Do I need to Pre-Oil an IH Straight 6?

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Randall Barringer, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Randall Barringer

Randall Barringer Y-Block King

I'd like to see if my new Metro will run, but I want to make sure I do it right.
    I think the oiling system is different in the straight 6 compared to the SV and 4 cylinders.
    I plan to change the oil, soak the cylinders with a little oil, and turn it over by hand a few times.

Is it necessary to pull the distributor and prime it?
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. PHuscher

PHuscher Farmall Cub

The oil pump on the six is gear driven by the camshaft, and the tang on the top of the pump then drives the distributor. Unlike the SV, where the distributor is gear driven and drives the pump. So removing the distributor won't allow the oil pump to be driven or primed on your BD/BG six. You could remove one of the two pipe plugs in the oil galley (in line with the oil pressure sender) and pressurize the system through that hole, turning the engine over slowly, but you would need some external pressure to do it.

3. Randall Barringer

Randall Barringer Y-Block King

That's what I needed to know, thank you!

jeff campbell likes this.
  4. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Lives in an IH Dealership

I don't know if the cam bearings in those engines ever have delamination problems, but assume that, if lifter pressure were reduced, that might help. One could do that by removing the rocker assembly and push rods before cranking the engine. Are those valves manually adjusted? Have you done any engine disassembly as part of the vehicle restoration? Dropped the pan or removed the valve cover or side plates to check for deposits of gunk?

5. Greg R

Greg R Lives in an IH Dealership

Pull the plugs. Squirt some oil in the cylinders. Then spin away with the starter and a full battery. With a gauge on the sender port, you should see pressure after about 15-20 seconds.