FINALLY.... After two years of looking, I got one.

Discussion in 'Old Dominion Binders Association' started by jfulwider, Jan 5, 2013.

1. jfulwider

jfulwider Farmall Cub

I bought my first scout today. It is a 1974 Scout II. It has a 392 with a 4 speed. Not sure if the 4x4 works the front drive shaft isn't hooked up. Guess I'll find out soon enough. It needs some work but its got a solid body. I need lots of advice as this is my first 4x4. Thanks for letting me hang out while I was searching. Here is some pictures of her that the previous owner took. First on the agenda is find a decent hardtop.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  2. Fred Demmon

Fred Demmon Y-Block King

A good looking scout, I understand the desire for a full top

3. basic261

basic261 Farmall Cub

Very nice looking rig. Love the color. Any idea what the colors called?

4. jfulwider

jfulwider Farmall Cub

It is a Summit Racing paint. It is called Bright Cobalt Blue Metallic. Paint isn't bad on the truck but it isn't great. PO painted it in his shop.

5. jfulwider

jfulwider Farmall Cub

I'm tring to figure out how to delete this as I posted it in the wrong place. I put up a new post in members rides and realized that I needed to delete this but dont know how.

6. zuke

zuke Farmall Cub

I Wouldn't worry about it, Just turn it into your build thread :) Nice looking Scout!

7. jfulwider

jfulwider Farmall Cub

Thanks good idea. 1st question (not that I didnt talk Mike to death today) The wipers are one of the many things that don't work on the truck, how do you get to the wiper motor? PO said he changed it out and ordered a new one, but that one didnt have enough power to move the wipers. Do I have to take the fender and door off as he said? If so which one?
    Can you get these rebuilt?

8. tdc

tdc Dreams of Cub Cadets

Tough looking Scout. Nice color. Soft top and wheels are way cool. :beer:

Attached Files:

9. basic261

basic261 Farmall Cub

yeah for sure on the tires and wheels and I really love the color. I did check out Summit Racing and it looks like about 100 bucks a gallon. I have no idea how much automotive paint cost is 99 bucks on Redbox a good price?

10. jfulwider

jfulwider Farmall Cub

I'm no body man, but I have heard that you get what you pay for. I think that it depends on what you are going to use the vehicle you are painting for. What I mean is are you going to use it as a trail rig or a show queen. If it is like mine you are going to do a little of both then 100.00 a gallon is great. If you are doing it yourself then use the Summit paint. just my 2 cents........(you might want change back).....LOL

11. Mike Moore

Mike Moore Dreams of Cub Cadets

Fender and door do NOT need to come off. Open the hood, remove the phillips screws holding on the panel at the base of the windshield, and remove the panel. You can get to the wiper motor right there. May need to hire a triple jointed midget to get it all back in there (especially the clip holding the linkage on), but it is doable.:yes:

12. Erik Morton

Erik Morton High Wheeler

Here at work we would call that project "difficult but not impossible". I work for Northrop Grumman designing and making specialized power supplies for the Navy and it is amazing how many difficult to build designs we produce. Yes you can get to the wiper motor through the cowl.

While you are in there check the wiper drive shafts for slop too. After putting in my new to me frame recently I found the arm driving passenger's wiper shaft was not solidly connected resulting in 5 or 10 degrees of slop and that wiper not covering as much window as I needed. It would park way too high on the window. Fortunately I saved the one from my old frame. That job only took a double jointed midget. But checking that before putting it all together the first time would have been way nicer.

13. Fred Demmon

Fred Demmon Y-Block King

I would double check the wiring, and make sure it has a good ground before swapping it out

14. jfulwider

jfulwider Farmall Cub

Ok, I need some 4x4 education. I tried putting the driveshaft in tonight and it looks to be about a half inch short. I connected it to the transfer case first and then tried to connect it to the front axle and it wouldn't reach. This is the drive shaft that the PO gave me with it at the time of purchase. Am I an idiot? is there something that I am not doing or did i get the preverbial Shaft so to speak? How long is the front shaft supposed to be? Mine is tip to tip 26 7/8, or center of u-joint is 25 inchs (or so), or just the shaft by itself is 21 3/4. Thanks for the help.

15. zuke

zuke Farmall Cub

The shaft should have an extended and a collapsed length, if you look at the shaft, some where in the middle is a slip joint, if the shaft has been sitting for a long time, it is probably stiff. Look for a zerk fitting (A little nipple for a grease gun) and that should be on the slip joint, Apply some grease to that with a grease gun if you have one (If you don't, you should go get one anyway, you'll need one now that you own a Scout). Once you have the joint greased, pull the two yokes on the shaft away from each other and push them back together, do that until the joint moves as smoothly as you can get it too, then try to install it again, if it still isn't long enough, then yup, you got the shaft, so to speak...

16. zuke

zuke Farmall Cub

Oh. and the proper measurement for the shaft is flat of the yoke to flat of the yoke, Ideally with the truck on the ground, the distance will be about half way between the collapsed and extended lengths of the driveshaft.

Here's a good guide for measuring Driveshafts;

http://www.4xshaft.com/MeasuringGuide.pdf

17. jfulwider

jfulwider Farmall Cub

Thanks, I learned something new tonight. Yea I thought it might be something like that but wasn't sure. I did try to move it but it didn't move. I will grease it and see where I'm at. Thanks again for the help.

18. jfulwider

jfulwider Farmall Cub

I did notice that there seemed to be some type of bracket or something to that effect coming off the top of the transfer case. It was bent all the way back. Looks like someone hit it with a hammer. Maybe it's just me being paranoid about the 4x4 not being hooked up when I bought it but I'm not liking what I'm seeing regarding that so far.... Any idea what that could be? Here is a picture of what I'm talking about.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  19. zuke

zuke Farmall Cub

Nothing wrong with being paranoid about these things! But that is the normal shape of that thing on a Scout, it's the end of the linkage set up for the shifter, It looks similarly ugly on Jeeps too, but faces a different direction depending on the application...

20. jfulwider

jfulwider Farmall Cub

Well, I finally got the driveshaft in. I'm loving the lift kit on the Scout, because I can lay my fat butt down under there and do anything I need to. On a similar note now I can't get the truck to get any power out of the ignition block. The truck won't start, so I have ordered a EZ wiring harness and will be getting a tilt column from Mr. Moore on Friday. Hopefully this won't be to much of a headache. I'm really enjoying the time that I'm spending in the garage fighting with this old rag....lol. Just not sure what I need to disconnect and what to cut out? Don't know what to keep and what to leave. Also don't know what else I'll need to get this thing wired. Any suggestions?