Epic of the Travelall

Discussion in 'IH Scouts & Trucks of Oregon' started by Drew Merrick, Jun 26, 2008.

1. binderbound

binderbound High Wheeler

Drew- do what ever it takes to get it road worthy and drivable.....then leave it alone! drive it and enjoy it for what it is. Finish your scout resto or sell the scout so you can enjoy the T-all to its fullest potential. Some day I want to sell the new dodge and build a cummins powered 64-68 travelette. Roll in style.

2. John Donnelly

John Donnelly Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Drew,

Listen to this man. When I started Project: TerrorAll, I was planning on a lot of wild restoration work and getting ready to mire myself in years of work for no reason.

Instead, I listened to Dan, and to Carl (who were building RockScout at the time) and did what they suggested. Fix what is broken, and drive. Do other things as time allows, but don't sideline your rig.

Ever.

Personally, I would sell your Scout. Scouts are .... boring.

But that is me.

Enjoy your Travelall, I sure do love mine. :)

-John

3. IHtrucker

IHtrucker Farmall Cub

Hey Drew,

Forgot to ask... do you have a flatbed trailer?? I just dont have time to get Ed to the driveline shop, so I will probably tow him to the Bee... :stuart:
    I would love to drive him there, as thats what should be done... but, it I just might run out of time.

4. Drew Merrick

Drew Merrick Farmall Cub

Thanks Guys. That's exactly what I mean to do. Get it running. I was hoping to drive it or limp it into the Bee on it's own power. But I don't think that's going to happen.

The motor...
    I began by removing the spark plugs, fan, belts, valve covers, and shroud so I could get a socket on the crank. Then I moved the #8 to TDC using a pencil as a rod. Checked TDC on the harmonic balancer and it lined up to 0.

Uncapped and marked the distributor rotation on the housing and the housing to the engine for reference in stabbing it back in. Pulled the wires and the distributor.

Shot some marvel mystery oil down each cylinder, got the oil pump spinner set up and spun some oil. The portable oil pressure gauge showed 60 psi. After 10 minutes nothing was sludging through the rocker stands. Crank the engine backwards slowly and oil started moving freely through the odd side rockers. To bad I was only watching the even side. I filled the #5 and #3 cylinders with oil. Still hand cranking was shooting out thick streams of oil from these cylinders. My boys thought it was cool, but I had a few items drenched. Messy.

Next day I threw everything back together. Stabbed in the distributor put on new valve cover gaskets and spark plugs. I have two batteries. One from the scout and the other from the travelall. I had them both charged up showing more than 12 v across the terminals on each. I put the travelall battery in, set up an electric axillary fuel pump from a jerrycan directly to the carb and turned it on. I built a remote starter out of a momentary horn switch I got from stewarts auto (15 bucks for their remote was inhibative) for 1.48. Mounted that switch on a piece of 1/2" pvc with a hole drilled for wiring. Used 12 Ga wire with alligator clips. I pulled the trigger on the ignition and the motor turned like it was out of juice.

Put in the second battery and the same thing. Checked voltage on both batteries. Both are still over 12 v. I don't have an ammeater so I have to assume both batts are good. I throw 12 volts across the starter sitting in the driveway. The starter was sad and puked like a sick coyote. I got the starter from the 152 and threw some amperage at it. It spun like it should. I threw that starter in it and hooked up the electronics again. Pulled the trigger and PUKE. same thing. Spent a night or so thinking about it.

Hand cranks like butter, water pump spins freely when belts were off, alternator pulley spins by hand, starter bench tested as well as I can in the driveway... must be the battery. Cranking amps could be read, but I don't have a tool to do that.. so I put the original t-all battery back in after it charged for three days @ 2amps. It's a napa Orbital. A copy of the Optima batteries. Same cell design so it's different than a typical car battery.

Once the orbital was in I pulled the trigger and she turned easily. By now all the oil should have mostly been gone out of the cylinder. I threw in the plugs and crossed my fingers... a few backfires and chirps out of the carb is all I could get. The advance is definately retarded and there is a question weather I am a bit retarded as well. I played with it by hand but ran out of cranking juice. I jumpered the 'Burb to the t-all and stuck a block on the pedal for a bit more power. Fired the starter and though I came close i never got it to actually fire up.

