Electric Scout conversion

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by G-funk, Apr 11, 2018.

1. mallen

mallen High Wheeler

The issue I see is the aerodynamics. While I love scouts, I'd think one of the mini trucks would work better. Smaller, but enough capacity for batteries. Remove the bed and ma
    Ford used to make a 4WD hybrid escape. They discontinued it because most people willing to pay an the extra money wanted 4wd not the hybrid power train, but it got something like 35mpg. I all ways felt they made a big mistake not making them both hybrid AND 4wd. The conventional explanation is that with the extra weight and power train losses of 4wd it made no sense to make it hybrid as well in the same vehicle. But if you think about it would have really been awesome. The 4WD system in an escape can't put it's full power to the rear wheels. I've heard it can only send about 20% or so. But that's ok, because it's not meant to be a off-road vehicle, it's full time 4wd system is just meant to keep you from getting stuck in snow or mud.
    What they should have done was make the engine and transmission in a 4wd yhe exact same as the 2wd, except it has a generator on it. The rear axle would have an electric motor on a lightweight differential. On dry pavement, the hybrid assist would come not from the drive wheels that are connected to the transaxle, but fro. The REAR wheels. Regenerative braking would come both from the rear wheels AND from the generator on the engine, slowing the front wheels. In essence, the drive shaft and transfer case are replaced by an electric motor on the rear differential, and a generator on the engine. In fact, rather than have an alternator at all, it would work best having a large permenant magnet DC generator, perhaps 140-280v output, attached to the engine. Probably sandwiched between the transmission and engine. I image a high voltage buss that be fed by or feed the generator, the rear differential motor, and the 12v inverter. You rectify the highhvoltage i DC with a high efficiency synchronous rectifier, and then use a switching regulator to produce sufficient 12v power for the vehicle electronics. The hybrid battery would replace the 12 car battery. (There's really no need of it) supplying the vehicle through the inverter when starting. The generator would be used to start the vehicle instead of a starter motor, to generate power and for regenerative braking. Those would save quite a bit of weight. And of course the high voltage buss would supply the rear wheels, or be fed by it when braking.With a more robust motors and alarger battery, it could even be a plug in hybrid. On good dry hard pavement, it's a hybrid, on rough gravelly roads, snow or mud it has 4wd, both, without adding dead weight that only gets used in one scenario or the other. I would have bought one of those.

2. G-funk

G-funk Farmall Cub

Ok. My basic plan is this.

I have 2 scout 80's. A Sierra Nevada green '64 152 with Dana 27's. 70k miles. This one was used off road by a dude with a mine on the Yuba river. He took care of it but used it for real. All the time. The roof is caved in a bit from snow. This was my original scout. Had a factory rebuilt carb, new wheels and tires and gas tanks and some other pretty good parts. It ran and drove well once I put some time in. Bolts broke off all the time. I thought it was rusty, but after looking around here it's not too bad.

Then I found another Scout. Of course. A 65 RCS from Lake County Ca. This one has a 44 in the rear and the newer style brakes. It was used at a hunting club and also used off road a bit but it was mostly mud bogging. The rear fenders were completely full. It was repainted camo. The guy I got it from painted it blue, his wife's favorite color. His plan didn't work and he had to get rid of it. This one has very little rust and it is rattling apart. The only broken bolts have been due to my laziness multiplied by my impact gun. I took all the good parts -mostly the fuel system- wheels and tires etc. on the green one, redid the brakes on this one, I was way better the 2nd time. This is now my driver. Longest trip so far is 30 miles. Next step is CPT suspension. I'm happy to keep this one gas powered, for now.

I plan on gutting the green one to make it electric. If it's reliable and cool. Maybe I'll do the RCS too.

I thought of the Leaf initially because they were a dime a dozen. A nice salvage one can be under $2k. For that I would get an AC motor, controller18 ish kWh battery factoring in degradation. 3.3 KW charger, and hopefully a 50kw DC fast charger port. They went 75-80 miles on a charge and weigh 3750 pounds or so. The gross weight on my Scout says 3900 so good to go! Haha. With the added friction of an old tractor if I got 50% the leaf range I'd be ok with that. I'll take the roof off. Especially with the 50kw fast charger.

I can buy all these parts online separately for about $15k. That's why the leaf is so attractive. I want to do this cheap.

Anyway. Where I'm at is that the leaf motor tops out at 10k rpm too much in my opinion. From what I've read online, there isn't much, the problem with the leaf can be the controller too. It wants to check in with all the safety features of the car and relies on sensors that won't be on the scout. A local company supposedly can modify the controller to add non factory settings. This is my next step. My hope is that I can mate the motor directly to the clutch and limit the RPM's with the controller. What RPMs do you guys think the 152 hits when I have my 4.27(?) gears up to 60?

