Father Daughter Duo - A journal of Scouts

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by JDMJNKY, Aug 11, 2020.

?

Do you all mind the video content?

Poll closed Aug 18, 2020.
  1. Keep it old school, post images only.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. It's ok, but we prefer images.

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. NO.

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. YES, we do mind.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. JDMJNKY

JDMJNKY Farmall Cub

Hello everyone,

My name is Joel. First and foremost thank you all for keeping such beauties alive. A bit of our backstory and how we arrived here is interesting (to us). My daughter has always been the "fly the coupe," free-spirited type and just celebrated her 18th over the lockdown; as for my wife and I who recently began shooting after 4 or more years of gun ownership (the ol' we're just to busy excuse), the change was just what the doc. ordered. Our first trip to local range required a rocky climb, while our 07 tahoe got us there we both agreed that it was not the truck for the job.

Her and I began looking for 4x4 trucks. I came close to to making some deals, missed some deals, so on and so on. Somehow I held this vision in my head that a scout would nearly be impossible to find and come at a fortune. One day while chatting with my daughter, she starts talking about broncos; our magic carpet ride from there was about a month (3 out of 5 of us would scour the WWW) until we found the scouts that fit our budget(s). I've always been the diamond in the rough guy, I believe buying something at 15 doesn't beat building your own at 15-20k (not my budget just an i.e., but I'm sure one day i may arrive there). Taking the time to explain how this all pans out to my daughter was a different story LOL.

FFWD to present time, we now have two scouts, an 800 and a scout II, and I have a whole lot of work on my hands. Here are our short intro. vids. Hope you all enjoy, for now we are thrilled.

Ours

Hers

2. scout2000

scout2000 Lives in an IH Dealership

Hello and welcome to BinderPlanet.

Do you have specific long term goals for your Binders?

Looking forward to watching your builds !

3. JDMJNKY

JDMJNKY Farmall Cub

Thank you and we most certainly do. Phase one for me is to assess the total metal damage via teardown of our scout and repair it. As for my daughters, it is engine and general maintenance; Her "running project."

4. JDMJNKY

JDMJNKY Farmall Cub

Today was a short work day. When I arrived home with much sunlight, the kids and I tackled rinsing all the mud from the 800s undercarriage. This car is unknown to us besides the year make and model. It does have the 4.3 Liter V6 engine from a blazer, which is cool I suppose (at least from what I've read). The previous owner stated that other than the engine mod, the drivetrain is factory.

• If you guys spot anything, please feel free to point it out. Seasoned eyes are welcomed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

....and while I know the car runs and drives, the engine bay is a hideous sight; calling me to clean upi the wiring. Coming from import vehicles to domestic, all this TBI cross breeding has become confusing (why? because I was hoping to find the golden how-to ticket LOL). I'm not the wing it type when things are new to me, so this may not be such a fun challenge after all. What I'll attempt is to clear this rats nest and update/fix all non working gauges.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This may as well be coordinates to the milky-way, I've never seen anything like it in an engine bay....I'll have it ID'd and understood here shortly.
    [​IMG]

5. rotten

rotten Farmall Cub

That last shot looks like an air compressor. Follow that black line to see where it goes and get a better idea what it's for.

6. JDMJNKY

JDMJNKY Farmall Cub

Thanks Rotten, I will.

Today I got a chance to confirm some gauge functionality. I know the oil psi gauge works. Tomorrow I'll check the speedo. The rest of gauges do not. As you can tell, the pace will be slow because I will attack this as my daughter is ready. Don't feel like taking point on her project. After I finish the inspection/ functionality check I'll hand her a to do list.
    [​IMG]

7. 800bman

800bman High Wheeler

8. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

Rotten is right.that is a air compressor..its a riderite ...
    commonly used for airbag suspension..
    I doubt the Scout has bags....but it could have helper bags.. .or maybe it was used to air up tires...very common to drop your tire pressure when trail riding...then air them back up for the ride home..
    There are also air locker differentials...just follow the black airline and see where it goes..

9. JDMJNKY

JDMJNKY Farmall Cub

Thanks Greg. I will definitely trace those, the air up/down idea sounds cool, I will also trace the other misc. wires once I begin to dig into it. Truly appreciate the share of knowledge. New turf for me/us. My knowledge on the swap itself and if the harness was merged right is my focus. Seems overwhelming to tackle but I'm sure its one of those "overthinking moments."

