Florida Scouts Summer '04 Ocala Meet

Discussion in 'Deep South Scouts' started by Red_Dragon, May 12, 2004.

1. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Farmall Cub

I'm going to contact Ocala Nat'l Forest this week and get some answers so we can start planning this meet.
    But first, I need some answers. Such as:

1) Who all is going? Email me if you are even slightly interested so I can get an idea of the maximum who are likely to show up. Better to reserve too big of a camp than too small. (JustinL, let me know how many Jeep people you are bringing too). I need TWO numbers; number of people going, and number of rigs.

2) How many people plan on shooting?

3) How long are we going to stay?

You can email me about the first two questions, but we should hash out #3 on this thread so everyone can arrive at a consensus.

-J
    intrepidjournalist@hotmail.com

2. 64w35s

64w35s Farmall Cub

Hey I'm one of those slightly intrested ones! Don't know what I'll be doin around that time, but I'm sure intrested. Put me down for 3 max. people & 1 rig.

3. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Farmall Cub

I don't know who you are. :rolleyes: Email me so I can have a name and contact info to go on the list.

-J
    intrepidjournalist@hotmail.com

4. MikeInMobile

MikeInMobile High Wheeler

Too far for me guys, but let me know if I can help in any way.

5. crosswrench

crosswrench Farmall Cub

I am interested But need to know when. My name is Ryan, I live in Valdosta Ga. About 3hrs. From Ocala. I just started rewiring my 79 Scout 2 and might need a new 345. So it might not be ready til July. But it does have new gears, lockers, 35's, brakes, 6 point cage, seats, body work, paint, and 7 inches of lift. Almost ready go. And its only taking about 4 freaking years. Sorry to ramble, but this is my first post :cool:

6. JustinL

JustinL Farmall Cub

7. 72soa

72soa Binder Driver

OK I am late on this one but I would like to participate. Shooting? What does that mean? In any event beware the F.S. frowns on "organized" rides/event and I suggest that the event be low key-i.e. leave the FS out of it. Just out for a good ride in the forest and we will play nice. As far as camp sites go I know that the Range Rover guys used the River Forest Camp in the SE portion of the forest. RF is a public ground and I do not know what the rules are there. There is a private campground north of Altoona that the early Bronco guys have used. I don't know the details. Perhaps someone knows. Finally, I know that a private camp in the Eureka area has been used before. In any event I will be willing to guide a trail ride through the roughest trails in the southeastern/eastern portions of the forest. It will be a day ride and cover 60 to 80 miles of trails and some minor pavement interludes. If the conditions are wet the run will be a blast and be prepared for water, mud, sand and heat.

8. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Farmall Cub

60-80 miles? Damn thats a long ride! Hope my beater will make it.
    As for a date, how about the weekend of July 17-18? Whats everyone think?

If you are in, email me the following:
    -name
    -address
    -contact info
    -# of people going with you
    -# of rigs going with you

-J

9. 72soa

72soa Binder Driver

That weekend sounds good to me. I would suggest that we look at Riverforest campground in the SE portion of the forest as a place to stay. Maybe it will be ok. I don't know. In any event I will be there with my 2 kids and wife. I am going to send this link to some local friends that have scouts. They have kids as well. (We seem to have a lot of kids between us.)

10. JustinL

JustinL Farmall Cub

Permits are only required for groups of 30 or more. meaning that if we have 50 scouts there, and we send out 5 groups of 10 scouts we dont need a permit. its only if a group of 30 goes wheeling at the same time on the same trail

Heres some info.
    Hey fellow Florida Jeepers!!

We have planned our first Florida Jeepers Association event. The first anniversary of Florida Jeepers is coming in April and we want to celebrate it with all of you by having a weekend of camping, trail riding and good food. The details are as follows...

Date: April 16, 17 & 18
    Location: Has changed... Go here for details. http://floridajeepers.myforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=3186

We plan to have a group cook out on Saturday night the 17th. The menu that we plan to provide is as follows, but is not set in stone as of this time.

