Distributor & coil question

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by michigan scout, Jun 24, 2019.

1. michigan scout

michigan scout High Wheeler

I have removed a points dist (few years ago) and put in a prestolite. I put a coil that was "no external resitor required" but randomly had hot starting issues, I went through many other diagnostic adventures..Longgggg story short i put the coil back on that is for points "external resitor required" my question is, will that risk burning out the module? I also notitced recently, before I changed the coil that the start position wire on the coil doesn't flow any current, tried chasing it but couldn't locate the break. Potentially that could be the problem with only the resitor wire provide current. I unhooked the resitsor wire and ran a hot wire from ignition to coil. The truck has zero starting issues when warm.

2. scoutboy74

scoutboy74 Lives in an IH Dealership

Rather than worrying about what wording may or may not be printed on a coil, best practice is to measure the coil primary resistance across the small terminals with a meter capable of measuring resistance in ohms on the lowest scale setting. Additionally, this should be done with the coil at room temperature, with all wires disconnected. The reading should be 1.5 ohms give or take a decimal point.
    For the Prestolite, the key switched resistive feed should be bypassed in favor of a standard, non-resistive wire. The resistive wire is only to be used in conjunction with breaker points.