Even if I get this motor to fire in the next couple of days I know that the Carb is fully screwed. The needle and seat are varnished and fuel has sat in the carb long enough to ruin it. And I haven't even touched the breaks yet.

Unless I find a trailer this won't make it to the binder bee. :pinch:

5. ss2

ss2 Farmall Cub

Sounds like a job for Mayben the carb man.. I'm not trailering much to the Bee this year. We can maybe work out somthing with my trailer again...:beer:

6. Drew Merrick

Drew Merrick Farmall Cub

I will get with you on that Mike. Maybe we can work something out.

I was doing my research on the numbers tonight. I don't have the Title to the vehicle.. maybe Ken has found it by now.

No lineset ticket anywhere on the glove box.
    According to the most recent registration I found (2001) this is registered as a 1964 IH SUV with the VIN: Sb31261410. This is a 9 digit serial consistent with a 1964 number. However, everything on the truck screams 1967. And according to the plate on the drivers side door the VIN is 713107H745924. this is a 13 digit VIN/Serial and consistent with a 1967. I found what looks like the original owners manual in the glove box. The model written in ink on the front cover is 1100B. That would also be consistent with a 1967. For a 1964 I would expect 1100C. Also, inside that manual I found a folded Oregon DMV yellow copy reciept for a temporary permit. I can barely make out the info on it but the VIN on that receipt is 713107H745924. This matches the door plate. I have not located the stamped serial on the frame rail. I am looking under the drivers side wheel well right now and trying to find it with a wire wheel on years of dust and undercoating.

The registration for the 64 is Lester Smallwood in Madras, Or. I have his number but havn't gotten ahold of him. The older faded receipt is for a Richard and Jo Anne Scarlett of Madras, OR. I cannot locate their phone number.

The only thing about the registration for the 1964 International SUV that matches my rig are the license plates. Something very fishy is going on here. :whistling:

7. IHGRAMP

IHGRAMP Farmall Cub

Drew

Must be your lucky day. I just found the title. The bad news is it has a different vin# than either of the two you mention. I have talked with Lester and he may be able to shed some light on the mystery. He will know if the original owner is still in the Madras area. The epic of the T all gets better every day!

8. Drew Merrick

Drew Merrick Farmall Cub

That is good news. Now it's time to find out which personality was is original to this schizo! :) Thanks Ken!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  9. Drew Merrick

Drew Merrick Farmall Cub

I got the title (thanks Ken) and the name matched the newest reg receipt (even though the numbers didn't) and finally got ahold of him. What I suspected was true. This guy had a few (6) travelalls and trucks at one time. He was a big game guide in eastern oregon and took clients out hunting with them.

I gave him the serial/vin off the truck and he found the title for it. Sending it now. He also has the head liner slats for it. Might run down there and pick them up, who knows what other parts he has laying around.

Looks like everythings ok.:clap:

10. Drew Merrick

Drew Merrick Farmall Cub

I got the pig to fire up tonight. After an extended period of days trying to play with the distributor to get the timing somewhere where it could start I finally set the engine to TDC on the compression stroke and saw the dizzy was 180 degrees screwed up. No wonder the PO had problems..

I just want to see this thing fire. so instead of trying to stab the thing in the default and original location I just rewired the cap to match the dizzy location.

I threw some gas down her throat and slapped the GO GO GO button on the homebrew remote starter. Instant rumble. She fired right up. Didn't even cough or spit. I was so amazed that forgot to keep throwing gas down her throat. She died about as quick as she started. But for 5 seconds she was sounding good.

