Epic of the Travelall

Discussion in 'IH Scouts & Trucks of Oregon' started by Drew Merrick, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Drew Merrick

Drew Merrick Farmall Cub

[​IMG]
    About two weeks ago I saw this listing on my local Craigs List site. 1964 International Travelall $500. Body straight 304. It was located just 3 miles from my house.

I immediately email the guy and ask him when I can come over and take a look at it. I asked him a couple of questions about the history of it as well. It took a couple of days before I got a response. All it said was "It's out on Olney, look at it whenever you want". That's it, no address, no "glad you like it", no nothing. So I took a drive down Olney and eventually found it. It was better than expected. The interior is in great shape. The body is in incredible shape. All the glass but the front wind shield is pristine. The gas tanks were sitting inside but looked like they had been dipped recently.

While I was looking at it his wife pulls into the long driveway. She looked at me like I was some kind of weirdo. I smiled and crawled out from under the T-all and explained that the gentleman selling the vehicle said I could come by and look at it anytime. She looked at me very strange and said "umm, yeah my husbands a busy man, maybe I can get your number and have him call you". So I pull out an IHSTO business card (I keep em in the glovebox for those times I see IH iron around) and write my number on it.:cornfused:

I went home and emailed him another time and said I was very impressed with it. I asked some more questions about the state of the motor, the drivetrain, etc. I asked him some questions about it's ability to drive and if it could be driven the 3 miles to my house. I also told him I would buy it. I waited three days without a phone call or an email. Finally I got his reply "needs to be trailered". That's it.. that's all. I am already thinking things are weird but now I am kind of peeved.:taz:

I sent him an email right back and said I was gone for the weekend but would like to get together on monday to make the deal. I left for the weekend and on Monday when I got back I noticed nothing in my email or no phone messages. No I am kind of pissed. Either this guy doesn't want to sell it or is going through some kind of divorce or this thing is stolen. But either way I just don't get this behavior. I rip him off another email (It's the only contact I have for him) and told him to meet me at the travelall at 6:00 pm with the title and I still had some questions.

About 5:30 pm he sends me another email that says "can't make it, maybe to morrow". So I fire off another right back and said ok, Tuesday 6:00 pm, bring the title. On tuesday I show up at the Travelall, money in hand, thinking about how crazy it is I am going to have to borrow the Roth's trailer in silverton just to pull a rig 3 miles. Time ticks by and soon it's nearly 7:00 pm. I get back in my car and start driving away when he finally shows up. Holy S*** I thought. This can't be true. He is here. So I hop out of the car and introduce myself. He looks at me like I am about the last person on the earth he wants to see.:no:

He got out of the car and says.. "Listen... I am sorry for giving you the run around but there is someone that is supposed to buy this already, the only reason I met with you is because he hasn't come yet":sweatdrop:. I was crushed but ready to latch on to the "yet" part. There is room here to close the deal. After all I am standing there with money in my hand right now, where is this other guy eh? So I start talking to him about his alternatives. I ask him about the title and if it's clean. He says the title is clean but he doesn't have it with him. He says that he has got to "retrieve it". Ok, no big deal. I trust the guy. So I say well can you get the title any time soon. He tells me "Well.. you see.. hmm.. the guy already paid for it" :eek: "But he hasn't picked it up yet. I wanted this thing gone, that's why I am asking a low price".

As a joke that only I would get and appreciate I asked him. "It isn't a Roth is it? Ken Roth?" His looked at me sideways and said.. "Yeah, that's the guy. Ken Roth". I must have cackled for a mere second but it felt like that cackle cut the air like a knife. Maybe like the wicked witch of the west letting loose her army of monkeys. So whip out the white phone of justice and hit the internal address book to the Roth listings. I dial up Ken and when he answered the phone I tell him we are both shooting the same Turkey.

In the end it turned out that Ken was happy I could take it. He bought it on the way to the last IHSTO meeting because it was a deal he couldn't pass up. But knowing he had enough IH iron to choke a combine he was happy to let me take it. Since I was going to need his trailer anyways to haul it I just scooted my butt down to his place and paid him, took his trailer and went on my way.

