Daughter/Father Build ’69 800A

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by jmait769, Feb 21, 2014.

1. jmait769

jmait769 High Wheeler

Got to spend half the day on this one. Luckily we had some low 70’s today and will again tomorrow so I’m hoping to get this close to setting back on the frame by the end of the weekend. First coat of Lizard Skin.

[​IMG]

Second coat drying. I went pretty heavy down the center section.

[​IMG]

I see why everyone likes the Lizard Skin. Super easy to spray on and cleanup was a breeze! This is almost one gallon and I have it in the garage now with the heat on just to make sure it sets up properly.

Bussy and 800bman like this.
  2. Comanche Scott

Comanche Scott High Wheeler

Man it looks great!
    What an awesome find. Looks like the Aristocrat is a 6 cylinder setup?

3. jmait769

jmait769 High Wheeler

Thanks Scott! It does have the V8 with the T-39 automatic. :) I going to start that build thread here in a few minutes.

800bman likes this.
  4. jmait769

jmait769 High Wheeler

Trying to get this painted on the bottom but the weather here is not cooperating! 50+ mph winds today! :hammer: Fingers crossed for this weekend. I did find a bunch of little things that I really needed to get done before I paint the interior and I also forgot about the fuel cell areas that needed some work. Plus before I place the body one the frame I need to paint the engine compartment too so prepping that area now!

I fabbed up some bulkheads to close off the top, welded those in and then cut the original bump outs for the fuel neck hoses from the covers.

[​IMG]

Because the batteries weigh so much I added a reinforcement panel at the bottom to tie the sides and bottom together. The outside panel is just spot welded at the top so I also seam welded that area to strength it.

[​IMG]

After cutting the panels I was trying to figure out how to best seal this area up. I realized that if I swapped the panels from left to right the side with 90 degree bend would go up against the inside of the fender well instead of the rubber flap on the original. I had to plug weld the old holes and then re-drill the panel. I’ll then add some flat weather stripping. I might have to add Dzus fasteners to the battery side for quicker access but I’m still undecided on this.

[​IMG]

800bman likes this.
  5. jmait769

jmait769 High Wheeler

Did not get all the items on my list completed this past weekend due to winds but did make some progress. Installed the stainless sheet to the floors then hit the interior with 2 coats of lizard Skin and then painted with 2K paint. Now you know the color – at least one of them! The stainless is bonded to the floor with Pro Seal which is something we used on helicopters to seal certain areas. It is quite sticky and not easy to work with but bonds very well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did test my paint skills in the front first. Figured this area would be mostly covered up if I made a mess of it. So far so good.

[​IMG]

Really what I was trying to do was paint the bottom of the body with the 2K. I need to flip the arms of the rotisserie to the bottom side of the bed so I can hit the bed area with the U-Pol. Two things I have learned with the Lizard Skin: It really absorbs the paint that is applied over it so I’m probably going to need some more paint and leaving it black for the interior, without carpet or something to cover it, would not work well in my area. Just a bit of dust got on it and it was difficult to clean off. So, I’m glad I had decided to paint the bottom and interior the same color as the body.

I’m getting some tint from a local supplier for the U-Pol liner kit tomorrow. I wanted to mix the 2K paint I have for tint but found out that may not be the best due to coverage. The rep told me without real tint the color could be translucent and not cover as well. I’m not going to take any chances! More info here if you’re interested: RAPTOR TRUCK BED LINER - TINTABLE

Bussy and 800bman like this.
  6. winchested

winchested High Wheeler

I was just reading up on this not long ago and yep you can use a 2k single stage but it shouldn't have the binders mixed in as it can actually stop the liner from curing as hard.

jmait769 likes this.
  7. 800bman

800bman High Wheeler

Excellent work as usual!

8. jmait769

jmait769 High Wheeler

Yes, from what I have learned the 2K can be used just mix with its hardener and add but chance it may not cover as well. I did get the tint with no binders and the supply house really matched it up well with the color I’m using. The tint is on the left. It cost about $35 for a pint but I now know this is the way to go.

[​IMG]
    Thanks Josh!

