Electrical questions Scout 800

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Mark B 70SR2, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Mark B 70SR2

Mark B 70SR2 High Wheeler

I'm working on electrical in my spare time the next few weeks, and I need a place to ask questions as I go. I have the 4wheelinjunky wiring kit that I bought about 4 years ago, but have always found an excuse not to install it. I get most of the electrical system, but I am not sure of how the hazards, and the dash turn signal lights and a few other things are supposed to go. In fact, to give you a little background, I've never had working flashers blinkers, etc since I've owned it. My brake lights are a fused positive that goes through the pedal switch, strait to the rear lights. I have green wires wrapped around the e brake by the dozen... I picked up a supposed original headlight switch a few years ago. Luckily I was able to match most of the circuits from matching the numbers on the wires to my manual. On the attached photo is the switch. Here are my first questions.... 1. There was no dome light circuit attached to the switch. I'm guessing it is the very front post? Is it? 2. There is a block at the very rear with 20A stamped on it. Is this a fuse? If it goes out does it have a reset. or will I have to pull the dash and replace it? Should I keep it, or bypass it and rely on the easy to access fuse in my rewire kit? I have the headlights on relays so there shouldn't be much current there.

Attached Files:

2. lev1a

lev1a High Wheeler

Mark I have no knowledge of the baby scouts electrical system, but as far as the headlight switch goes I would use a 70 something headlight switch from a chevy pickup vs. the old one you have if you are going to rewire your rig anyway. They are about 13 bucks I believe and basically the same ,plug and internal wise as a scout II. Here is a link to a thread in gulf coast binders on baby scout rewire. Might be able to bounce some ???? off of kb'sforme. :beer:

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95784&highlight=project+sparky

3. 800bman

800bman High Wheeler

I agree, that link to the electrical build is super helpful. I know you were just referring to the headlight switch but that whole thread is great!

4. 250gibson

250gibson Binder Driver

800s didn't have dome lights. The very front post is the rehostat controlled post. If is for the dash panel lights. turing the knob will dim/brighten the dash panel lighting

The block on the back marked 20A is a thermal circut breaker. It will trip when too much current goes through. It will reset itself when it cools down. I would keep it if it works

5. Mark B 70SR2

Mark B 70SR2 High Wheeler

Thanks, my apologies, Imeant courtesy light, not dome light.

6. 800bman

800bman High Wheeler

Are we sure there was 'never' a dome light offered as a factory option in an 800?
    I have owned two 800's myself that had them and they look darn original.:beer:

7. joe_r95

joe_r95 Farmall Cub

Sport tops had dome lights, others may have. Pretty sure the headlamp switch had nothing to do with the dome lamps back then.