The travelall is now sitting happily in my driveway with a big 'ol smile on it's face. But.... Now my wife has seen the incrediwonderous s100 (partly pink) sitting in Ken's driveway. The same s100 I said I wanted to buy the night before the last IHSTO meeting. The same s100 she vehemently said no to. The same s100 she fell in love with last night. I know that Mike isn't ready to part with that yet, but someday... "Muahahahahahah"

The moral of the story is that your never going to beat Mike or Ken Roth to an IH deal, best you can do is tie.:beer:

Thanks Mike and Ken.. I am forever greatfull!

Attached Files:

2. Drew Merrick

Drew Merrick Farmall Cub

Here she sits in my driveway.

(crappy phone pics)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. Carl Wiese

Carl Wiese Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Nice Score Drew!! Now you've got a family hauler! You've got to watch those Roth guys, the are shifty!!

4. Monte Lauer

Monte Lauer Farmall Cub

Drew that is a great story. Looks like you have more than one IH project now. Now comes the fun part, splitting your time and money between the two.:D It looks like it is in pretty good shape. What is it going to take to make it hit the pavement again?

5. Drew Merrick

Drew Merrick Farmall Cub

Thanks Carl. Now it means that the hunt for 304/392 and parts is back on again.

6. Drew Merrick

Drew Merrick Farmall Cub

Thanks Monte!!

The T-all needs a breakjob, carb rebuild, fuel system re-installed and she should be running with a dead #8 Cylinder. But I am suspecting that the 304 in it now is a bit tired and might not even be a good candidate for a core. Oh yeah, the springs are so flat you could use them for checking level in a precision machine shop.

My hope is that the travelall can get on the road with minimal time and effort. That way I have something IH to drive around while the 80 takes up all the time and attention. Eventually the T-all will get the full meal deal cleanup as well.

7. John Donnelly

John Donnelly Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Congrats on getting a real IH truck! :)

The springs on those rigs are normally flat.

I can help you with brakes and such. Pray your drums are still in good shape, that is a 6 lugger.

-John

P.S. You have a PM from me, I would appreciate a reply to it.

8. ss2

ss2 Farmall Cub

Glad it made it home Drew! :D I expect to see you drive it to the GWBB.:D

9. Lyle Wiese

Lyle Wiese High Wheeler

Congrats on the Travelall, Drew. Great story. Travelalls are the best for hauling whatever it is you have to haul.

Lyle

10. M. Mayben

M. Mayben High Wheeler

The tools for the "engine crank" process are in the "special" bag and loaded. I also have a compression gauge set AND a "leakdown" tester that will tell ya MORE than ya ever wanted to know about tha maybe dead hole on tha 8lunger.

I'll trade ya that stuff for the backloan of my cherrypicker and bodylifteroffers. Then ya kin trade 'em back to me at tha Bee.

DO NOT try and spin tha motor 'til we do tha "process". We gotta success rate of .500 goin' right now, can't afford to lower the numbers.

Ya kin score 'em at Grampa Roth's tree lot Satidy mornin', I'll be there by 9ayem.

11. Wbrent7766

Wbrent7766 Farmall Cub

Great score. Only 2 weeks till the Bee. The question is... will it ready?
    Wes

12. IHtrucker

IHtrucker Farmall Cub

Finally got to Drew's house to meet the family, and check out the T-all. Thanks Drew! Got to meet Mike Mayben, and talk IH for a few hours with the both of them. Great time, and Drew's T-all is a keeper. Looks to be original, and unmolested. Very cool, and cant wait to see what he does with it.

Drew, checked again last night for parts... but looks like you have most of the parts already on the T-all... which will make life easier!

Got to get the driveline lengthened and a front steer stabilizer if I plan on getting Ed to the Bee.... going to be down to the wire!

13. M. Mayben

M. Mayben High Wheeler

Boy did we ALL have a successful day dealin' in junkiron yestidy! Met NEW FOLKS (IHtrucker!), Drew went ta skool some more (he's hell on cleanin' batteries in fire trucks), and ALL of the crap at the Roth compound is now functional, including the pumpmotor on the firewagon! And that biker bar where them Roth boys keep an office suite in the back room throws sum meanazz burgers down on tha table...whatta place ta call home!

And this latest score for Drew's growing bonepile (enabled by Granpa Roth), is the BEST example of a totally original, totally unmolested 3rd gen T'all I've ever seen. It's been used but not abused. Yeah, some will bee at the Bee that are far nicer currently, but I bet none of 'em started out as a platform as solid as this one!

