Fan clutch “chewed” into radiator

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Rollercam, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Rollercam

Rollercam Farmall Cub

Any ideas as to why my fan clutch “ate” into my radiator core after a few days of driving? The radiator is tight with no play. The fan assembly may have a little play, but not much. The clearance between the radiator core and clutch was very small (less than a 1/4”) after I got everything back together, but I called one of the IH specialty dealers/shops and they said the clearance is very, very close. I am not sure if there is enough frame flex to allow them to touch occasionally or if something else has shifted. All of my driving has been tame, urban driving. I heard no metal on metal noise. Any ideas would be appreciated. I don’t want this to happen again after I get the radiator repaired and back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Lives in an IH Dealership

What are the fan blades made of and might the flexing at high speed, or when pulling lots of air allow them to bend forward? That's my best guess... but...
    How much play is there in the engine mounts; are they all in good condition? There should be no noticeable play in the water pump shaft; might it have some but only under great load?

stroker3 likes this.
  3. Rollercam

Rollercam Farmall Cub

[​IMG]

Not a great picture, but it was the best I had right now. It “ate” into the coolant passages and puked the coolant on the floor and into the fan blades which then shot it all over the engine bay.

Motor mounts are good. No engine movement.

What kind of clearance
    Should I have between the radiator core and the fan clutch?

4. Bill Bennett

Bill Bennett High Wheeler

Is that a 'spacer' between the fan mount and the pump pulley? Can it be removed to get more clearance between the fan blades and the radiator core?

5. Rollercam

Rollercam Farmall Cub

Are you referring to the red part that the fan clutch is bolted to? If it is some sort of spacer, it was that way when I bought the scout. I would not know any better.

Here is another picture I have which my show what you are asking about more clearly.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  6. Bill Bennett

Bill Bennett High Wheeler

Is there enough space that removing the red spacer to move the fan assembly closer to the engine without the fan blades hitting the crankshaft pulley or anything else? You can make a thinner spacer with 1/8" or 1/4" hard Masonite. Use the existing spacer as a sample for size and to drill the bolt holes.

7. winchested

winchested Y-Block King

The Clutch fans do not use the spacer so if there is one it is not supposed to be there.

Bill Bennett likes this.
  8. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

1/4 inch is to close

Erik Morton likes this.
  9. stroker3

stroker3 Lives in an IH Dealership

Unsure what the issue is as well but as mentioned, there shouldn't be any play in the fan, especially being that close. Is that a 3 core radiator? I put one in a completely stock scout, it was close, can't remember if it was that close . Never hit plowing and banging around though. Only suggestion would be is to replace the clutch fan and maybe give yourself a little more space with a radiator that's thinner than the one that's in it now.

10. Rollercam

Rollercam Farmall Cub

Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to study this a bit more and maybe ask a buddy of mine to come see if he sees anything different than I do.

It appears to be a 3 core radiator.

Hopefully, I can figure something out to prevent this from happening again.

11. Jeff Jamison

Before you pull the rad,look and see if you could have the rad shop move the brackets back(this would move the core away from the fan) if there is enough room for the rad to move forward atleast 1/2 inch.

12. Ron A

Ron A High Wheeler

Even if the engine mounts are tight, with only 1/4" clearance, there is probably enough flex in the radiator core support to cause you problems. That flex in the core support is why many of us use isolators on the radiator mounts. Helps keep from tearing the mounting brackets off the tanks. Add your body mounts and bushings to the check list.

13. Rollercam

Rollercam Farmall Cub

I will double check that everything is tight. I just put on all new poly body mounts, but it never hurts to double check.

Any chance that it could have a longer replacement clutch fan?

14. Patrick Morris

Patrick Morris Lives in an IH Dealership

Ditto. Way too close. My rule is that you want at least enough clearance to get a belt between them. Otherwise, aside from this nasty problem, if you need to replace a belt or belts you'd have pull out the radiator. That's no fun to do in your driveway, let alone on the side of a highway.

stroker3 and Bill Bennett like this.
  15. Patrick Morris

So, are you saying you aren't going to remove this spacer? It would be great if we could see a pic of the water pump. I'd just like to make sure it isn't just the front end of the WP we're seeing.

And it's a three-row radiator. Not three cores. The radiator has one core, and the core contains three rows of cooling passages. May as well learn the terminology.

16. Rollercam

Rollercam Farmall Cub

Thanks. That was just a typo on my part. I do understand that there is one core and then the number rows vary. Although I have seen some half-core radiators. Sorry for my typo.

17. Rollercam

Rollercam Farmall Cub

There is no spacer. That is the front of the water pump. It is just painted red.

If there was a spacer I would remove it. I am game to do anything that would resolve the issue.

I know I am not the most mechanically inclined, but I am not completely ignorant. This is my first scout, but not my first old vehicle. I was just a Chevy muscle car guy before. Scouts are a whole new animal. They just don’t have all of the parts laying on shelves for scouts like they do for almost every Chevy. However, I am enjoying the adventure.

Erik Morton likes this.
  18. Patrick Morris

No worries. Hope I didn’t sound like I was scolding. Just trying to inform.

Moving on...

19. Patrick Morris

Yeah thought so. Not sure why people were referring to there being a spacer there.

I think the only easy solution for now is to remove the fan clutch. Run the fan directly off the pump. If not this fan then an inexpensive aftermarket flex fan. Lots of people do this. (Suggestion courtesy of J Tabor.)

You just need to make sure that the fan remains positioned within the shroud to some degree.

20. Jeff Jamison

Its still to close for a flex fan,I have seen plenty eat the rad.If you go that route use a good steel fan.