Elbow ELIMINATED!

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech' started by nikbristow, Nov 19, 2006.

1. nikbristow

nikbristow Farmall Cub

Well, as of about an hour ago my elbow is long gone and sitting in my front yard. :D

Bought the stainless steel EE and S-pipe from Sergio here on the BB. Looks good. Sounds freaking demonic. Gonna try to get 3" exhaust welded on next week but probably gonna be driving home to Kansas on Wednesday with just the header. :eek: :D

Any good suggestions on a muffler that won't be too loud but still allow good flow? I live in a part of town where the poodles drink lattes and my morning start-up cloud is already reason enough for my neighbors to show up at my door with torches and pitchforks :D

Haven't run it through the seat-of-the-pants dyno yet. But I'm about to go climb a hill I drive up between me and work and see how she does.

When I get back it's installation of the guardian angel that is the pyrometer.

2. zen

zen Farmall Cub

you dont need a muffler...i live in central london..i don't get any looks when i drive past the police or peoples..unless using lots of right foot(different then :D ..or they are petrol/diesel heads)..at tick over or low load its real quiet..you just get the turbo whistle..

it also passes gov yearly test like it no probs..

3. sergio chav

sergio chav Farmall Cub

Nik,
    forget the muffler,it's not that loud if you run your exhaust all the way back like the stock pipe.I use a Borla 3" staight thru muffler 12' long x 6" dia. it quieted down a bit.
    Sergio.

4. Carl Wiese

Carl Wiese Moderator Staff Member Moderator

No muffler needed. I lost mine when I went three inch and a days hasn't gone by when I have wished I had it. All the muffler is going to do is rob your power and keep more heat in the turbo and cylinders.

5. nikbristow

nikbristow Farmall Cub

Okay, counting the search I did, that's 54 million votes for a straight pipe, zero for a muffler. I guess that's settled.

As far as the s.o.t.p. dyno, wow! Torque didn't seem to be that different, but the top end, when the turbo is really whining (and quite audibly I might add), the thing takes off like it never has. I'm a believer.

This an official recommendation for Sergio's EE and S-pipe. The thing is awesome and he's been real helpful as far as customer service. $400 for the EE and stainless steel s-pipe plus copper anti-seize, gasket and all the hardware including new exhaust studs. For a fella with no fab experience and little time to source parts it's worth it in my book.

I will add this technical advice. I'm sure it's a "duh" for all you experts, but for the next **** it may prove useful. Those exhaust studs can be a real bear, but don't give up. A metric crap-ton of Liquid wrench, an appropriate amount of cursing and a prayer to the diety of your choice and they'll break loose. ;)

6. IH64Scout

IH64Scout Dreams of Cub Cadets

$400!!! :eek: that's a bit steep for a little round piece of metal! plus the $150-200 to get the exhaust run. :( man i'm gonna have to save quite a bit this winter.

7. sergio chav

sergio chav Farmall Cub

Nik,
    If you want a bit more performance on the bottom end you should replace your turbine housing with a mecedes one and set boost to 8-9 psi.This should really wake-up your sd33t.
    Thanks for the review.....Glad to be of help.
    Sergio

8. BinderMark

BinderMark Farmall Cub

Did you happen to take pictures of the purchased EE before installation? We could see some after installation pictures also, if you were so inclined to take some.

Thanks,

Mark

9. zen

zen Farmall Cub

so whats the standard ar of the sd33t then and the mercedes one??

i have fitted gt2052 which has .48 on both compressor and turbine..i think its abit small..

10. JordanP

JordanP Farmall Cub

the standard scout sd33t exhaust housing is a .62 ratio and the M-B housing is .48

I too think that its a bit small, but its better than the stock .62 housing

Ideally, a .53 (if there was one) would be about perfect i believe

11. zen

zen Farmall Cub

and the compressor side?? i am now looking for a 0.62 to replace the 0.48...lack of power above 3000rpm(but thats 80mph+)

12. Shoehorn

Shoehorn Binder Driver

While it sounds nice, and gives better off idle response, opening up the exhaust on a low rpm international motor is not good overall. A free flowing exhaust will increase HP only in the regions of the tach where you shouldn't be to begin with, and will decrease low end torque. You will also need to adjust your carb or possibly use a higher CFM carb. Opening up your exhaust will cause you to run lean and hot without carb adjustment.

At the end of the day, it's really all about what makes you happy. If you are happy, that's good enough. From a technical standpoint, though, you want back pressure.

13. Shoehorn

Shoehorn Binder Driver

Not all of what I just said applies. It completely slipped my mind that I was replying to a post in "DieselTalk". The basic principles are still accurate. I was thinking gas when I wrote it though.

14. JordanP

JordanP Farmall Cub

Actually the basic principles are NOT accurate, they are completely different. A diesel wants as little back pressure and restriction as possible. Sort of like a forced induction engine, but even more so. Id be willing to say that you could have no downtube whatsoever and let the exhaust exit directly out of the turbo and it wouldnt hurt the way the truck runs at all...and if it werent for the dirty engine bay Id have, Id consider that.

15. NW 4x4

NW 4x4 Farmall Cub

You need little to no back pressure after the turbo. For an n/a diesel you want a tuned exhust, just like a gasser.

clark