EMP atttack & 74-80 Scout II electronic ignition

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Brian Schermann, Feb 20, 2012.

1. scorp1us

scorp1us High Wheeler

Move to the west coast, but not in any major city. If the US gets nuked, the fallout will spread east and contaminate everything to the East, therefore go West.
    Unfortunately the west is pretty arid, and you need to be in NoCal to PNW. Anything to the south is too dry and anything east is too contaminated.

Really your best bet is to do some sea-steading on the west coast. This also fixes you need for a running land vehicle. Then get South of the Equator, unless SA , Africa or Australia get hit too. The radiation interchange from north/south hemisphere is not that strong. Eventually it will happen, but it'll be weakened.

As for land lubbers, any metallic building with a grounded floor (think metal or metal screen) should be fine. Multiple layers (outer housing, so a screen would help stress on the NP junctions). Don't forget your electronics are in a metal body too. You could just keep your electronic components in a separate place. A backup alternator, dist, ECU, won't run that much, all under $200. Plus you have spares :) This has the advantage of taking up a much smaller space and being portable, unlike a metal shed.

Check out the old movie "Panic in the Year Zero" to see how it would all go down.

2. Landry

Landry Farmall Cub

With EMP, I don't think fallout is the major issue, since the explosions are intended to take place in the upper atmosphere, in order to maximize the chain-reaction effect. I'm sure there will be some fallout, but not nearly as much as a detonation close to the ground.

I'm not sure I understand your second paragraph. It seems like you're talking about moving to the Pacific Northwest (which I'm unable to do anyway) and buying a boat. I would think boats would be affected to the same extent as cars. I don't know much about boats, but like cars, I assume some would have susceptible electronics and some would not. So a boat might put you in the same "boat" as a car. (And no, I don't know how to handle a schooner!)

As for the metal building or metal screened building with a grounded floor, what little reading I've done indicates that not just any metal building will do. The screen has to be well-bonded at various points.

The existing metal housings for the electronics may or may not be sufficient. When the EMP wave crosses the wiring going to and from those electroncs, they're liable to induce voltage spikes beyond the limits of the electronics.

I do think keeping spares in a shielded location is a great idea, but I wish I knew if any tests had been done on items just laying around, both unshielded and uninstalled.

3. Landry

Landry Farmall Cub

Good info, bmacguyver and pri. Thanks! Great to know that not only does an original Scout diesel not have electronic ignition, but there are other diesel options as well.

4. Bryan G

Bryan G Farmall Cub

I've daydreamt about this a bit, figuring on not a full-blown melt-your-buns attack but a miles-high over Chicago EMP attack that leaves none of us radiated, but chaos across the land. By the second night of a widespread blackout, things aren't going to be pretty.

Seems to me that, in those circumstances, any running vehicle is going to be in great demand. I'm thinking it would pay to be in tight with the local authorities, who could really treat you right...or could just confiscate your IH and be done with it. In those circumstances I don't think gas would be too big of a problem in the short term, it would just take some creativity as far as turning the pumps without electric. I remember a great photo from a big British blackout a few decade ago where they ran a belt from the pump to the back wheel of a bicycle. I can imagine that in a rural county like where I live, where most everyone in charge is a "good ole boy" on some level or another, things could be made to happen. I'd want a good excuse for them to keep me fed!

Points and carb on my old rigs; I've never had an alternator apart (shame on me), guess changing a diode isn't that hard? Or rig up an old external regulator?

5. Jay Tabor

Jay Tabor Banned

PAC NW IS ALLREADY HEAVILY CONTAMINATED WITH radioactive debris from the fukushimas' reactors melt down.
    a sail boat is a good thing, but again- where ya gonna go?
    assuming you can get to it, its allready packed with all your possesions, and food, and properly prepped. you are able to get to the open sea from the bay/harbor etc . .
    do you know celestial nav? got current charts and naut almanac, compass, time piece and sextant . .????
    got crew? if the boats tiny enough for only one person itll be a real slow sail to nowhere,
    a larger boat has a better hull speed, but youll need crew, able bodied experienced to sail it, will they all be at the boat in time?????????
    or are you real good at deduced reckoning, all the sat nav and loran and gps aint gonna be working. might not be able to get the time signal from denver . . if your radios work . .
    so.........
    sail on . . . sooner or later youll bump into some land . .
    maybe they wont want you there, or are cannibals , , take all yer stuff . .
    no matter what itll be real rough times . .

6. pwschuh

pwschuh Farmall Cub

Done. Ain't skeer'd.

7. kb'sforme

kb'sforme High Wheeler

I'll second that! Today is a good day to die.
    But untill that time I will exersize my second amendment rights!

8. Landry

Landry Farmall Cub

Agreed. I'm ready for the Second Coming. But it's the time BEFORE that I'm trying to prepare for.

It's like Billy Graham said: "I'm not scared of dying. It's the process before the death that I'm worried about."

John Lovdokken likes this.
  9. John Lovdokken

John Lovdokken Farmall Cub

10. Ron A

Ron A High Wheeler

Old reliable. No gas or diesel needed. IMG_1009.JPG

jacksd3 likes this.