EMP atttack & 74-80 Scout II electronic ignition

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Brian Schermann, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Brian Schermann

Brian Schermann Binder Driver

Weird questions: After watching Doomsday Preppers on NatGeo and the topic of EMP attacks

1. What does the group think about 74 - 80 Scout II stock electronic ignition components and their survivability in the event of a EMP burst attack?

2. What about aftermarket components like Pertronix modules?

3. What about GM HEI style like DUI makes?

4. What about GM TBI, HEI and computer modules from 87-95 GM trucks, blazers and suburbans.

5. Finally would a Scout II make a good bug out type vehicle.

Thanks
    Brian
    1980 Scout II, 345, T19W, 4:10s, lockrites on 35's
    77 Terra Pile O parts 1 ton crawler project

2. Mike Moore

Mike Moore Dreams of Cub Cadets

Buy more guns and ammo...and stay home. Buggin' out is for sissies.

3. Mike Moore

Mike Moore Dreams of Cub Cadets

If bug out you must...SD33T that mofo! It won't be fast about it, but it will getcha outta Dodge (as long as it's not cold outside)!

4. Bill USN-1

Bill USN-1 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Theoretically, any PN junction in an electronic device will be burned when hit with an EMP pulse unless it is EMP hardened. Meaning it has to be shielded from the pulse.

Plenty of testing has been done in the military, in fact there are EMP hangars that they pull a plane into than actually simpulate blasting it with free electons.

Best to grab some of that gray, electronic baggies. The gray is a thin lead lining that will help protect the part. It needs to be sealed. Then you could even lock it in a steel box.
    Then after the blast, just pull out the spare parts and install in your vehicle.

You could also throw a points distr/coil and dare I even utter the word...carb in your stash of parts.

Diesel is a good option if an older one with no electronics.

But your next issue will be a way to store gas for your 10mpg IH and even clean water and food that hasn't been contaminated with radiation.

Plenty to prepare for and over come if your really serious.

Better to move to an under ground cave with air scrubbers to recycle the air.

5. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

We have had that dicusion(me and some freinds) my scout 80 should have no problem,and one of the only things around that will go,points and carb,oil bath aircleaner(proven to work in volcanic ash) and 3 speed so I can catch in gear when batteries dont work no more.3 of my others have points,have extra oilbaths,but they are all automatics ,so they need battereis
    Jeff

6. kb'sforme

kb'sforme High Wheeler

magneto!

7. Caveblazin

Caveblazin Farmall Cub

If your gonna use a vehicel for a bug out rig the scouts are perfect. Your first BOL should be no more than 2 hrs so a full tank of gas and an extra 5 gal fuel tank should work fine. You should be fine with the points setup especially if you carry an extra set and as explained abouve have it sealed in a Mylar type bag. The Scouts are great cause you can load them down with enough BOG (bug out gear)to get you to the BOL.. Another reason forr them being good is the ability to go offroad. When the "brown smelly stuff hits the rotating receptical" the main highways will be cluttered with traffic so offroad may be your best option.. I've already said to much Im going to get my aluminum helmet now so the government doesn't erase my memory haha!!

8. Brian Schermann

Brian Schermann Binder Driver

Awesome replies guys, except for Mike...:yes:

He has a defendable hill top location, in the country with a pond for water, and enough land to grow crops for years. Proably already has a secret bunker under the scout barn...

I'll have a large portion of the DC Metro area walking refugees within a mile of my house, within a few days of such an event.

Heck I'll just Bug Out to Mike's place....:gun_bandana:

I better start prepping....Metal box, farday cage, ground rod, and more ammo, a battery & hand powered siphon to get fuel....

Since I retired from the USAF I haven't seen any of those gray anti-static bags laying around

Keep the ideas coming

Thanks
    Brian

9. BWOOD

BWOOD Farmall Cub

Pass the bullets and get to know Jesus. I am going out in a blaze of glory with a hail of gunfire.

10. dkterra

dkterra Binder Driver

Are you going to be on that show?

11. Jay Tabor

Jay Tabor Banned

silly question and most answers.
    emp blast close enough to fry yer lectrics . .
    guess what that did to yer body,too!
    think the perps are gonna go aLL HIGH TECH nuckler?
    and just fry your 'lectric radio and casio watch?
    what about all of dem wires? and plastic switches and stuff . .
    no- its gonna be standard nukes with standard amounts of blast and vaporization . .
    if you are within the blast zone------ last thing yer gonna need is a car.
    look at the photos of hiroshima and nagasaki after the blasts.
    see anyone driving or walking?

bug out? to where? on what? a road? with cracked and buckled concrete big holes, fallen buildings,and bridges that fell down?
    remember katrina and those thousands of fools stuck on the interstates?
    think the heat blast wont instantly boil yer gasoleen?
    if you hear about an incoming nuke- TO YER AO, just take yer lawn chair outside and watch the light show-ITLL BE A BLAST!!

jacksd3 likes this.
  12. Mark Aycock

Mark Aycock High Wheeler

13. 46binder

46binder Binder Driver

EMPs? its the zombies you have to prepare for!

14. Jay Tabor

Jay Tabor Banned

zombies?? Im holeing up in a farm house! me and 5 others..

15. Caveblazin

Caveblazin Farmall Cub

Actually there are two forms of Nuclear blasts. You can have a air detonation and ground detonation. Both produce EMP type pulses only and air detonated nuke will cause a large broad span of EMP pulses. An air detonated nuke will also cause radiation to spread further because the ground doesn't absorb all the explosion therefore the prevailing winds will carry the radiation further and faster. Just FYI..

16. Jay Tabor

Jay Tabor Banned

exactly, NO sense driving/traveling down wind -after the blast . . getting more and more rad exposure.
    best thing is to be 100 miles away++ ---> up wind,
    - or be at ground zero and get it over with rather quickly . .
    lets all just hop in that radioactive car- filled with radioactive dust and go for a picnic!!
    dont forget to tune to local radio station for the news weather and traffic!
    and dont ferget driving at night-- yer headlights wont work, but thats ok youll be glowing in the dark!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  17. Feedforward

Feedforward Farmall Cub

Don't forget the diodes in the alternator. Me, I'm getting a horse. I hear they taste pretty good.

18. Landry

Landry Farmall Cub

After reading Arthur Bradley's "Handbook to Practical Disaster Preparedness" and William Forstchen's "One Second After", I'm in the market for a pre-1980 SUV/truck without electronic ignition.

After seeing the entusiasm you guys have for the Scouts, and reading about the SSII's domination at the Baja race, I really have my eyes set on a diesel Scout (diesel due to the extended storage ability). However, from what I've read here, they have electronic ignition? What years/engines have it?

I've seen some posts and articles about engine swaps, including a GM 6.5L diesel. Does that have electronic ignition?

BTW, when I opened Arthur Bradley's web page, I see he has a new book about EMP and Solar flares. I might buy it, but I really need to purchase another vehicle quickly, and I really want it to be a Scout, but without electronic ignition.

Appreciate y'alls input. Most of you guys really sound like you know what you're talking about!

19. bmacguyver

bmacguyver High Wheeler

The sd33 only needs power to heat the glow plugs for cold start assist Andrei spin the starter, the 6.2/6.5, and the 6.9/7.3 idi also need a 12v signal to the run solenoid ,noelectronics on any of the above .
    Hth
    Mac

20. pri

pri High Wheeler

The 6.2 is as you described, but the 6.5 is a whole new story. Older ones, like the first ones are ok, they have the DB2 injection pump too, but later ones with the DS4 IP are more heavy on electronics. They're a no-no in the case of EMP.

-Paul