Daughter/Father Build ’69 800A

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by jmait769, Feb 21, 2014.

1. jmait769

jmait769 High Wheeler

I named this build thread Daughter/Father instead of Father/Daughter as she bought this one. :clap: I tried to get her to contribute on BP but she declined due to her work and school schedule. She is pretty busy but now she has something to spend her money on besides the mall!

The story on this one: We are always looking for Scouts now and about a year ago we spotted this one in a fenced in area near some vacant commercial buildings. We could only see the roof line and could not really tell too much of its condition except that it was an 800.

[​IMG]

There was a sign for a paint company on the fence and we called a few times and they either told us they did not know who owned it or they told us the person who owned it lived behind the lot. We could not find anyone living behind the lot either. We did not pursue it anymore and I would look to see if it was still there off and on. Now that the 65 is done she started in on me about not having one to take 4 wheeling and she decided to try again to find the owner this 69 Scout.

Another round of calls and the same answer so, by luck (she thinks divine intervention), we decided to go and peak through the fence again. There was a man standing nearby working on a car outside the fence. He knew the owner and gave us his number. About an hour later she was the proud owner of this 1969 800A for $1000 bucks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So the plan is to follow some of the ideas from Ian’s Extreme 4X4 Scout build with some Goldie and a few other custom items thrown in that we have seen here on BP. I did receive the LST via email from the McCormick IH Collection and it appears to be a good candidate to modify. Looks like this was delivered to Johnsons in Riverside, California in 69 and then made its way to Las Cruces! I googled the address and it looks like a vacant lot there now! The dates look like 14 January for the final inspection and 19 November for the delivery to Johnsons if I’m not mistaken. The title we got from the owner is dated 20 April 1983 so he had it for 31 of its 45 years!

By the way if you want the LST pretty darn fast call 608-264-6410 and, when using a CC, they will email you the LST in .pdf format. I ordered it in the morning and had it that afternoon.

Jay

Attached Files:

2. supermerle

supermerle Binder Driver

Jay (oh I me daughter)
    Congrats and this will look killer with the Ian upgrades. Put some 4" lift springs, fuel injections, power steering, and some pizza cutters on there and y'all be set for the creeks and mountains! Since y'all over paid I would be nice and give you half the money back so y'all would not lose the whole $1000.00 on a ragged out ol' scout :D. Who knows your dad might learn something from you before this one is over. Don't work him to hard.

I'll have to go watch power block tv for the 15th time of Ian building that scout.

:rockon: :yes:

3. guidolyons

guidolyons High Wheeler

Nice Score :punk::rockon:

4. ihv800

ihv800 Farmall Cub

Looking forward to this one, I have a soft place in my heart for V8 800's. I have a '68 with a 266 and am currently eying a '70 with a 304 in similar shape to yours! :thumbs up:

5. cudakota

cudakota Farmall Cub

I can't wait to see how this one evolves! Congrats to Jay Jr.

6. jmait769

jmait769 High Wheeler

Thanks everyone! We are pretty excited about this one. :D Lots of planning and dreaming!!

Sorry I took these with the cell phone but here are some pics from underneath. It has definitely been used for its intended purpose and has taken some abuse! The trans mount, exhaust pipe, emergency brake crossbar and various other parts are bent and of course a nice layer of oil for preservation!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One PO fix that stuck out was the repair of the passenger side front leaf spring. :cornfused:

[​IMG]

Jay

7. CAB

CAB Farmall Cub

Here we go again! WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!

CAB

8. FSM09

FSM09 Binder Driver

I have a front spring that was repaired similar to that. If you want your set to match let me know. Ha

9. AndyJ

AndyJ Farmall Cub

69/70 800s are my favorite, excited to watch another build from you guys.

10. Mace

Mace Farmall Cub

I have a set of stock leaf springs and will be driving through LosCruces in March if you need a set.

Lemme know

Mace

11. Albuq. Henry

Albuq. Henry Binder Driver

SUBSCRIBED!! :punk:

12. jmait769

jmait769 High Wheeler

D I showed her your post and she says no way but she does have a long to-do list for me!!
    :) It is an addiction!
    Must have been popular to do this!!
    Thanks Andy! This has quickly become one of our favorites too!
    We appreciate that! Sent you a PM.
    Thanks Henry!!

Just cleaning/assessing being done this weekend and we are headed out there after I post this. :yes: The engine does run but only by dumping fuel into the carb. The fuel pump is bad so ordered one of those which won’t be here until Tuesday. Went through the fuel tanks and we got lucky as someone actually drained them. They have remained clean and dry so after making sure the fuel lines were clear, adding a filter after the fuel tank selector switch, we added about a gallon to each tank.

Jay

13. Comanche Scott

Comanche Scott High Wheeler

This will be fun! :rockon:
    Looks like it has body parts from '69 to '71 on it. Kind of a Johnny Cash Scout.
    As always I'm looking forward to following along!

14. jmait769

jmait769 High Wheeler

Scott, it does seem to be a mix of everything. :hammer: We did notice an extra data plate pop riveted below the normal vin plate. Ever see this before? It is unreadable and did not have anything imprinted into it.

[​IMG]

Someone was operating her favorite clean up tool today! :beer: Don’t ask me about that blue thing on her head. She did not know I was taking these!!

[​IMG]

She looks fast in this pic!! The copper color blends with the rusty floor color. Looks like just some surface corrosion so far with the driver’s side probably the worst. The entire trans housing, back just past the shifters, was covered in that silver foam tape.

[​IMG]

Couple of the engine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dunkin was supervising!! :yes:

[​IMG]

Jay

15. db1115

db1115 High Wheeler

This is so awesome Jay...I will definitely be following. Goldie has that extra little plate under the vin plate. I don't remember what is says though...I'll look next time I'm out in the shop.

16. jmait769

jmait769 High Wheeler

Thanks Davis!! Now I am really curious about that tag - take Goldie out soon!! :) I'm sure we will have some questions for you later on as well!!

Jay

17. Albuq. Henry

Albuq. Henry Binder Driver

Looks like you have way more emissions than I have ever seen on an 800.

18. oldblue72

oldblue72 Farmall Cub

I have enjoyed reading through your other builds. Your attention to details really makes your builds stand out, but I have to admit I would find it nerve racking to drive such nicely restored Scouts. This build is definitely more my style and I can't wait to see what you guys do to this one. Good luck! TJ.

19. jmait769

jmait769 High Wheeler

Henry, it must be that California vib!! :)
    Thanks! I know it seems that our style is to only return them to their original state but I promise we are really more 4wheelers/hotrodder’s at heart more than anything else. These first two Scouts just ended up being either more valuable factory restored (or close to it) or too rust free with low miles to modify. We do feel they are drivers - not garage queens. I am more paranoid about someone stealing them than I am driving them! :sweatdrop: They will never see the kind of four wheeling we plan for this build but the detail will still be there!

Jay

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  20. jmait769

jmait769 High Wheeler

Got the fuel pump replaced and now we have fuel to the carb. Of course it looked like a fuel sprinkler once it was pressurized but before it flooded we got a pretty good run out of it. Numerous vacuum leaks and some oil coming from the top of the tranny while the engine is running. We usually try and work on them at night for a few hours but this week has been one of those weeks it is best to sit on the computer and surf!

We would really like to thank Henry (Albuq. Henry) for making us some really awesome T-shirts. :punk: :punk: :punk:Can’t tell him thank you enough!!

[​IMG]

:thumbs up:

[​IMG]

Jay