DiamondRax Roof Rack Systems and Accessories

Discussion in 'DiamondRax' started by CruiserStuff, Jul 9, 2011.

1. CruiserStuff

CruiserStuff Farmall Cub

Hello Binder Planet Guys and Gals! Just wanted to introduce ourselves to you......

We are DiamondRax, located in SoCal, and we manufacture roof racks and accessories for all kinds of vehicles.

We are considered (by many) to be the next generation of Con-ferr, the legendary off-road accessory company that closed their doors long ago. Our head fabricator was like one of Pete Condos' (the "Con" in Con-ferr) sons and they were fast friends for many years. Our facility, in fact, is still owned by the Condos family and much of the machinery we use today was used to build Con-ferr roof racks back in the day.

DiamondRax roof racks closely resemble the style of the Con-ferr porthole roof racks, but also have some modern upgrades and changes. They are one-piece, fully-welded, steel racks. We are proud to say that our racks are completely built in the USA. We also offer discounts to all active duty military personnel as a thank you for their service.

We have many different sizes and styles of roof rack to choose from. Please take some time to check out our website (a constant work in progress) to see for yourselves: www.DiamondRax.com.

Our racks just look "right" on the vehicles (like the early Land Cruisers, Broncos, Jeeps, Scouts) that are from the 60's, 70's and 80's. Many of the current roof rack offerings just, in my opinion, are too modern looking and don't fit the era of these classic trucks.....

My personal roots are in the Land Cruiser community (flame away!) and we started in that area for that reason. I have a deep respect for other makes and models of vehicles from that time period and know you love your IH vehicles as much as I love my Cruisers!

DiamondRax wants to earn your business and contribute to the IH community. Please don't hesitate to call, email or PM me with any questions! My cell phone is 909.534.8183 and my email addy is greg@diamondrax.com.

Thanks very much! :D

Greg Steffens
    DiamondRax

2. CruiserStuff

CruiserStuff Farmall Cub

Alright! Thanks to Jeff Bade, we now have a sub-forum here in the Machine Shop.....very cool! :beer:

I want to get some pics of our racks here, but don't have any yet featuring an IH vehicle. We, obviously, need to rectify that as soon as possible

THIS IS WHERE YOU COME IN......

Is there anyone in Binderland that lives in SoCal that would be interested in having one of our roof racks put on their rig for some photos? We can talk about the best way to compensate you for your time. We are located in the zip code of 92352 (Lake Arrowhead). Just send me a PM if you're game.....

In the meantime, check out our Facebook page here and our website here for pics of our racks on other types of vehicles. I have a lot more pics to add, so please be patient with me!

Here are a few pics of a 54" wide by 60" long by 4" tall rack that we recently put on an FJ62 Land Cruiser. This size rack, I think, will be one that many Scout owners will tend toward:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Compare this to a pic that I found in a roof rack thread on this forum showing the old Con-ferr Porthole Roof Rack (on a Scout) that was so popular back in the day:

[​IMG]

Here's a 60" wide by 66" long by 6" tall rack on an FJ40:

[​IMG]

And a shot from Alaska of a short rack mounted on a custom built, Cummins diesel powered "FJ40.5":

[​IMG]

Here's another of a 48" wide by 84" long by 4" tall rack on a Durango:

[​IMG]

We also build completely flat platform racks for those who need to keep things as low as possible (to get into the garage or parking structures, etc). These are also great for mounting rooftop tents to:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Speaking of roof top tents, we recently teamed-up with Cascadia Vehicle Tents, located in Bend, Oregon. They sell high quality rooftop tents at a huge savings over some of the bigger and better-known brands. They have EXCELLENT customer service and a full 4 year warranty (compared to the measly one year that others offer). We designed roof racks to accomodate these tents and this is what we came up with....other designs are in the works that will allow the tent to open to the side (versus the rear).