As for the batteries. Initially I think I'll bolt the 650lb leaf battery into the bed of the scout, but Right now my final plan would be a custom battery box between the frame rails. Maybe a big body lift to make more room.

Sure, aerodynamics aren't great, and completely gutting the full drivetrain doesn't seem proper for this project on a mostly intact scout. Again this is not a daily driver.

Attached Files:

stroker3 likes this.
  3. stroker3

stroker3 Dreams of Cub Cadets

Well of coarse , the green one. :laugh:

You'll have to start a thread in binder builds . It'll be interesting to follow. Don't be afraid to include any mistakes and misteps too. It'll help other's if they want to give it a go as well.

G-funk likes this.
  4. G-funk

G-funk Farmall Cub

I'll start a build thread once I pull the trigger and go for it. Hopefully next week. Come on tax return!!!

5. RinTX

RinTX High Wheeler

Have you considered getting 2 batteries? I would think there would be plenty of room under a Scout compared to a Leaf.

6. G-funk

G-funk Farmall Cub

Yeah. My plan is to start with one. The leaf pack is meant to sit under the floor and rear seats of the leaf so the cells need to be reconfigured. Initially I think I'll just mount it on strut across the back wheel wells. There are 4 strings of 12 cells in each pack so theoretically I can add more in groups of 12. Used cells are like $30-50

7. kingben01

kingben01 Farmall Cub

My scout does around 3000 rpm's at 60 in 3rd gear with 4.27 axles if I remember right. I got my eye on this thread. Keep it up, dude.

8. MattinTexas

MattinTexas Farmall Cub

Any news on this thread?

9. ackl1968

ackl1968 Farmall Cub

I've been wondering too as I have a conversion planned for my 66' Scout 800.
    Aside from the zero aero dynamics, high rolling resistance and heavy curb weight it makes for a sweet conversion. :)

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

10. G-funk

G-funk Farmall Cub

I’ve been sidetracked by upgrading my gas scout to a 196 with a 4 speed. It’s all there with the leaf just have to pull the trigger on a totaled one and rip it apart. After my gas scout is running I can get the leaf in the garage.

stroker3 likes this.
  11. stroker3

stroker3 Dreams of Cub Cadets

Apologize if this is a little touchy with the Ford trademark thing but stumbled across this vintage Bronco rebuild. Thought it might be interesting to you.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/ford-bronco-electric-restomod-from-zero-labs/

12. Ron_Frisco

Ron_Frisco Farmall Cub

sounds like a neat project, wouldn't a golf cart be a better choice though?

stroker3 likes this.
  13. scoutingAZ

scoutingAZ Farmall Cub

:clap:

14. theloneduck

theloneduck Farmall Cub

One of the things I like about my scout is the sound of the engine.

15. G-funk

G-funk Farmall Cub

16. G-funk

G-funk Farmall Cub

Ford pipes in fake motor sounds in the new mustangs. I barely hear the motor over my t case

17. 77Rick

77Rick Farmall Cub

To keep things (relatively) cheap going for a salvaged leaf makes sense, however there are 2 problems:
    1. The motor with the leaf is mated to its transmission, which is a transverse layout. If you're going to keep the 4wd you need a motor that can bolt to the longitudinal IH tranny. Something like an AC50 or a Hyper9.
    2. Before 2014 leaf batteries didn't have much of a thermal management system. Still not as good as Tesla's. A good battery management system is why newer EVs get better range. Tesla and Bolt batteries have liquid cooling and heating.

18. G-funk

G-funk Farmall Cub

Thanks for the input. Tesla, bmw and I guess chevy ore the only ones who climate control the battery. Most others put the battery in the cabin. I don’t think the thermal losses are going to rank in a scout.

As for the motor, I plan to mount it to the existing tranny/clutch set up and rev limiting the motor through the controller. 10,000 rpm I’m sure would grenade the drivetrain, although 4000 may get me to 65 mph!!

77Rick likes this.
  19. Ron A

Ron A High Wheeler

Here is a quote from ford "With the Ecoboost engine we have both active noise cancellation, and we also amplify the existing engine sound order. We don't create an artificial sound, we don't pluck one off the shelf, we bring in the real sound, process it, and play it through the car's speakers. Today's V6 sounds fantastic, and although the Ecoboost won't sound like a V8, it won't sound like it doesn't belong in a Mustang either."
    I had to look that up for verification. I don't know if it is sad, or laughable. It does make me appreciate the sound of a lightly muffled and healthy SV. No doors, no carpet, and the flap of a bikini top, going down a trail on a warm summers night. Years from now people are not going to know what they missed.

Chris Breedlove likes this.
  20. mallen

mallen High Wheeler

T
    That's just sad. The way they did it on the v8 was OK, they had a duct, but Fords explanation aside, the ecoboost plays fake engine noise over the speakers. WTF