Early build date 1961 Scout 80 VIN stamping ID help

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Bruce Shealy, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Bruce Shealy

Bruce Shealy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Anyone know what the " - 1" signifies at the end of this stamping ? The question was asked of our panel of experts at the Nationals Binder Planet Tech Seminar and it stumped them, they had all seen an "-A" at the end of a stamping but never a "-1". 1961 IH Scout 80 stamping.jpg

2. BinderBookie

BinderBookie High Wheeler

You forgot to mention that some of us think it's most likely an anomalous stamping that isn't part of the original serial number (me and Pletcher anyway). I have a number of LSTs that are close to FC1655, FC1646 for example, and it is a perfectly ordinary Scout 80. I just clanged thru FC1000 thru FC3156 and don't see a "-1" on any LST. That doesn't mean there isn't a "-1" on the serial plate, but my contention would be if that marking isn't on the LST and indicate some change, it's meaningless.

Also, I have never seen a "- whatever" behind a serial number, so this would be a first. Do they have the LST for that rig? that would tell a lot because if "-1" is on the serial tag, it would be on the LST and then we would see what it meant. Unless someone has seen this and can document what it means, anything else is just speculation. Again, the LST will probably settle the question pretty quickly.

The other possibility is that it was a mismarked plate and the vehicle is actually FC16551, which would put it into later '61 production. Has someone compared the chassis stamps with the plate stamps? That may also answer the question.

Bruce, it was great to meet you at Nats!

3. Bruce Shealy

Binderbookie wrote " You forgot to mention that some of us think it's most likely an anomalous stamping " . This VIN stamping sorcery is way above my paygrade and I am merely the conduit that the Scout owner in question is flowing through. I left that information out on purpose as I leave this to the experts :wacko:. He does not have the LST, I advised him that would be money well spent. Thanks for your help Jim.

4. Howard Pletcher

Howard Pletcher Farmall Cub

I don't have any explanation for it, but it appears the 1 does not belong there. Looking at other VIN plates, the numbers in all the areas are uniform and neatly lined up. To me, it appears this 1 was added sometime in the 56 years since the other numbers were stamped.

5. Bruce Shealy

BinderBookie ( Jim Allen ) , mentioned in Ohio Saturday that the marks in question appeared to him to be an after thought from the stamping as well. They appear to be a different size and font type as well.

6. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Lives in an IH Dealership

And Howard Pletcher said:
    That was the first aspect I noticed. The main part of the number has characters evenly spaced, of uniform size, and all are equally indented as if done by machine. The dash and the last 1 appear to have been done by hand and with different punches. A microscopic examination might even show major differences from the characteristics of the tools.

It might have been done by an owner with a small fleet of Scouts, to give them numbers, say, 1 through 6 for more easily keeping records, or it might have ..... to add to the useless speculation.
    I too would like to see pictures of the LST and frame stamping, and any records of where or to whom the vehicle was sold.

7. BinderBookie

BinderBookie High Wheeler

Well, leave it to Pedantic Me to not catch your drift! ( : < )

Bruce Shealy likes this.