Fan clutch “chewed” into radiator

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Rollercam, Sep 30, 2019.

1. winchested

winchested High Wheeler

Looks like you're buying a new rad. Anyhow or re coring. Buy a two row aluminum. I'm running a clutch fan with a stock rad and I've got tons of room between the clutch fins and the rad.

2. Rollercam

Rollercam Farmall Cub

Thanks guys for all of the opinions and advice. It is just frustrating that this seems to be a relatively rare occurrence and does not at this time have an obvious (to me) resolution.

I have actually been out of town or I would have taken more pictures to see if you guys could help figure this one out.

Obviously, something shifted or changed and allowed this to happen. I just need to figure out what it might be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Rollercam

Rollercam Farmall Cub

Thanks guys for all of the opinions and advice. It is just frustrating that this seems to be a relatively rare occurrence and does not at this time have an obvious (to me) resolution.

I have actually been out of town or I would have taken more pictures to see if you guys could help figure this one out.

Obviously, something shifted or changed and allowed this to happen. I just need to figure out what it might be.

4. mallen

mallen High Wheeler

T
    Here is a lot of flex in these old trucks. When mine rolled everything flexed so much the exhaust broke off at the manifolds.

5. stroker3

stroker3 Lives in an IH Dealership

I'll take the blame on that one. Not sure why I typed the word core either.

6. scoutboy74

scoutboy74 Lives in an IH Dealership

Just a case of insufficient clearance, pure and simple. Do you know the part number of the fan clutch? Hayden offers a standard duty, a heavy duty and an extreme duty clutch, all of which can be bolted to our 4 or 8 hole water pump hubs. With each step increase in duty level comes an increase in overall clutch length. DIfficult to tell from the pic, but it looks like yours may be more than a standard duty.

winchested likes this.
  7. Patrick Morris

Patrick Morris Lives in an IH Dealership

Might be a combo of the HD version plus body mount looseness causing the body to shift to the rear slightly. But the HD clutch doesn't change the fan's position. It only has extra fins in the center sticking out fwd of the rest of the clutch. So it would not cause the fan itself to brush the radiator.

I was wondering earlier if the clutch itself might be the wrong part for an IH application. I imagine that Hayden makes many different kinds and some probably have the same general attachment characteristics but are slightly shorter or longer than the IH model. I would want to verify that the length (WP to fan-mount distance) is correct. I think Hayden's site shows the dimensions.

8. scoutboy74

scoutboy74 Lives in an IH Dealership

As I read it, the clutch is what made contact, not the fan blade. Is that not what you're reading?

9. Rollercam

Rollercam Farmall Cub

It was definitely the clutch itself and not the fan blades that contacted the radiator. It basically ground it’s way into the core until coolant was able to leak out. It stops leaking as soon as the vehicle is turned off, the coolant quits circulating, and the level of coolant falls below the lowest “hole” in the core.

10. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Dreams of Cub Cadets

In the picture of Post #3, I could see no damage just in front of the clutch but thought the yellow coloring away from the center indicated some there. Perhaps I didn't read the description carefully, or perhaps I unconsciously assumed Rollercam hadn't described things accurately (as so often happens here), or maybe I was only aware of blades doing that, but I admit I was thinking the blades had caused the damage. Sorry about that.
    I think the idea still holds that a bit of flexing by body mounts, some more by engine mounts, a small movement of the radiator mounting and whatever play the pump shaft/clutch has can all add up to somewhat more than 1/4", as the results seem to indicate. Not sure how it could have been tested without damaging things, but I'd have been more than nervous with such a small safety margin, in addition to the bet-changing problem it could cause.

11. Patrick Morris

Patrick Morris Lives in an IH Dealership

Ah. My apologies then to Scoutboy. I did see the marks from the clutch fins but I also thought I saw some witness markings from the blades too. Must have been something else. But there's your solution. Just don't keep so much coolant in the radiator. ;)

You can see the differences between standard and HD clutches here, though I think you found out the hard way what the difference is.
    https://www.carid.com/hayden/info/fan-clutches-comparison.html
    From this page you should be able to pull up the details on the Scout II standard thermal clutch. They don't list the HD version for IH any longer.
    https://www.haydenauto.com/en/ecatalog?vehicle=238197&year=1978&make=International&model=Scout II&engine=8 CYL 5.6L

FWIW, I used the HD version for several years and had no issues at all with it. Even fourwheeling around, no movement that would cause this kind of problem. It wasn't until I had my radiator re-cored that I eventually discovered the clearance was too tight to get a belt past. That's a bad situation, having to pull the darned rad to install a new belt. What I guess happened was that the company who made the radiator originally placed the three rows all the way forward, as if it was a 4-row with the aft row deleted. Then the local company who did the re-core simply place the core centered, so I lost critical clearance here w/o noticing for a couple of years. I'm just glad it was during some routine maintenance and not out in the desert somewhere.

I think I post this pic in every fan-clutch thread here. LOL Shows my HD clutch clearance. I took it after shifting the shroud out of the way and before lifting out the radiator. You can kinda see that there are inner fins that stick out a little beyond the outer fins. I never had a contact problem, but it was too tight for me to get a belt through there.

Actually, I just looked at the pic on page one again. Come to think of it, if the OUTER fins here are also chewing into the radiator, then that's really bad and it doesn't matter so much that it's a HD clutch. The engine just gets too close to the radiator in this Scout. Something else is wrong. The standard clutch looks the same as this one below; just doesn't have those inner fins.

[​IMG]

vince konicki likes this.
  12. kdsmit

kdsmit Farmall Cub

The OE radiator in my nephews went bad and he replaced with a shiny new aluminum one. He did not check clearances before trying to start it (he did say that he turned the key slow though). Anyway, the outer tips of the fan blades hit on the upper edge of the radiator core support, bending the fan tips in just enough to eat the first row of tubes, in a nice circular pattern! A hard lesson learned and an easy mistake to make. WE, checked the clearance after, we, installed the new fan and radiator.
    By the way, anyone need a slightly damaged, low mileage aluminum radiator?

vince konicki likes this.
  13. Rollercam

Rollercam Farmall Cub

You mentioned that the second time around, you checked the clearances. Did you have to make any adjustments? If so, how and what did you adjust? It seems like something must have been out of whack with that first attempt. There just does not seem to be many things that can be tweaked if you are running a clutch fan.

14. kdsmit

kdsmit Farmall Cub

We had to get a new fan. We got one, aluminum, from O'reilly's, I think. It ended up being, just a little smaller in diameter, so it cleared the upper core support. I does not and did not have a fan clutch. The aluminum radiator was not quite as tall as the original and it just bent the fan tips forward when they hit the upper support.

15. Brandon A.

Brandon A. Binder Driver

Just in case this helps anyone Hayden I believe made a low profile heavy duty fan clutch just a few years ago that should bolt up and would give a little more clearance. I have not tried it but was planning on it a couple years ago but mine cleared ok without it..... Check their website.....