This is the Mt. Bachelor version:

[​IMG]

This is the Mt. Shasta version with the zip-on annex below:

[​IMG]

Again, we REALLY want some pics with IH vehicles, so if you are located nearby, give us a shout!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  3. gmbarker78

gmbarker78 Farmall Cub

Looks like a nice product you guys are offering. If you would like to donate one to the east coast for publicity let me know. :D

4. CruiserStuff

CruiserStuff Farmall Cub

Thanks! I'll definitely keep your east coast offer in mind! :)

5. Robert JetFxr

Robert JetFxr High Wheeler

Here's some pictures of what your looking for :punk:

I think you can get over the cruiser thing, especially after a Scout bails your sorry butt out. LOL

Attached Files:

6. CruiserStuff

CruiserStuff Farmall Cub

Awesome , thanks for the pics (I couldn't see the first one....had to log in to see it and it wouldn't take my username and password....weird). The other 2 are NICE....a 6" tall Con-ferr rack (and I'm thinking a bit wider than 54"). Thanks for posting them.

And, yes, I've been expecting some "flaming" for the Land Cruiser thing.....it was just a matter of time!! That's fine....no problem. The only personal experience I've had with a Scout was towing it home behind my FJ40 after it died on the trail. But, that's okay....:tt2: Hey, to each his own, right?!

7. Robert JetFxr

Robert JetFxr High Wheeler

Can you give me a ball park price for a rack similar to the on on my Scout. And by the way that Scout check out the motor in the Scout:yes:

Attached Files:

8. CruiserStuff

CruiserStuff Farmall Cub

Wow, you got some nice muscle under the hood there! Very cool....

Let's see, I'm guessing (without being able to put a tape measure on it) that your rack is 60" wide by 66" long by 6" tall (this, by the way, is the standard size rack for an FJ40). That size rack retails for $489.

I think the "standard" rack for the Scouts will be 54" wide by 60" long by 4" or 6" tall (same price for either). It retails for $459.

Both of these racks can take up to 6 rain gutter clamps (you can get away with just using 4...one at each corner...if you're only carrying lighter loads). Our NEW "Bulldog 2.0" heavy duty rain gutter clamps sell for $25 each.

We also offer a DiamondRax exclusive product called "Triple Dog" support which bolts to the back of the rain gutter clamps and increases the surface area that contacts the rain gutters by almost 3 times! This helps spread out the load and greatly decreases the chance of the rain gutter deforming. They retail for $10 each.

Here's a pic of the "Bulldog 2.0" with the "Triple Dog":

[​IMG]

Here's another look at them (BTW, that is NOT a DiamondRax roof rack....the client built this one himself and used our clamps):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course, there's shipping and we can give instant quotes.....they have to ship via freight due to their size and prices seem to range between $135 and $180 depending on location.

9. John Donnelly

John Donnelly Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

I have removed the last two posts in this thread because this is CruiserStuff's forum, and he can post as much as he likes in it.

-John

10. Greg R

Greg R Dreams of Cub Cadets

I have a Kargo Master roof rack I bought several years ago for my 800. I had a lot of difficulty sourcing gutter clamps that could clear the roof's profile and crown. The factory ones didn't have enough reach to go in far enough to bolt on the rack. The rack itself is 42" wide where the clamps bolt on. I tried Thule's bolted on to bars but they weren't high enough to clear the roof in the middle. The next taller ones made the rack too high to reach without a ladder.

I hope you can get the idea of my problem.

Would any of your clamps fit this application?

11. 76 xlc

76 xlc Banned

:oops:
    Thanks for the explanation, John, I'd just seen the post on the forums listing, had seen similar here on BP elsewhere multiple times so I didn't even note what particular forum distracted as I was by the large yellow caution icon nor does it appear on my screen if I just click on the post from the forums page, lacked a way to privately contact you (or other mods I'd randomly checked in past), and really like the Spam song by MP. :D

"Wonderful Spam, wonderful Spam,
    Wonderful Spam, wonderful Spam,
    Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam,
    Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam..."

