Dt 466e

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech' started by tinker, May 3, 2006.

1. tinker

tinker Farmall Cub

I an reposting this in diesel talk because my questions are not secific to bio-diesel. I hope that is OK.
    "I was asked to convert a DT 466E to run on SVO. This is in a 1998 4700 box truck. Has anyone done this yet? I have converted many other diesels including Cummins, Fords, Isuzu, and helped with a newer comon rail power stroke.
    Oh, and my Scout!
    I know very little about the newer DT 466 ( other than it rocks!). Is this a comon rail injection system? What kind of fuel presurs are we talking about? Lift pump to injector pump or rail. and final fuel injector presure
    I will take a look on the IHC web site but thought I would ask here first for pointers.
    Thanks in advance"
    Danny

2. John Donnelly

John Donnelly Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

The DT466E uses the same HEUI injection system as the Power Stroke Diesel T444E.

It is not "common rail".

Fuel pressure specs and other information may be proprietary data held by International, but I would call them and see what sort of information they are willing to share with you on this subject.

Check out this website for further assistance from ITEC www.greendieseltechnology.com

-John

3. Scout Diesel

Scout Diesel Farmall Cub

I've always wondered what the "E" stood for in DT466E when I saw it on many trucks' fenders while in town or stopped next to one at a traffic light. Would that mean electronic? Or they added the "E" for when the DT466 became equipped with the HEUI injection system like its Powerstroke counterpart? From what I've heard the 466 is one awesome diesel engine. I see many International 4200 and 4300 series rollback trucks that have the DT466 and if I ever owned one I wouldn't have any other engine choice. 6 cylinder turbo diesel for the right power and TORQUE! Am I right?

Salvy

4. tinker

tinker Farmall Cub

Thanks for the replies. The newer power strokes seem to be doing fine on SWO. so we will probably give it a try. The owner has a small fleet so the potential savings are huge.
    Danny

5. Baradium

Baradium Lives in an IH Dealership

Thought about setting them up to make biodiesel?

6. tinker

tinker Farmall Cub

We have all ready converted an isuzu to SVO for this company and they are very happy with it. So they are willing to try on the International. I will make then aware that it is experimental. Wish me luck http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=315032#
    Wink
    Danny

7. Benesesso

Benesesso Farmall Cub

Anyone know when the DT466/E got the 4 valve heads? Will they bolt on a 2 valve block?

8. nevrenufhp

nevrenufhp Farmall Cub

According to IH's site, the '04 & up 466/570 use common rail. The 1996 to 2003's were the HEUI. Or so I hear

9. tinker

tinker Farmall Cub

I finally have my hands on the DT-466E. But no manual! Does any one have a diagram of the fuel flow?
    I see a regulator on the lift pump that I think loops the over pressure fuel back to the filter housing, a hard line from pump to head/injectors there is also a SS braid hose going up. Which line is flowing where?
    Thanks
    Danny

10. Dave Nuenke

Dave Nuenke High Wheeler

I think I have a manual for the 466E running around somewhere, need to dig around a bit. If I don't I'll try and see I can at least borrow one from dad the next time I see him, hopefully he might have an extra I can borrow permenantly...

Dave

11. tinker

tinker Farmall Cub

DT466E is running down the road on 100% free used cooking oil! It sounds great, idles well and has the same power.
    Thank you to Eldon for helping figure out the fuel path.
    I added; second tank, heated fuel pickup, flat plate heat exchanger, heated filter, two large 3way solinoid valves, two 12volt Vegtherms, and temp and fuel pressure gauges.
    What a nice truck to work on!
    Danny

12. stu simpson

stu simpson High Wheeler

Please specify the parts used (manufacturer, item/model # etc) and pics if you took any...I run two DTA360s (rotary) and a DT466E (1999 4700) and I am extremely interested in this conversion. I am bidiesel/WVO stupid so assume nothing.

13. tinker

tinker Farmall Cub

Hi Stu
    The basic principle of running strait veg oil (SVO) is to filter and heat the SVO to about 160*F before introducing the oil to the injection system.
    I will send you picts and maybe you can post them here for all to see. Email me: danny@tinkersworkshop.org and I will give info on parts and links to more info.
    Danny

14. stu simpson

stu simpson High Wheeler

Thanks. Forgot to mention the 97 P'stroke, currently down but maybe as it is reborn I can get it smelling like Burger King or Crispy Creme.

stusimpson@verizon.net