Drew's a nuub...he don't deserve ta start out with somethin' this solid! That's OK, he'll git tired of it quickly and then I'll save hiz butt and make shore he don't loose no dinero on it. Then I can turn it back ta Granpa for double or nuthin'.

I got home at 2:30ayem this mornin' and I'm STILL wound up likea inertia couplin' onna Fairbanks magneto!

14. ss2

ss2 Farmall Cub

The Fire Truck was fixed just in time too.......................................
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Boy were my kids happy to see the Fire Truck roll in with 400 gals of water for their pool. :clap::clap: Thanks for all your help Drew and Mike.:beer:

15. Drew Merrick

Drew Merrick Farmall Cub

Wes, thanks man I hope to have it running so I can drive it to the Bee

Lyle, thanks!! Mike has pointed me your direction for a front windsheild you might need taken out of your way.

This weekend I made a deal with my wife. Let me have Saturday so I can go down to the Roth's and work on Ol' Smokey and you can have Sunday to scrap book all day long.

We had a great day on Saturday. It was hot as hell, no doubt about that and it would have been nice if that pump would have been working before I went home. I would have liked a spray down every 15 minutes :wacko: I learned quite a bit that day including Mayben's Redneck timing jobber. Timing light? we don't need no stinkin' timing light.

Saturday evening IHTrucker came over. It was great luck hooking up with him. His Ed project is almost complete and I was a little sad that he couldn't drive it over. He did bring me a great set of radials already on the split/lock wheels. Oh Fortunae!

Mike Mayben (we have way to many Mikes!) showed up after he and the Roth's got the incredible IH Fleet in proper working order. They are truly a family in the spirit of the old underground railroad. They have IH iron stashed all over the place and across many states that no crusher will ever find them. In fact the GPS system has trouble locating their compound. Ken must be running some kind of IH based signal scrambler. Just ask Mike Mayben how many times he has had to turn around to get to Kens. :beer:

Back on topic... Mayben showed up at my place just in time to meet IHTrucker. We had a good evening of talk and inspecting the Travelall. This travelall seems to sport a kind of trim package that was fairly uncommon. I will post pics of the interesting pieces as soon as I take them. Mike also dropped off his oil spinner kit and his jerrycan fuel bypass system. Unfortunately I had the kids and the 8month old on sunday... So I didn't get a chance to get that motor running. But IHTrucker is looking to get a job with the State Police. Maybe Carl can use his ties to ensure proper placement of IH Brethren ;).

I am looking at a 304 from Doc Stewart and a possible unknown 304 with an auto transmission from Monte. That lil pink scout scoots. His wife is quite a driver. Check out 'Lil Pink Scout' on Youtube for some impressive footage.

Good luck with that Monte.. sorry I keep ending up working on IH stuff during your racing weekend.

16. greenguy

greenguy Farmall Cub

Drew,

I'm a "newbie" to the IH thing. I also saw the travelall on Craigs List and only received a "sold" response. I'm glad it went to a good home.

Dave

17. Monte Lauer

Monte Lauer Farmall Cub

Drew I will get back to you later this week on the motor and tranny. And thank you for the kind words about my wife and her Lil' Pink Scout.

18. Lyle Wiese

Lyle Wiese High Wheeler

Yep, you bet. It was being saved for a project in Mayben's driveway, but it sounds like he has relinquished it. It's not perfect, but it's not broke. I will try to bring it to the Binder Bee if space allows.

Lyle

19. M. Mayben

M. Mayben High Wheeler

Glad ya mentioned the windshield Drew, I forgot to let Lyle and Carl know it was OK to "release" it!

Kathy told me last nite that the Roth's need Wilbur to live at their place for awhile...of course my comeback was..."I'm fixxin' too".

Regarding glass...there will be info in the Bee Registration Packets regarding a new venture that PPG is pushing, a division of their company known as "Vintage Group" supplying glass applications for vehicles prior to M/Y 1980.

I've got Aug. 1>3 set aside now for a work weekend on all yore junk. I'll bring my own motel.

By the way, the boyz left their camera tripod in the trailer Satidy nite, I'll bring it to tha Bee.

20. Monte Lauer

Monte Lauer Farmall Cub

OK Drew, I talked to my people and they said the motor and tranny is all yours free of charge. They also said there is a few other parts you can have as well. Give me a jingle.