Dude, where's my voltage regulator?

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech' started by peterbozeman, Dec 23, 2018.

1. peterbozeman

peterbozeman Farmall Cub

The pictures are great. I have one loose wire that was grounded to the body. Just wondering if one of the wires on the voltage regulator is a ground.

2. peterbozeman

peterbozeman Farmall Cub

Well, that did not go as planned. I got it all hooked up like I thought it should go. When I reconnected the battery... fizzle, pop, puff of smoke, burnt plastic smell, maybe a swear word or two.

Looks like where the "2A" wire connected into my brand new voltage regulator had some heavy juice flowing through it. The wire burned right off the solder point on the back of the voltage regulator.
    In these pics it is the white w/orange stripe wire. You can see it no longer goes though the rubber gasket in the second pic. I was just holding it up to the solder point after it just pulled out.

I am not sure what went wrong here.

3. MyDieselScout2

MyDieselScout2 Farmall Cub

Hi Pete,

Sorry to hear my friend, your pics are not uploading to the chat thread.

I’ll tell you what, let me take mines apart and number all the wires for you.

I try to pull out one of regulators tomorrow after work and trace the wires for you.

If you need to text me pictures you can do so at 213-705-3939. This way I can see what you are working with.

Talk to you soon.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. peterbozeman

peterbozeman Farmall Cub

Hey, Mike,
    Don't go through all that trouble. I have a new plan. I ordered a new alternator with an internal voltage regulator. And a supposedly better vacuum pump.

This might kill two birds with one stone.