-North Carolina style BBQ Pork (prepared by none other than blhtaz himself! )
    -Chicken leg quarters
    -Burgers & Dogs (all meat will be cooked over a nice wood fire, I can just taste it now!!! )
    -Chips
    -Condiments, i.e.; ketchup, mustard, mayo, salt, pepper, Texas Pete.
    -Paper plates & plastic utensils

You are welcome and encouraged to bring a side dish of some kind or desert if you wish and your beverage of choice.

Now, since we are not a for profit business, and none of the people running this board has a lot of money to spare, we are going need to charge $6 per person for persons 10 years and older (9 years and under eat free) to cover the cost of the food. In order to be able to purchase all of the food and supplies in advance, we will need all that plan to attend to submit the money before March 31st to give us time to shop! We don't want to leave anyone out, so please if you plan on attending register as soon as you can.

The cost of camping will be your responsibility. As we know right now, the campground charges $16 per night.

This is going to be a great time and we look forward to meeting a lot of you there. We will provide more information as the event nears including directions and a map.

11. Ron Knox

Ron Knox Farmall Cub

That weekend sounds fine here as well. River Forest camp would be ok, I think Chilsom Trail camp near Altoona might be a little better because it is more centrally located but whatever works for me. Turnout would be Me, Her and 4 Kids and hopefully the 64 if I can get her going...

12. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Farmall Cub

I hadn't thought about that. Which would everyone rather do, cook for themselves, or have a group cookout? If we do a group cook, someone is going to have run the grill, and we'll need a big one. Also, everyone will have to throw in some money to cover costs. What do you guys think?

-J

***REMINDER*** If you haven't emailed me, you AREN'T on the list yet. :eek:

13. JustinL

JustinL Farmall Cub

14. JustinL

JustinL Farmall Cub

what do you all think about having a shirt made with a custom logo and our forum name on them? that way we would have some way of knowing who everyone was from the forum and some kind of keepsake. of course this would add to the cost, but it could be an optional thing.

15. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Farmall Cub

Do we have anyone going who is a BBQ expert? Cause in the immortal words of Bob Dylan, "that ain't me, babe." I burn stuff. Do we have any volunteers to run the grill?

Email me,
    -J

16. 72soa

72soa Binder Driver

I really don't have a preference one way or the other on the cook out thing. Really how well attended is this event going to be? (There are not that many scouts in FL) Perhaps we should just let everybody fend for themselves with regard to the food. Trail ride-how many will be going and what will they be driving (vehicle type and tire sizes)? The worst the Ocala has can be traversed by a good driver in a scout with 31 inch tires. The trick is be prepared for deep water. Have a good tune up with new spark plug wires. Have tow points on the vehicle as well. Thanks

17. JustinL

JustinL Farmall Cub

red, how many people have said they are going so far? i am pretty sure that i have at least 2 jeepers who will go up with me.

18. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Farmall Cub

Three have emailed me, including you. But I dont have any contact info for you, JustinL.
    People need to email me, otherwise they arent on the list!

-J

19. 72soa

72soa Binder Driver

Have we decided where to stage from. My vote is Riverforest. I think there needs to be a reservation event soon. Also, there is or was a yahoo scout group that was FL based. Anyone know if that group is still active? If so it would be good to post this event on that page as well. Have a good day.

20. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Farmall Cub

A quandary...

Since the school semester ended, my calender is quickly loading up with sailing trips. Marquesas/Tortugas, Bahamas, and maybe Cozumel. And my family is coming down for a week, so my time to get this truck running right is dwindling to off to zilch.
    So what do you guys think? Should I drive her the way she is (no cage, only lap seatbelts, old crappy seats), or hop a ride with someone else? And if option #2, who can I ride with?
    72SOA: are you still planning to lead the trail run?

-J