Exhaust Modification New Downpipe and EGT

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech' started by shades, Mar 16, 2020.

1. shades

shades Farmall Cub

I just dropped my 1980 SD33t at the muffler shop to finish this modification. I bought the 2.25 downpipe and installed it and also changed the air cleaner. I am trying to get the engine to breathe easier. Right away I heard something new. The turbo actually makes a noise! I hear the whistling that you hear on all newer diesel trucks. I think it is running better. I will tell you more when it returns from the muffler shop. Pretty exciting for me. I hope we have the RMIHR this year so I can show off my work this summer in Kremling or Salida CO. Keep Binding !

Darrel likes this.
  2. Jack Confer

Jack Confer Farmall Cub

do you have any pics to share? Thanks

3. kdsmit

kdsmit Farmall Cub

Mine, with out the turbo and a straight exhaust, 2 inch, full length, no muffler, sounded like a 6BT. It didn't create the same amount of power though. I finally put a muffler on it, it was just too loud. But it did sound good and turn heads!

Darrel and Jack Confer like this.
  4. Joe S

Joe S Farmall Cub

The TC does a lot to quiet the noise.

5. Sammy

Sammy Y-Block King

With the turbo a muffler is not needed, the turbo breaks up the exhaust impulses. Every diesel I've ever owned with a turbo lost its muffler, no extra noise, just the loss of a 50 lb. soot catcher.

6. shades

shades Farmall Cub

I got the truck back from the shop. They stepped up from 2.25 at the end of the new downpipe and then went 2.5 aluminized to the muffler and out the back in the same place as the original. I found that you can get in to the cab of the truck by following the antenna. I had to remove the cowell to gain access but now I have the sensor wires underneath the glovebox. I think I am going to mount the digital EGT gauge in the glove box. Once I get it in and powered up I will take pics and share.

7. tinker

tinker Farmall Cub

The EGT meter can slave your pistons. I suggest mounting it where it can easily be seen while driving up a mountain pass.
    Next thing you might consider is the smaller Mercedes turbine housing. It makes the turbo spool up sooner and makes a huge difference in seat of your pants power. Look f o r a thread " how to get real power out of your Sd33t"
    Enjoy the exhaust.

Jack Confer likes this.