FINALLY.... After two years of looking, I got one.

Discussion in 'Old Dominion Binders Association' started by jfulwider, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Ty M

Ty M Farmall Cub

I actually rode in this Scout yesterday. Timing's about right and the carb is livable. Progress!

Johnnie wasn't kiddin about it bein squirrely. Almost as bad as riding in one of Mr Moore's jalopies. :hammer: The right wheel bearing's a LITTLE loose, so he's gonna look at that. Tie rod, steering box, drag link, rag joint all feel ok to me. And the steering box looks like it's mounted pretty solid to the frame, which doesn't appear to flex too bad.

When he bought it, the power steering box wasn't hooked up. And the steering column has been changed to tilt. Any good way to check the column for slop? I wouldn't think just hooking up the p/s box would cause it to go crazy... Just by eye, it might have a touch of toe-in but that hasn't changed since his test drive.

:wrenching:
    Ty

2. zuke

zuke Farmall Cub

Is the sway bar there and hooked up? (If not, I have a spare Johnnie can have).

Does it look like the caster was unchanged by the lift? A '74 has zero caster stock, and if the lift caused it to go into negative camber even a little bit, that can make it squirrely.

Are the springs firmly in place?

Does the one spring have it's little block in it? (I forget what side it is, but there should be a block about 1/8" under one of the front axle perches.)

I doubt the column is to blame, if it feels like it's in place firm, and there isn't any binding.

When you say squirrely, is the steering overly sensitive, or does the truck seem to go off places, and you have to correct with the wheel?

3. Mike Moore

Mike Moore Dreams of Cub Cadets

Check the spring eye bushings, make sure the shackle bolts are tightened properly. A guy up here had loose rear shackle bolts for a while on his Scout, and the back felt like it was gonna pass the front sometimes...I believe Ty may have ridden in it one time when it was like that. Hit a little bump in the road and everyone's butt grabbed hold of a seat cushion!

The shackle bolts or the toe-in is my guess on it, because it's simple. Unless some jackleg put caster shims in it the wrong way to facilitate driveline angle improvement.

I ran a 4" lift on my brown Scout for ten years, then moved it to the orange one where it still is...no shims, no funkiness. I am not on the train with the masses that claim a 4" lift is enough to screw with the caster enough to cause scary handling, at least from my own experience.

4. jfulwider

jfulwider Farmall Cub

Zuke, when I say squirrelly I mean, when the steering wheel is held straight the truck is jumping all over the place. Ty showed me where the sway bar is. It's there. I'm thinking the previous owner installed it and didn't do things quite right. The is one bolt in the right front spring on the rear of it that is about a half inch to long. I'm just not schooled enough on 4x4's to figure it out. Someone told me I needed a steering stabilizer..... Crazy.....

5. zuke

zuke Farmall Cub

Well, I defer to Mike when it comes to Scouts, He knows much more than I do on them, SO check the stuff he said first. Is the bolt that is too long tight, or is there an extra half inch of play in it? If there is play in it, that would be the first thing I'd fix...

6. Mike Moore

Mike Moore Dreams of Cub Cadets

Adjustment on the steering box, shackle bolts, spring bushings, toe-in, caster, etc. I wouldn't drive it if it's that bad! Thats a recipe for you or someone else getting hurt!:no:

7. jfulwider

jfulwider Farmall Cub

Yea I don't plan to drive it. That thing scares the hell out of me. I'm going to by the wheel bearings this week for the right side. I know a guy who knows 4x4's and might come over and help me figure it out. Hopefully it will be done soon with all this nice weather I'm getting anxious.:punk:

8. jfulwider

jfulwider Farmall Cub

Update. I figured out why Old Blue ( I have decided that's her name) was so squirrelly. When the PO put the 4 inch lift kit on it he didn't tighten any of the bolts more than hand tight. Tightened them up and changed the wheel bearings on the passengers side. It still kind of moves a lot less. Still some though. I took it to the gas station and filled her up today. She ran pretty good. I think I need to get the front end aligned and switch back to the original steering wheel. But none the less I'm happy for now. Now to get the top done and pray for someone who has a good working 727 tranny and wants to swap for my 4 speed.

9. Ty M

Ty M Farmall Cub

I got a 5 speed 727 I'll trade ya;still stops at drive, tho. ;)

Seriously, glad to hear you got 'er sorta shored up. Still wonder why it wasn't wandering when you test drove it...

10. jfulwider

jfulwider Farmall Cub

I'm wondering that myself. I guess it must have loosened up from towing it back home and messing around moving it back in and out of the garage.

11. zuke

zuke Farmall Cub

Could be, I'd keep an eye on all the stuff you tightened up to make sure it stays tight. As far as wandering a little goes, all the pre-1980 Scouts wander a little...

12. jfulwider

jfulwider Farmall Cub

Got Ol' Blue a front end alignment yesterday. Boy did that help. She drove like I thought a Scout would drive. Now I have to get all of the door and tailgate seals so there won't be so many rattles. The rattles make playing the radio at a hear able level almost nonexistent. But overall I'm very happy. Need to get new exhaust soon and I'm going to put a steering stabilizer on it on April 12th. That should finish all of the mechanical stuff ( for now ). Then I'm putting it in the Mud somewhere.

13. zuke

zuke Farmall Cub

Nice! Glad you got the squirrelieness resolved, Now, about that whole mud thing... Rocks, you're looking for Rocks, Not Mud! (That's a persoanl preference thing thou, actually!)

14. jfulwider

jfulwider Farmall Cub

That's what my Dad said. You'll put it in the mud once or twice and never again. Because you'll be cleaning it for months after. Rocks put dents in the sheet metal. I would need sliders and new front and rear bumpers.

15. Ty M

Ty M Farmall Cub

It is possible to go home with rocker panels if you're nice to it. Your truck sits about 5" higher than mine and I drive like a thing possessed sometimes. 5" is about the depth of the last dent I got... :censored: LOL

16. jfulwider

jfulwider Farmall Cub

Scary day today. Went to get gas in Ol' Blue and filled it up. Then I heard gas running down on the concrete. Look under it and it is pouring out. So I run in and tell the clerk he calls the fire dept. and 2 hours later and after calling a tow truck. My mechanic shows up and diagnosis it as a bad overflow line. 2 hours later and 75.00 later I'm on my way home. The PO had replaced the tank with a poly tank and used heater hose for the return line. I just don't know what else he has done that I'm going to have to find out the hard way and fix........

17. zuke

zuke Farmall Cub

Ah, that's a common problem, happens with fuel line too, but it takes years longer :)...

The Binder world is full of Previous Owner Stories too, Now you have a good one to tell!

18. Ty M

Ty M Farmall Cub

I think the majority of the fuel line on that truck is metal, John. No worries there.

19. jfulwider

jfulwider Farmall Cub

You need to come and take another ride.....

20. Ty M

Ty M Farmall Cub

Do I need a nomex suit? :stuart: