engine swap maybe

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Doug patton, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Doug patton

Doug patton Farmall Cub

Hi I just got 2 1961 scout 80s one is a parts truck other one is good. engine not running but no rust or dents. there both 2wd the good one was thinking of putting a 2.3 turbo engine out of a merkur xr4ti in it with 5 speed. would doing that kill the value of it. also it was the 712th one made.
    the turbo engine is like 170 or so hp. or just level it stock. just asking to see what all think. thanks

2. patrick r

patrick r Binder Driver

#712, NICE!
    Given the upswing in value of Scouts I’d say stock restoration if you are at all concerned about value. It sounds like you could make one nice one fairly easily.
    I have #1926 and anything I do going forward will be to keep or make it stock.
    Post some pics when you can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Smb09300

Smb09300 Farmall Cub

Didn't IH make a turbo 4banger?

4. winchested

winchested High Wheeler

There's no value in a non running engine. Do what makes you happy. Build it the way you want it. Who cares how much it can sell for.

These aren't 1 of 100 made Mustangs.

kdsmit, scout2000 and supercrouton like this.
  5. mallen

mallen High Wheeler

Yes an engine swap will damage the value of a classic vehicle in most cases. No doubt about it. You see people advertising their vehicle with a ls or sbc as if it makes it more valuable but it's just the opposite. My thought when I see one is, oh God, there's someone's hacked up, cobbled together mess. If I wanted a scout with a sbc, if find a decent one while a blown engine and do it myself, because I'm going to hate the way someone we else did it. So if your worried about value, stay as stock as possible. If you just want it to drive around, it won't matter. No matter what though, you rarely can get your money out.

It should be noted, stock means how it came, not something similar that fits . While people like me prefer a ih ihgine in an IH vehicle and for my own use, I'm not going to quibble over a truck that came with a 266 and now has a 345, a 345 in a vehicle that came with a 266, isn't that much different than a sbc when it comes to vehicle value, it's not the right engine, except perhaps that it would be less effort to try and put it back like it was, and perhaps it might be a cleaner install.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  6. MrKenmore

MrKenmore Y-Block King

They sure did!

I think your engine swap idea is neat. Do whatever you like / have easy access to.

7. mallen

mallen High Wheeler

I'd take a scout with a perfect body and a blown 345 over that same truck with a brand new sbc any day for the same price. One just needs an engine, and it's fine, the other has the wrong engine and probably transmission and transfer case, and who knows what done to it to make it all fit.

8. kdsmit

kdsmit Farmall Cub

It all depends on what your plans are. If you are looking to take it to the concourse and then sell it, then keep it original. If you are looking to build a cool cruiser, that you can enjoy, then let your imagination be your guide. The easiest simplest thing to do would be to find a running IH engine or one that you can make run and put it in, if you cannot make the engine in it run. If you have the donor Merkur engine/trans and are looking for a project, then go for it! There are a lot of engine swap options and a lot of info here. Read the posts and make your plan and do it. Then enjoy it!

9. Darrel

Darrel Dreams of Cub Cadets

What kdsmit said. What can you see yourself driving and enjoying 5, 10, 20 years from now?

kdsmit likes this.