Engine Paint

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by bubs_42, Nov 14, 2014.

1. bubs_42

bubs_42 Farmall Cub

What is the most common paint everyone uses to paint your Engine. I had an Engine Rebuilt this time last year and the shop assembled it and shot it with paint. I didn't want them to paint it but the weather was already turning last year and my shop is not heated. Now what I have is a nice engine loaded with Stainless bolts that i'm just getting ready to complete and keep this project moving, the only problem is the freaking paint didn't not get good coverage and its coming off anything smooth. I cleaned up any rusty spots and primed and working around the bolts. I have been using VHT Paint but I have not been able to get a color that matches, everything is too orange.

Tried Ford and Dodge Red, Chevy Red looking at VHT SP121 Bright Red or Rocket Red.

Little Help :(

2. George Womack

George Womack Y-Block King

I use Krylon Farm & Implement 1818 IH Red. You don't need high heat paint for your engine.

jeff campbell likes this.
  3. eightOsix

eightOsix Binder Driver

I used Rustoleum Universal Red Engine Paint. I think the color matched what I could see on my engine that was sheltered from the elements.

Attached Files:

4. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

really don't matter what paint you use, it's still gonna burn off in the middle of the intake manifold. jeff

5. Erik VanRenselaar

Erik VanRenselaar Y-Block King

Same here.

6. Bill USN-1

Bill USN-1 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Not if you insert the block offs for the cross over!

As mentioned, just about any paint will work if the prep is done properly.
    I have used the universal red engine enamel in the spray bombs and have also used the same paint I painted the body with.

The body paint has held up the best over the years.
    No primer used on any of my engines.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  7. TBAKPhi22

TBAKPhi22 Binder Driver

I have used the Ferd red... pretty close. Had some heads done a while back and they painted them with chebby orange! Ugh, had to repaint those. Rusty metal primer works well too, along with brake cleaner spray beforehand (evaporates and doesn't leave a residue like carb cleaner). Mine has lasted well, but yes like the others have mentioned, the paint burns off the exhaust crossover in the manifold. Not much you can do about that.

8. tdc

tdc Dreams of Cub Cadets

Klingon 1818 IH Red

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  9. bubs_42

bubs_42 Farmall Cub

Thanks Guys, i'm going to try sand down what I can, touch up and coat it again.

10. Jack104

Jack104 Farmall Cub

That's an awesome red! I'm looking to paint an S&S motorcycle engine this same color - can you tell me where you got that color and the name and brand?

thank you very much in advance!

Jack

11. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Lives in an IH Dealership

Despite the fact that this thread is ancient, the information may still be useful to current members painting engines and such. Here's a chart that lists a number of different brands to cross to IH colors. Doing a search for 1818 will take you to that specific section quickly:
    http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Paint, Decals & Other Finish Questions/Farmall Paint Chart - 01.htm

12. scout2000

scout2000 Dreams of Cub Cadets

I'm still doing very well with my Tractor Supply IH Red.

RinTX likes this.
  13. mallen

mallen High Wheeler

I
    Be been using a bucket of case IH red tractor and implement paint o got at the farm store.

14. RinTX

RinTX High Wheeler

I noticed my local tractor supply was now carrying some Rustoleum brand farm equipment paints. Pretty sure there was an IH Red. I’ll check again next time I’m there.

15. mallen

mallen High Wheeler

Mine came in a quart can or a gallon bucket and there was an optional hardner. I purchased the hardner and the quart can. It goes on really nice with a brush and then flattens with no brush marks. But it takes a good day to dry. Once it bakes on with the hot engine, it's very durable and it sat in the sun for a year and a half, only covered when it rained with a tarp, but the rest of the time being in full California central valley sun. It held up very well without excessive fading or turning chalky. (Perhaps due in part to the hardener) I did start to break down in a corner that had coolant pooled in it for a few months. I applied it to my intake manifold by first having the manifold hot tanked. It came back with a light coat of surface rust because wI butdid ithnor have them oil dip it because I was painting. All the crud , crust and grease and old paint gone though. I ten taped off the flanges and machined surfaces and plugged all the holes and sprayed it with Rust-Oleum rust reformer. That's a tartaric avid based rust converter that turns the rust into a primer like surface. I then mixed up the appropriate hardener with the paint and brushed it on. (FYI it gets EVERYWHERE and it's bright red so your wife or girlfriend WILL notice if you try to do it on the kitchen counter whole she's at her sisters. Unless your luck enough to be an array crafty type that allways has a canvas she's painting something on I guess)

Here's a link for what I bought. I got it at CAL Ranch Stores in Utah.
    https://www.vansicklepaint.com/products/tractor-equipment-industrial-enamel

Here's an thread where we discussed something similar
    http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/...aint-for-ih-motors-8-2972.114996/#post-816217

TorqueMonster1 likes this.