Fiberglass Hardtop on Fiberglass SSII

Discussion in 'SSII' started by ChiScouter, Feb 12, 2012.

1. ChiScouter

ChiScouter Farmall Cub

I am attempting to install a SSII fiberglass top on my fiberglass tubbed SSII that previously had a soft top on it. The tub was built in 87 or 88, I converted it to SSII in 98. Im having a number of issues with aligning the top with the body and windshield frame. The specific SSII related issue is that the factory metal trim piece that goes under the top appears to be too long for the SSII top to sit correctly. In the pictures the top is as far forward as it can go without climbing on that nub on the endcap. It looks like I would need to shorten the metal piece by about 3/4 of an inch. I know its a longshot but im wondering if anyone has one of these fiberglass SSII tops and could possibly take a measurment of the length of their metal trim piece so I can trim mine without thinking that there may be another solution. Im thinking it should be visible and easily measured without removing anything.

Attached Files:

• 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      471.2 KB
      Views:
    • 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      586.7 KB
      Views:
    • 007.JPG
      007.JPG
      File size:
      493 KB
      Views:
    • 010.JPG
      010.JPG
      File size:
      786.3 KB
      Views:
  2. mrendos

mrendos Farmall Cub

mine are 61 5/8 look like they may have been cut at one time , but mine is also a glass tub and they fit nice and snug. if there are any other meas. or anything you need if i can help

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  3. mrendos

mrendos Farmall Cub

looks kinda odd though that none of your mounting holes line up ,the top the insert or the holes in body seem to line up with anything, and my rails set down in the body,as your quarter tops look different then mine to

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  4. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

His body is the older style,different than yours and mine,see the rivit in the door frame,sorry I have no answer for you,but if you can make it work by cutting I would.Alot of things need to be trimmed to fit the glass bodies
    Jeff

5. ChiScouter

ChiScouter Farmall Cub

Thanks a million. My piece is 62 5/16 so at least I know that is ok and I am supposed to cut it down. I have a bunch of issues with the windshield mating up with the top, now I can focus more on that problem. My rear outer fenders are just lapped over the inners and pop rivited. My inclination at this point is to replace that metal piece with a much wider piece of plywood which will be through bolted and laminated in with epoxy.

6. mrendos

mrendos Farmall Cub

any time keep us posted on how it goes, we all are trying way to make the glass fit and work,atleast it wont rust

7. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

i've gota similar 1 here also,but it's like a topper, or a cap., that goes on behind a pickup cab,i rescued it for a guy from texas i think a few years ago,and haven't heard from him since.jeff

8. ChiScouter

ChiScouter Farmall Cub

I cleaned the dust off and have been working on it a bit. I ended up sanding teh top of the bed flat and replaced the metal channel with a piece of 3/4 inch plywood approx 1.25 wide. I had to use 3/4 inch ply to make it flush with the nub on top of the end cap, otherwise the weight was sitting on the endcap.

I thought there was a barrel nut or some sort of nut insert in the top to attach it to the windshield, but it is looking like they only used self tapping screws. What type of screws do you guys have attaching your aftermarket SSII fiberglass tops to your windshield frame?

Attached Files:

• 035.JPG
      035.JPG
      File size:
      878.6 KB
      Views:
    • 036.JPG
      036.JPG
      File size:
      826.1 KB
      Views:
  9. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

I have only seen 2 of those tops before,one had nutserts put in,sort of rivits with threads in the middle
    Jeff