12. CruiserStuff

CruiserStuff Farmall Cub

Greg R (great name, BTW!) - You have a couple things going on here....for the 800's, I think the rain gutters are about 57" apart (maybe you could confirm this with a measurement). That would mean (with a 42" wide rack), you'd need to stretch from the rain gutters 7 1/2" to the edge of the rack....more to access the holes to bolt the brackets to the rack itself. That's a lot of real estate to cover and still maintain strength (so it doesn't sag or bend under load).

The other issue is the crown of the roof cap. We definitely have brackets that will work for this.....and if we don't, it is very easy for us to modify our current brackets to accomodate the curvature. No problem.....

This is what I'd suggest: We have adapters that will allow you to use 3/4" round tube (Yakima's crossbars will work as well) that bolt to our "Bulldog 2.0" rain gutter mounts. Then, you could affix your rack to the crossbars. The "Bulldogs" will give you enough vertical clearance to clear your roof cap crown and the round crossbars will allow you to mount ANY width roof rack to them. Does that all make sense?

PM me if you're interested and we can nail down the specific details. Thanks!! :)

13. CruiserStuff

CruiserStuff Farmall Cub

My fault for putting the big yellow caution icon on the thread (is there a way I can remove it?)....just trying to attract attention to the thread, but didn't mean to put something there that would have a negative connotation....my bad.

I recently posted in a few roof rack related threads that I found here on BP (that weren't too old), but that's it....

Anyway, no worries....on with the show, right?! Thanks for the help, John!

P.S. I love that MP Spam song!!!

14. 76 xlc

76 xlc Banned

Spam very popular in many forms in Hawaii. Tried it?

15. CruiserStuff

CruiserStuff Farmall Cub

Hmmmm.....no, never been too creative with it....I'll check it out, though. Thanks!

16. CruiserStuff

CruiserStuff Farmall Cub

Hey Binder Planet Guys and Gals!

Sorry I've not posted here for a while.....life with the roof racks has been crazy-busy (and that's a good thing)!

Just wanted to stop by and show you a couple racks that we've recently done for Scout II's. Enjoy! :punk:

[​IMG]
    This rack measures 54" wide X 84" long X 4" tall and is attached to the rain gutters of the vehicles with our exclusive Bulldog 2.0 Heavy Duty Rain Gutter Clamps.

[​IMG]
    Additionally, this particular model of rack allows a rooftop tent to be mounted in it. It deploys off either side of the truck by means of the removable side panel. When the rack is NOT mounted in the rack, the panel is replaced so that the rack has all four sides to it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, here's 54" wide X 60" long x 4" tall rack we did for another Scout II:
    [​IMG]
    In addition to our Bulldog 2.0 clamps, this rig features our Triple Dog Gutter Supports, which spread the load of each clamp over 9" of the rain gutter.

That's the only pic of that rig I have right now.....I'm hoping he sends me some more!

Anyway, that's all for now. Thanks gang! :beer:

17. markk

markk Farmall Cub

Do you have any suggestions for how to (or even if you can/should) add a roof rack to a Traveler which has the fiberglass "cap" with no rain gutters. I just pruchased one (today actually) and I am plotting the build.

Thx

18. CruiserStuff

CruiserStuff Farmall Cub

Hey Markk - Thanks for the questions and congrats on your new rig! Since the Traveler doesn't have rain gutters, the only real option for mounting a rack to the roof is our "adjustable mounts" which require drilling, of course. I'm more familiar with the strength, structure and rigidity of the FJ40 Land Crusier's fiberglass top.....maybe someone else here can chime in on how strong the Traveler's top is for something like this.

19. scorp1us

scorp1us High Wheeler

AS someone whose dad canoes a lot, I wonder how I can put two canoes (the heavy Grumman aluminum ones too) on top.

20. CruiserStuff

CruiserStuff Farmall Cub

Depending on the length of the canoes, it sounds like the Grumman's run between 60 and 70 pounds each, right? I'm sure one canoe up there would be fine, weight-wise and two would be okay if property mounted and secured. Two might be getting pretty wide across the top, wouldn't it?

Last edited: May 18, 2012