Bad news though. That carb is jelly. Needle and seat have become one in the passion that is fuel varnish. Who knows what else is or isn't going on in that mixer. I am not going to take any shortcuts though. Banging a carb with a hammer just isn't my style nor setting off carb cleaner bombs and praying to the saint of harvesters for some intervention. Its gonna come off and either find it's way to Maybentown or end up on my bench with a direct open line to Maybentown. Either way I will be sending more cinnamon rolls down the McKenzie. :punk:

If life gives me enough daylight time tomorrow then I will get compression and leakdown tests done. Don't worry, I will post the numbers for all you number crunchers out there. The trick is trying to make Katy believe that working on the rig is in some way helping her out and essential to child rearing.:helpsmilie:

11. Wbrent7766

Wbrent7766 Farmall Cub

Drew
    I'm heading over to Bend on Sunday and could deliver your carb to Mike if you want to bring it down to Harrisburg on Saturday.

Wes

12. Lyle Wiese

Lyle Wiese High Wheeler

Hey Drew,

Glad to hear you were able to get the beast to fire. A good sign. Been there, done that with the dizzy being 180 out. They sound like they want to run, but just don't no matter how much you coax them. Just part of the learning experience.

I apologize for not getting the windshield down to the Bee. It didn't make it on the list of last minute things needing to be loaded. It will just give me an excuse to make a trip to Aumsville. I could also bring it to the next meeting, if that works for you.

Lyle

13. Drew Merrick

Drew Merrick Farmall Cub

Lyle, No worries on the windshield. I didn't expect you to bring it down with you given how much you had to do over the weekend. You don't have to make a special trip down here unless you want to. Next meeting will be just fine with me. I was hoping to have it running and driving to the next meeting.... but I spent all my parts cash on swag at the bee.

Although there seems to be a big back order on all of the Holley modular carb kits.. True Holley parts not that NAPA stuff (it's the good stuff?? err ok). I found a guy in Salem that has the goods. When I talked to him he said the list number is only part of the battle, wants me to bring the carb in directly so he can make sure to take care of any variants within the list number... This guy is good.

Performance Racing... Portland Road, Salem, OR.

14. IHGRAMP

IHGRAMP Farmall Cub

Drew

Check out the T-All that Tonka Toy posted. It runs and has barn doors.My trailer is available if you need it.

15. Drew Merrick

Drew Merrick Farmall Cub

Ken, Your going to have to be the one to save that travelall. It really looks good and straight in the pictures.

We have one more IH slot open at our place and my wife is claiming it as her own and want's to fill it with a late 40's - late 50's 'S' series truck.

16. Carl Wiese

Carl Wiese Moderator Staff Member Moderator

47-49=K series
    49-53=L Series
    53-55=R Series
    55-56=S Series

:D:D:D FWIW, I'd look for an K, R or S. The K's have really small cabs, you may have trouble fitting behind the wheel. R and S have a larger cab called a Comfo-Vision cab. As do the L's but the L's are just UGLY!

17. Drew Merrick

Drew Merrick Farmall Cub

rebuilt the carb on friday night. Saturday morning I had her running for the first time in years. I had to fix alot of the po's previous mistakes. the distributor was 180 off, the carb was rebuilt with the wrong gaskets, needle and seat. The fuel lines were butchered and the tanks are off.

I don't have the parts I need to put the tanks back together so I am running off a jerrycan right now through the mechanical fuel pump. Works well enough and it's fun to take out in the field. no breaks though.. that's the next step.:punk:

18. Wbrent7766

Wbrent7766 Farmall Cub

Hey Drew
    Who needs brakes anyway. You might see your travelall's twin at the meeting. Parts? Good news on getting it running. Looking forward to seeing it in person at some point.

19. IHGRAMP

IHGRAMP Farmall Cub

Wes & Drew

You will be able to see the twin at the meeting. I need to ask both of you to be a little careful about refering to "parts" when you are around it. I know the PO bought the vehicle "just for the windshield" and then was ready to haul her to the crusher. Then the next thing that happened was Jim Price chose to go see some "pretty ladies" rather than help rescue an "old truck".
    I'm afraid if you show up and say "parts" it may be more than it can handle.

Ken

20. ss2

ss2 Farmall Cub

Not only will "Parts" be there but she is running! :D I got home from the beach tonight and made a quick run to the shop to have a look at the new rig. Well one thing led to another and I ended up starting and driving it. Not a long trip just a mille or so down the road and back. But she didn't complain at all...:D Now I need to sell my 1974 Travelall.....:beer: