First time Scout owner in Charlotte - Help!

Discussion in 'Southeast Binders Association' started by sportinggent, Mar 26, 2014.

1. sportinggent

sportinggent Farmall Cub

Hi, all. Just purchased my first Scout and took delivery of it today. As a very green newby to Scouts, I was hopeful to connect with other Scout owners in the area who could spend some time teaching a non-mechanically inclined owner a few tricks etc.

It's a very clean truck but a couple things need attention (sticky clutch pedal on the uptake, getting the dash layout correct, which button does what). Any advice you all can share would be a great help!

And before I forget, I bout a '65 Scout 80 152ci.

Proud to be a Scout owner finally and looking forward to speaking with y'all soon!

2. jfulwider

jfulwider Farmall Cub

You need to go to the auto fair next week you will meet a lot of the Scout community there.

3. 62scoutcharlotte

62scoutcharlotte Banned

Amen....Anytime you want to drop by you are welcome. I am over in Cotswold and would be happy to walk you thru the 2 80's I have here.

So shoot me a PM and I will shoot you my number. And yes get by the Auto Fair. Look up Southern Scouts Dixie Regionals which should pull up the info.

Welcome

4. ClemsonScout

ClemsonScout High Wheeler

Post up some pics! Where are you located? I'm in South Charlotte near Quail Hollow.

I'm here as well, though I suck at getting out, Nelson can attest to that. :censored:

5. specfour

specfour Farmall Cub

Welcome!! I am way south of you but we all try to help when we can.

Andy

6. sportinggent

sportinggent Farmall Cub

I'm right off of Selwyn Ave in Myers Park. Not far at all. I've attached a couple of pictures from yesterday when the truck was delivered.

Attached Files:

7. jfulwider

jfulwider Farmall Cub

That doesn't look like it needs a lot of work. Looks awesome.

8. Mitch Neal

Mitch Neal High Wheeler

Hey, I know that Scout!

Gary Barker used to own it as recently as early December, as it was at the GRC open house. It looks like the hideous bumper on the front has been replaced with a nice stock one! I think GRC may have made some other improvements on it as well.

That was a very clean 80!

9. sportinggent

sportinggent Farmall Cub

Hey, Mitch. Thanks. It's a great looking truck and I have a few people drooling over it already and I've only parked it out in front of work for one day.

I'm trying to get ahold of Gary and Randy Grenhof to get a better history on the truck (I bought it through a dealership in ATL).

Here's some more pictures of the truck...

https://vpix.us/dealerpics/1281_V20140227130648.jpg
    https://vpix.us/dealerpics/1281_V2014022713064814.jpg
    https://vpix.us/dealerpics/1281_V2014022713064815.jpg
    https://vpix.us/dealerpics/1281_V2014022713064816.jpg
    https://vpix.us/dealerpics/1281_V2014022713064818.jpg
    https://vpix.us/dealerpics/1281_V2014022713064824.jpg
    https://vpix.us/dealerpics/1281_V2014022713064830.jpg

-Marc

10. jhnyct

jhnyct High Wheeler

Well looky there. It stayed in the SEBA family. That's a pretty nice little Scout.

11. mormetl

mormetl High Wheeler

Such a small world - Those guys in ATL have quite a few IH's, and nice ones too - glad to see this one stay in the family, as Jason stated. Hate I didn't get to deliver it, though. Have fun with that rig - it is definitely a very nice one. Hope to see you make it to the Dixie Regionals next weekend.

12. sportinggent

sportinggent Farmall Cub

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. :clap:

I'll definitely try my best to make the show next weekend but we have an event on the calendar at work and I can't skip out on it...

I posted the request in the wanted classifies but wanted to mention it in this thread as well...if you know of anyone who has a steering wheel available, either stock or Grant (preferably 15-16") please let me know. The truck has a 12" wheel for some reason and steering it right now is less than pleasant.

Thanks again!

13. gmbarker78

gmbarker78 Farmall Cub

Awesome! I did own that Scout for a short period of time. Bring that bad boy to the Autofair and Randy and I will give you a tour of the dash as well as the rest of the rig. That truck is solid and in great shape mechanically. You will be hard pressed to find another 80 that is still that original and solid! I put a fair amount of miles on it personally before I sent it to GRC for some love.

You'll just have to get used to that clutch for now. I also wanted to adjust it when I first started driving it. It may need a clutch down the road but for now it should be fine.

It could use a little work on the front end. The steering wheel won't solve the issue. If you plan to put a lot of miles on it then you should send it to Randy at GRC and have him get it straight for you. We were going to address the front end but decided to leave it as-is. There are a few options to solve it and an opportunity to upgrade to power steering. We found it best to leave it alone and let the new owner choose the best route. Honestly, the steering isn't that bad for a nearly 50 year old vehicle.

You have yourself a great machine. Here is the thread I started when I picked it up.

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119941

14. sportinggent

sportinggent Farmall Cub

Thanks for the information, Gary. I unfortunately won't be able to make it to the speedway next weekend, but if you have some time to chat over the phone I would appreciate the time. Certainly have a few questions for you (you should also have an email from me in your inbox from a couple days ago). That said, the truck has been a head-tuner on the road and the reaction has been great from folks. Just need to get some hopefully minor items tuned up and should good to go.

Thanks!

15. sportinggent

sportinggent Farmall Cub

We've had a starting issue with the truck and when the mechanic pulled the carb apart it was missing a few important parts on the accelerator pump. Namely the sleeve, spring and check ball. Someone turned the timing way up to essentially masked the issue. As you can imagine, I'm not over excited about that, nor am I pointing fingers, but could certainly use some help.

Does anyone know where to find the missing parts (for a 1904 carb)?

Thanks.

16. Quilmes

Quilmes Farmall Cub

Very nice and clean looking Scout. Looks 100% done, even thou that is almost impossible to say with a Scout.
    Welcome to the Club.

17. Ted H

Ted H Farmall Cub

Rebuilding that little Holley aint a big deal. IH Parts America has kits. Your mechanic should be able to find parts. Factory timing settings on these engines are generally low and most of us raise the timing up. They will run better and be more efficient. Good luck with it. You have a nice Scout.