mud and water. The trails are a blast. A well driven rig with 31 inch tires can run most of the trails. BTW the site is also very environmentally sensitive so adherance to the trail is critical. There will be plenty of trail challenge. What is are your all's thoughts? Have a good day.

11. JustinL

JustinL Farmall Cub

sounds good. what do you think about inviting a few people from florida jeepers (via PM) to get a good group together if there are not enough IH there to have a good event? im up for it either way, just throwing an idea out there. im pretty sure that i can do that weekend.

72soa, email me at f87kme@comcast.net because i will be wanting one of those d44s you have pretty soon.

12. 72soa

72soa High Wheeler

We are not burning rubber for the "first FL scout get together" but that is OK. We will have a small group and will have a good time. The weekend that seems to be good is July 31 and Aug 1 04. Will give more details as things mature during the month of July. Again if there is interest this thing is going to happen-let me know via this board. Have a good day.

13. JustinL

JustinL Farmall Cub

that weekend sounds good to me.

14. 64w35s

64w35s Farmall Cub

I am still looking forward to it if I have that weekend free. My plans (wife's plans) change day to day. I just got my steering working good, and radiator back in. I need to take ol lulabell for a slow trail ride through the property to see how she's gonna do.

15. JustinL

JustinL Farmall Cub

from fjoa, i am going to invite danstew, cj5buggy, and kmanguss2000. i figure that will give us a good group of about 10 people total.

16. JustinL

JustinL Farmall Cub

ok, i have one jeep going but none from florida jeepers. who all is going?

17. 72soa

72soa High Wheeler

OK the date has been set: Sat July 31st and Sunday Aug 1. Right now I know of three scouts comming for sure. Here is some data that is good to know. I will post directions once I get some definative mileage information.

The Accomodations:

1) There are none. This will be roughing it.
    2) There are no stores nearby.
    3) There are no showers.
    4) There are no gas stations nearby.
    5) There are places to park tow vehicles and RV's ( I will have my RV there.)
    6) There are no bathrooms.

The Climate-Florida in the summer:
    1) Hot and hotter-90's plus.
    2) Expect a rain/thunderstorm
    3) The ground can and probably will be saturated.
    4) 100% humidity.

The Trails:
    1) Very dank.
    2) A lot of standing water that can and will be deep.
    3) Tons of mud.
    4) Some trails are narrow and the vegetation does not respect paint jobs.
    5) Lots of snakes.
    6) Did I mention mud and water
    7) The site is very ecologically sensitive. We will stick to trials. But that will be enough.

Suggested Vehicle stuff:
    1) A well driven scout on 31 inch tires can traverse most of the trails.
    2) Locker(s) or limited slip(s) would be nice.
    3) Have a good tune with good spark plug wires to avoid arching/stalling when in deep water.
    4) Water is deep but you will not need a snorkle. The trick is drive slow and not splash water all over engine ignition. I have very little tolerance for hydrolocked IH motors because someone can't drive.
    5)Tow points front and rear. We will have at least two vehicles with winches and will have tow strap(s).
    6) CB will be nice.
    7) You will take water into the truck. Have a nice interior? Keep your truck at camp.
    8) Have a nice paint job? It will get scratced-leave at camp or wheel in a place that does not have a forested proclivity.
    9) Mud tires would be good but not a needed.
    10) This place is hard on bearings/brakes/diff fluids so be prepared to service your rig when you get home.
    11) gasoline for your truck.
    12) Spare parts if needed.
    13) tow strap.
    14) WD-40.
    15) Good drivers.

Suggested stuff to bring:
    1) Camping material including tent etc.
    2) Food for all in your party for two days.
    3) Enough beer or other legal libation to carry you through the after wheel/trail ride debreif and night BS time.
    4) Lots of ice in cooler(s).
    5) Lots of drinks including water, etc to deal with very hot weather.
    7) Plastic sheets or tarp to deal with wet ground and or thunderstorms.
    8) Stuff to support kids if applicable.
    9) Use common sense. Bring what you need to support you for a few days. There are no stores in the vicinity!!!
    10) First aid kit.
    11) Personell will get wet, sweaty, muddy, very dirty. Bring stuff to clean up after trail run is complete.

This is suggested material and good to know stuff. I am looking forward to the first FL IH scout meet/trail ride. As I said I will post directions and related instructions probably tomorrow. Have a good day.

18. 72soa

72soa High Wheeler

Directions to the site: From Orlando/SW Fl/Tampa etc find and get on I-4 and go east towards Daytona Beach. Get off on the US 92 exit (almost to the end of I-4), When you merge on to US 92 you will be heading east. You will need to do a U-turn and head west on US 92. Drive west on US 92 a little less than 6 miles. Land marks will be signs for Tiger Bay St Forest. After the State Forest you will need to make a left through a median cut in the highway. There will be a large gate. The gate is red and will be open. Drive in the gate and take the third road/trail on your right and proceede to the power line easement. You should see camp/staging area when you hit the power line easement.

From East FL get on I-95 and drive to the Daytona Beach/US 92 exit. Head west on 92. The gate is about 8 miles to the west. See above directions.

From NW FL look at a map and find the prefered way to DeLand. Find US 92 and drive east towards Daytona. As you are driving to towards Daytona you will notice a large 500 KV power line that extends over the road. Take the next right after the powerline and that will be the red gate road. See above directions.

The site has good access but the red gate can be somewhat difficult to find. The trick is look for the large 500 kv power line that crosses US 92. Can't miss it. The gate is just to the east of the power line. Remeber US 92 is an east/west road. The power line is aligned in a north/south direction.

The gate will be open for the morning. I would like to hit the trails at about 11 or 12. I will be on site at about 8/9:00 am. If there are any questions get in touch will me via this board or PM. Have a good day.

19. JustinL

JustinL Farmall Cub

So what is the total count of scouts that will be there? Ill be there for 1, who else is going?

20. 72soa

72soa High Wheeler

Here is what I know. There will be three comming from this area. One 72 scout, a 64 scout and a 65. Yourself. That equals 4. There is a guy from Madison with a 64 scout and another I have heard from Orlando. Seems like the older scouts will be well represented. That is 5/6-a lot. Hell as far as he first IH FL get together goes I have this to say: Rome wasn't built in a day. Have a good day.