More good weather so have hit it pretty hard these past few afternoons. Mixed up the U-Pol with the above-mentioned tint and sprayed that. I used 3.5 oz of tint per container of liner. The U-Pol container has 750 ml of paint, you add 250 ml of hardener and then the tint. I found that the container is too small to hold all of that so had to mix in a separate paint cup.

[​IMG]

Once I was confident in my mixing the painting part was as easy as the Lizard Skin. Also got the engine compartment painted and finished the bottom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I’m hoping to sand the windshield frame tonight and get that painted tomorrow then the body goes back on!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

oneof3k likes this.
  9. winchested

winchested High Wheeler

Did you do the whole bottom of the tub in the UPOL and lizard skin.

10. oneof3k

oneof3k High Wheeler

Not quite close enough to the CO San Juan Mnts
    Looking great Jay!

11. jmait769

jmait769 High Wheeler

First the bottom was covered completely with Lizard Skin, applied heavily in the center section, then I painted over it with the 2K paint. Over that I applied one coat of the UPOL in the fender well areas only.
    Thanks Ed!!

Windy with a bit of rain today, which we do not complain about around here, but prevented me from move everything outside the garage like I wanted to. Did get the windshield frame and a few other areas painted and also spent more time than I care to admit restoring the rearview mirror but was a fun project. I like how rugged these are. Not going to fall of the windshield like the 77 does every once in a while!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also like the style (if that's the right word! :laugh: ) they put into this mount better than the one the Aristocrat has!

[​IMG]

12. Comanche Scott

Comanche Scott High Wheeler

Looking great Jay! :)
    Really digging the color choice
    I like that mirror too. It has that "Industrial suave" look.

13. Bussy

Bussy High Wheeler

Quit holding out on us! I know you have more recent pics. :yes: I saw one on FB.:whistling:

14. jmait769

jmait769 High Wheeler

Thanks Scott! :) The painting process is coming out better than I thought! The pics don’t capture the real color in my mind but I like it. But the real work is the prep!:hammer:
    Lol Tracy! It is easier to share pics on FB. Putting the body down for the last time is a great relief! The body off and on the rotisserie really eats up the garage space. I’m having task overload right now. Trying to slow myself down and not have to do thing twice. Still more body work needed before final paint! Here are those pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

800bman, CazNeck79 and Mattd like this.
  15. guidolyons

guidolyons High Wheeler

Great work, as usual, Jay. I'd add some of that sexy heatshield to the transmission tunnel as well. I insulated the firewall heavily, due to it's proximity to the turbo, but still had a ton of heat coming through the transmission tunnel. Not noticeable for around town driving, but after an hour at highway speed, it would get so hot you couldn't leave your hand on the transmission hump for more than a second or two. After I added heat shield to the transmission tunnel, much cooler inside, and now after long drives, it's warm, but not so hot you can't touch it.

16. jmait769

jmait769 High Wheeler

Thanks Guido! One of these days I hope to see and take a ride in your Scout! I did add some sexy on the underside of the tranny cover. :yes: I did not have enough material to go all the way up on the engine firewall so had to piecemeal it about halfway up which you can see in the pics in post 768. I did tape up the heatshield material and Lizard Skin around it. Also applied LS heavily on the inside. I’m hoping that combination will keep it cool because this one will not have AC! :sweatdrop:

[​IMG]

Work progresses! Roll cage was installed along with the dash. Not a lot fun putting that cage back in!

[​IMG]

I’m glad I moved that brace forward on the bed! This allowed the fuel tank to tuck up almost flush with the frame rails front to back. Will still need to fab up a skid plate.

[​IMG]

Bussy and Darrel like this.
  17. 800bman

800bman High Wheeler

I can only look at so many of your posts a week, because it makes me feel inadequate lol

18. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

So. Awesome. Wow. :yes:

jmait769 likes this.
  19. guidolyons

guidolyons High Wheeler

Yep. :yes:

Feeling good.

Read Jay's thread.

I'm a hack.

:death:

:lol::laugh::lol::laugh:

jmait769 likes this.
  20. oneof3k

oneof3k High Wheeler

Not quite close enough to the CO San Juan Mnts
    I can't get enough of this thread (and all the older ones too). Way, way, way nice!

jmait769 likes this.