Dash light bulbs

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by ragtopkid, Feb 11, 2008.

1. ragtopkid

ragtopkid Binder Driver

Are the twist in little dash light flash bulbs # 158 or # 194. I need to disasemble the cluster to change them but I need to move the 73 ScoutII out of the shop to change my Daughters oil in here car. Being lazy and not trying to do things twice.

2. Frankie Bagadonuts

Frankie Bagadonuts Farmall Cub

Either will work. I believe that bulb #168 is a modern replacement for 158. I just changed mine a couple of months ago. I used 194 at first, but then replaced them with 168 because they are brighter.

3. ragtopkid

ragtopkid Binder Driver

Thanks, I didn't want to pull the panel out before I had the correct ones in hand as I have to pull it out to take care of a car.

4. Architectdave

Architectdave High Wheeler

aubuchon hardware seells the bulbs for pennies. I got 8 when I was there.

5. Thomas

Thomas Dreams of Cub Cadets

---All auto parts should have the 158s I used to get mine at NAPA and sometimes you can even find them at Wal*Mart. Wal*Mart can order them for you, and you can also order them from Wal*Mart. 158s will last the longest. 168s will last longer than 194s and 194s will tick you off when you have to remove everything in a year, then every 3-4 months after, unless you replace them all while you're in there.

---194s will burn brightest, 168s will burn brighter than 158s and 158s will burn bright enough and last longest.

6. DrMaserati

DrMaserati High Wheeler

That is not correct. 168s are the brightest commonly available wedge base bulbs but have a shorter lifespan than a 194.

Here is the tech info and life expectency on three commonly used bulbs plus the 3652.

161, 14V, 1 cp/13 lumens, 4000 hrs
    194, 14V, 2 cp/25 lumens, 2500 hrs
    168, 14V, 3 cp/38 lumens, 1500 hrs
    3652, 13.5V, 6 cp/75 lumens, 700 hrs

As you can see, the 3652 is substantially brighter. The downside is cost and life expectancy. The 3652 is hard to find and expensive. The last ones I found were at NAPA and were almost $5 each.

7. ragtopkid

ragtopkid Binder Driver

Well I bought a dozen 168's at Napa yesterday they were 0.79 ea. 1500 hrs is a lot of time on a not Daily Driver rig.

8. Architectdave

Architectdave High Wheeler

I find I have various dash lights go out when its really cold tehn come back on later.....wish i knew how to fix that one...

9. S.H.A.F.T.

S.H.A.F.T. Farmall Cub

I tore my dashboard apart 10 times cleaning, tightening terminals and replacing bulbs before I noticed one of the plastic "ears" was broken off two of the little plastic bulb holders. I replaced them and have driven with all the dash lights on since.

S.H.A.F.T.

10. Frankie Bagadonuts

Frankie Bagadonuts Farmall Cub

While you have the board out, clean the contacts with a pencil eraser. You might also want to place a little solder on the base of the pins. I had a lot of loose pins or pins not making a good connection to the board which caused lights and guages to not work.

11. Stephen Byrd

Stephen Byrd Farmall Cub

Re: Dash light bulbs - An Alternative

Here is an alternative to the norm...

I use these in my '05 Chevy 2500hd for every bulb imaginable including footwell lights I installed. They are an advanced form of led's that put out a good deal of light, draw a very low current, and produce a fraction of the heat that a conventional bulb would. An added benefit is that led's have their life in the 10's of thousands of hours.

I have dealt with that particular seller a few times, and shipping is fast.

12. wetbackZO

wetbackZO Farmall Cub

funny you mention this...i'm currently experimenting with some similar 194 style LEDs, these are green and awesomely bright...still trying to figure out a way to install these on the original location of the incandescent set up...later dayz.

13. Stephen Byrd

Stephen Byrd Farmall Cub

In every application I have used them in, it has been a direct swap out... I am totally rewiring the scout with an EZ-21 so I guess I wont have any problems with it :stuart:

You are right in that they have great light output, although it is a much higher/tighter frequency than an incandescent therefore the light doesn't spread or bend as much as a traditional light would...

I still love them, and if you are running the stock alternator on a scout it saves a bunch of amps so you can direct them towards more important things like more efficient ignition and bright headlights!!!

Steve

14. wetbackZO

wetbackZO Farmall Cub

i know they won't directly swap into my dash, the original bulbs are the "54" type/style, so I'll need some "194" style pigtail connectors to make them work...shouldn't be a prob though, I actually work at an Auto Electric shop so I have access to all the cool electrical stuff for automotive applications.:beer:

15. Thomas

Thomas Dreams of Cub Cadets

---Thanks for the recap. I was thinking the higher the part number, the more lumens and lower the life. So what were the 158s that the Scout II originally came equipped with?

---I've been considering some new dash lights also, but when buying xenon off eBay at low prices, one could almost always bet that they are not true xenon. Xenon bulbs are not cheap, and when I ordered the set of 6000k green 9003/H4s/HB2 bulbs to mount in the globes I installed on my Scout II, I knew they weren't true xenon for $15 shipped.

---There also is frequently a lot of 20 LED mini bulbs on eBay for cheap.

---Don't know if they would be feasible in the dash, they might* last longer than a normal bulb... but then again are they true xenons? FWIW I'm thinking that a true xenon would live longer if used with a programmed start or a rapid start ballast. My next journey into exterior lighting just might start somewhere around the junk yard and finding some ballasts for my 9003s.

16. DrMaserati

DrMaserati High Wheeler

Specs are identical to the 194, but only a 500 hour life expectancy.

-

17. Stephen Byrd

Stephen Byrd Farmall Cub

No they are not true Xenon, I believe they are just referring to the light color frequency for reference. Led will FAR out last any any conventional or Xenon bulb and the light output is great. Led's are where lighting technology is heading in the future. They are becoming brighter and more efficient and will soon replace fluorescent lights in most offices and homes.

18. Brandonium

Brandonium Binder Driver

I just ordered 3652's for my dash and replaced all the instrument bulbs. It makes a huge difference from the stock ones. I paid $1.60 a piece for them. Since my dash is fully assembled I can't really see back there but are the same wedge-style bulbs used for the heater unit illumination as well as the legends (lights, 4 wheel drive, etc)? Where are these bulbs located? I can't seem to find them by feeling around for them. I did find that my clock uses a 1895 bayonet style bulb. Is there a higher output bulb for this type? The current illumination on my clock is a joke. It's much worse then my dash was with the original bulbs... All my gauges were rebuilt including the clock with quartz conversion.

Cheers,
    Brandon :taz: