Diesel Mileage with Other Engines

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech' started by Alpine, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Alpine

Alpine Farmall Cub

I currently have a sd33na/727/3.73's with 33's . I have been kicking around the idea of upgrading to a SD33T/T19/D300 package. But I have also been looking into a swap to a different make package. Possibly a GM 6.5 turbo diesel.

What have those of you that opted to replace the SD with a 7.3, 6.2, 6.5, 4BT, ect... Seen for mileage? Did you go with an auto trans or manual?

Thanks in advance.

2. dan1500

dan1500 Binder Driver

I had a 6.2L with Banks turbo and GM Overdrive trans in a Traveler. It averaged 17.5 mpg over the time I had it. I think I was probably lugging it because it still had the original 3.07 axle ratio. It would cruise in overdrive around 1000 rpm. In this case going to a higher ratio probably would have improved things.

3. Sammy

Sammy Y-Block King

The junk in my signature. Haven't driven it yet. Expecting at least 20 mpg (same as SD I had) but with a touch of power.
    I had the 33T, T19, Dana 300 at one time. Ended up pulling the Dana 300 in favor of a Spicer 19 with a saturn overdrive and may have got .5 mpg better than before. Just an experiment that just didn't net the mileage increase that I was after but the four levers sticking thru the floor was an instant theft deterrent.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    dooley.pula likes this.
  4. Alpine

Alpine Farmall Cub

What are putting in it?

5. polvo

polvo Farmall Cub

I have a 4bt that I was going to put in a travelette. After looking/researching at a lot of options I thought it would be the best choice because it was not as large as others, but makes very good power and can be tuned to be really efficient. Also parts a very accessible. An Isuzu 4BD1T is also a very good choice. It is actually smoother than the 4BT, but parts can be somewhat hard to come by.

6. bindermike

bindermike Farmall Cub

I average about 25 mpg on the highway at a little more than 70 mph. 3.73 rear gears; 235/85-16 tires; and the ZF6-650 six-speed trans. I'm looking to go to 3.54 rear gears to bring my rpm down a touch; it may increase the highway mileage too.

My nephew put a 4BT in his 78 Terra, with a NV4500 trans. I don't know what kind of mileage he gets though.

Good luck with your project, Mike

7. Alpine

Alpine Farmall Cub

Now my wheels are spinning. A friend told me he would sell me a 4.8L with a 5 speed and t case for $500 with all the wiring. It would probably be a good fit for the traveler but since it came with a diesel I wanted to stay with one.

That thought got me thinking and researching. It looks like the NV3500 and NV4500 share the same bolt pattern. Has any one put a NV3500 behind their SD?

8. Joe S

Joe S Farmall Cub

I thought the 3500 had an integral bell housing.

9. Alpine

Alpine Farmall Cub

It is. From what I have read it has the same engine mounting bolt pattern as the nv4500. I have not had time to look up what the adapter kit looks like for the nv4500. I'm hoping to have a chance to look more into this tomorrow.

10. Joe S

Joe S Farmall Cub

The NV4500 has no bell housing. I had to make one to mate up to the SD.

11. Alpine

Alpine Farmall Cub

Do you still have a template? How exactly did you do it? Flywheel spacer as well as a bell housing adapter? Any pics?

12. Joe S

Joe S Farmall Cub

I made a wood pattern and had it cast. Then machined on Tuesday nights at Glendale College. I had been going there off and on for years and was on good terms with the Instructor. He let me leave it set up for a few weeks while I worked on it. This was on an old 24" LeBlonde. All the kids wanted to use the fancy new machines so there was no conflict.

I'll have to find some pics. I thought I posted some on the full size Jeep site but they are all of the suspension.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  13. steve graham

steve graham Farmall Cub

I've been running and improving the performance of the 4BTA in my Scout for 16 years.
    In town low 20's. On the freeway unladen 65-70mph high 20's. In 2015 towed my 19' Casita RV (3500 lbs) up to RMIHR and back, averaged 18 mpg. All of this driving is done with the AC on, always hot in AZ.

14. Alpine

Alpine Farmall Cub

What trans are you running and gear ratio? Tire size?

15. steve graham

steve graham Farmall Cub

See my signature, it's current.

16. Alpine

Alpine Farmall Cub

Your signature was not visible on my phone yesterday, even when I was logged in. I see it today on the computer. Thanks

When you purchased your engine, was it in a truck or did you buy the engine separate? If it was in a truck, what was it in? I have heard it is common to see the 4bt's in GM bread trucks. I haven't had any luck locating one yet. I also heard it is usually cheaper to buy the entire truck than just the engine.

17. walkersscout

walkersscout High Wheeler

Steve's is a pretty nice conversion and runs well. He would be a good one to look at as far as a how to.

steve graham likes this.
  18. steve graham

steve graham Farmall Cub

I purchased my first engine, with a VE pump sight unseen from a recycling yard in Georgia, $2500 shipped to AZ. It came out of a Frito Lay P30 chevy box van. Last engine I bought local was a 130 hp P pump out of a Frightliner MT35 box van, $3500. You probably can beat those prices but you'll have to dismantle the van. Drive the van home and you know you have a good engine.

19. Joe S

Joe S Farmall Cub

Some pichers of my NV4500 bell housing. Sorry it took so long. Not much to see except the last one. That's the clutch arm with a dust boot I made out of a leather glove.

Nothing special on the crank end. Might have had to find a bearing with the correct OD and ID but I don't remember an issue. Was around the turn of the century, though.

92241-274a2e243973b13435f0cbe7f3bae9b6.jpg

92239-af8fcd274e6adf5cc446a9d723a7e176.jpg

index.jpg

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  20. Alpine

Alpine Farmall Cub

Thanks for the pics. I am leaning this way as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk