Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by mporter52, Jul 5, 2020.
Good Work on all that wiring!
JJ in TN
That is one hell of a job. Keep up the good work.
Started putting the transfercase back together. I have to say, whomever came up with the detent ball and spring placement on the scout dana 20 transfer case is an asshole.
Transfer case is all back together. It even shifts! It however is very hard to turn, not sure how hard it should be to turn in 4x4. Im just going to believe its the new thrust washers.
Since I had to order parts for the T90. We started to teardown the engine. Its going to get all new gaskets and seals, minus the head gaskets. I am amazed at how clean the engine looks inside.
a Dana 20 should be easy to turn. Did you follow the shimming instructions for bearing pre-load ? If the bearings are too tight they'll over heat.
Both of the output shafts spin freely, and I did check endplay. Its not until I install the center gears with the intermediate shaft that it becomes difficult to spin. And those are just thrust washers, so im not sure how to shim that. I did use wheel bearing grease on the roller bearings to hold them in place. I have ordered trans assembly lube, so I will probably pull it apart and redo those.
yes, assembly goo will help the roller bearings. if the bearing rolling elements are too hard to roll or spin because of tightness or stiffness of the lube they can "skip" and get a flat spot
Go the HF sandblaster working well so am cleaning up and painting engine parts.
Those are some pretty clean looking parts! No hardship in the cleaning!
JJ in TN
I'm embarrassed to say I spent about 5 minutes trying to guess what these were:
Looking good, i'm not sure I'd have the patience for a rewire.
Haha, that's my daughters stool. She has been known to come out and "help" me in the garage. Of course my fat ass used it and broke it so now its a wobbly garage stool. She won't let me just throw it away.
Engine finally went back in. Probably one of the easiest drop ins I've done in a while.
Transmission finally back together. I really think that the guys who buildt this transmission just used whatever parts they could find in the bins for this T90AA. None of the standard T90 parts worked, the input shaft cup needle bearings were from a T-86. The thrust washers were from who knows where. The cluster gear needle bearing were only 2 rows with a longer spacer. And I had to get a bearing that was from a Muncie M-21 input shaft for the main shaft. But its finally back together!
And the transmission is in! I think I might have to invest on a taller jack. Had to stack 2x4s on the jack to raise the transmission up high enough.
Transfercase is in! WAY easier to put in versus the transmission. PRO tip, install the shifter BEFORE you install the t-case. Luckily I had 3 gaskets 1st time ruined gasket, 2nd time no shifter, 3rd times the charm. We had to flip the crossmember as well apparently we had it on upside down.
Got a ps Pulley from JJ. Cleaned it up, welded the chips. Turned out ok. Master welder I am not!