Farming out the wiring

Discussion in 'Gulf Coast Binders' started by Sammy, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Sammy

Sammy Y-Block King

At a point on my junk that it needs some wiring. I'm not sure what to do, buy, or where to start but I'm more than willing to help and pay someone to do this.

2. scout2000

scout2000 Dreams of Cub Cadets

YMMV, but, at least from a high level, these are my thought. If there is one thing I'm full of, is opinions. :)

* what is "your junk"?

* What wiring does "your junk" need rewiring in (i.e. area)? Engine harness? column harness? Something else?

* Does anyone make wiring/new harness' for "my junk"? i.e. search web sites from our Light Line dealers. Search forum archives for what others are doing for similar vehicles.

* compile list of vendors and products from your last step.

* locate someone/business, preferably as local to you as possible, willing to perform the work. Assume this will probably be vehicle fab shop/4x4 fabricator vs general mechanic shop, but hey, who knows.....

* review wiring/wiring harnesses accumulated above with shop you will farm work out with. That shop may have some better options, and/or may hate some of the choices you came up with. Point here is to make sure that who ever is going to do the work is OK with any parts you come up with prior to you laying down any hard-earned money.

* order parts, have new harness installed, pay for work.

* enjoy/drive your Binder without fear your dash, or other sub-component won't go up in flames due to 50+ year old wiring.

That is my thoughts, at least from a high level. I'm located in the Dallas/Forth worth metroplex area. My wiring harness work was performed by a 4x4 fab shop in the Ft worth area. Went with Painless wiring harnesses. Went with both an engine harness and a column harness from them. Great for me + fab shop as Painless was literally "just down the street".

The column harness was used/needed as I converted over to a GM column, plus it gave me a fuse box, vs the OEM fusable links.

If you are interested in more details, my build thread for my 1970 is in my tag line.

Also, others forum members have other vendors that they like better. Make the best choice for you && your Binder.

Hopefully, there is something of value in here for you.

Enjoy.

Sammy likes this.
  3. Sammy

Sammy Y-Block King

I should've given some detail. My junk is the 72 in my signature, so it needs very little engine wiring which is the glow plug circuit and kill switch for the injector pump. All gauges are mechanical, speedo will be gps. I have a few extra things I want to add but the rest of the wiring is all Scout II specific where I have all the wiring diagrams for it. Problem is following those is chinese arithmetic to me. At this time there isn't any wiring on the truck except the tail I left hanging out of the framerails to be able to pull the new wires thru. Realistically I don't care which type of harness (painless, ron francis, etc) as long as it works. There isn't a fab shop around me that I'm aware of that I would trust to be able to pull it off. If I do have to drag it a few hundred miles off to have it done right then I have no problem with that either.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  4. Fred Demmon

Fred Demmon Y-Block King

I installed a painless harness on a Jeep about 20 years ago and it was a breeze
    There are many different harnesses available now day that are 1/2 the price of painless.

Scout61 likes this.
  5. Sammy

Sammy Y-Block King

Great, so if I drop it off say tomorrow, you'll be finished by next weekend?

6. Fred Demmon

Fred Demmon Y-Block King

You can drop it off tomorrow and pick up next weekend
    But getting anything accomplished in that time period is not likely

7. Mark Aycock

Mark Aycock High Wheeler

Of course not. The Round Up starts in one week.

8. Scout61

Scout61 Farmall Cub

That's a lot of acquiring ............!!!!!!