- Joel

10. TravelerMan79

TravelerMan79 Farmall Cub

Very nice. Last year, when my oldest daughter turned 17, she had her heart set on getting an older Jeep. I said no way, but I like the idea of a Scout80/800 for her. She was actually giving me a hand for a few hours last week on my Traveler. I'll be following your builds. Good luck, and welcome to the IH madness.

11. JDMJNKY

JDMJNKY Farmall Cub

HAHA what's with the jeeps? Mine started w/ the same. However she fell in love w/ her 800. Glad she lent a hand, gives me hope for mine. I know she wants to handle the paint scheme herself, but outside of that I really think she expects me to do the rest. In my head, kid I got my own project to handle, but in reality she's daddys girl and the rest is history.

Thank you! I gave up my 68' mustang FB dream to build a family fun project. So I will give my SS2 the best of me.

12. TorqueMonster1

TorqueMonster1 Farmall Cub

First and fore most Welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place for info and knowledge about all things IH! I noticed in the picture of the 800 after it was cleaned off that there was a LOT of mud in the street, hopefully your neighbors don't gripe too much. :nono: I got the same results when I did my Scout II years ago, however it was at a friends that had a lift outside.

You did ask for seasoned eyes to point out anything that looked suspect. My eyes certainly aren't all that seasoned but I did notice in your first picture of the suspension that the drivers side leaf spring pack had more leafs than the passenger side. This may be totally normal and correct, and if it is please forgive me for bringing it up, but it did catch my eye. Again, welcome to BinderPlanet and keep us updated as your projects move forward!! Mark

13. JDMJNKY

JDMJNKY Farmall Cub

Thank you TQMNSTR,

HAHA My neighbors have all been very supportive, however, I do owe one neighbor a car wash. I went out the next evening and swept the entire street and the curb for all neighbors affected. Some were laughing and saying leave it alone.

Great catch on the leaf springs I didn't even notice. I'll have to get the car on flat ground and see if it's level. I'm not familiar w/ the cause and effects of all this stuff. My background is primarily Japanese import vehicles, I do grasp the concepts and I'm trying to be a sponge as I surf the web and view others posts.

TorqueMonster1 likes this.
  14. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

Extra springs could be to level it up..some even came factory with a thick spring shim to fix the lean

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    JDMJNKY and TorqueMonster1 like this.
  15. jmait769

jmait769 High Wheeler

Welcome to the madness!! :) Wouldn't trade all the memories my daughter and I made building Scouts for anything. Good luck and look forward to the updates!

JDMJNKY likes this.
  16. JDMJNKY

JDMJNKY Farmall Cub

Interesting and scary at the same time, I guess that was the method of the day.

HAHA, thank you sir. So far our family has been all in together, supportive and my wife let's me spend freely on the items we need to restore ours. I'll share all the welding/parts we've put together thus far once the rest arrive. I did veer off a bit as the scout runs/starts, and purchased some 4bbl upgrade parts, some extras i want to play with.

UPDATE for SII - Match port CYL. heads & IM, Refurbish cylinder heads, Have TQs refurbished.
    Met a great guy named Joe V while looking for a spread bore IM. Turns out it was somewhat destined to be. He also happened to have more parts i was after. A slightly damaged 9128s TQ, and then few weeks later I asked if he had some spare 345 heads non-smog; and guess what? He sure did. That IM I dropped off at the machine shop for blasting, I wish I had taken a before and after of that. Anyway, here are the cylinder heads & TQ.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TQ w/ small crack in the bowl
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wanting a TQ for parts if need be, While reading comments I was able to source a second SB IM, and TQ. What was awesome was the seller and I lived about 25min apart. Images of that haul.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. JDMJNKY

JDMJNKY Farmall Cub

Gasket kit has landed. Let the match porting begin. Learn something new every day. Sealed Power = Felpro. :/
    [​IMG]

And my daughter got some gauges to resto/replace
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. JDMJNKY

JDMJNKY Farmall Cub

Tested the ran when parked (4/5yrs ago) theory and lucked up....... So excited guys. I got "stella" moving under her own power yesterday. It was a fun few laps around the neighborhood. Joyus, it was a great motivator to say the least.

Corrected firing order
    added some brake fluid - brakes activate near the floor
    added some trans fluid - cycled through the speeds and we were off.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]