Daniel's 800 Project retro wheeler

Discussion in 'Old Iron Offroad' started by lev1a, Sep 18, 2011.

1. lev1a

lev1a High Wheeler

Well we have taken some steps forward and then some steps back , but we still have some progress. First some pics to get us up to date. To make way for the t-19 wide box we got busy pulling the t-18.

[​IMG]

The clutch was due for an RR so while it was at the shop the engine got all new freezeplugs and gaskets.

4x4 holding the engine up while the trans is out.

[​IMG]

With the rear freeze plugs removed you can see what kind of trash is lurking in the water jackets of your IH. With all of the freeze plugs removed the cooling passages were flushed.

[​IMG]

Very small sample of what was inside.

[​IMG]

New freezeplugs, rear main, cam plate gasket , and side seals.

[​IMG]

A slide hammer with a long screw makes removing the old side seals a snap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RTV oil pan gasket. It didn't leak bad believe it or not.

[​IMG]

The oil pan got cleaned up and a fresh coat of paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dirty old engine got cleaned up and some new gaskets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Flywheel resurfaced, pressure plate rebuilt, new clutch disc , new throwout and pilot bearing in place.

[​IMG]

Cleaned up and resealed dana 20 and t-19 back in place.

[​IMG]

It was at this point that we hit our first snag. The clutch wouldn't disengage. So the only variable in question were the specs on the pressure plate so out it came and sure enough comparing the rebuilt unit to a know working unit I had on the ground they were not the same so back to the shop it went. When it came back it was re installed and the trans put back in. In the meantime we decided that the factory radiator was on its last legs so I picked up a new aluminum one from TAPP inc. out of NC.

Fitted and installed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was at this point that I was able to drive the rig around some. First the low range is AWESOME !!!!!!:punk: Sadly after a little drive time the trans developed a howl from the front bearing area. The trans showed no signs of wear and everything was tight when it was installed , but the noise was enough that I didn't feel cofortable with it as it was so out it came again to be gone through. Here is the trans loaded up to go visit a friend at another 4x4 shop in Oakridge, TN.

[​IMG]

SOooooo.. Just goes to show ya that sometimes these old things kick and scream when you start throwing new parts at em. what cha gonna do??? :hammer: We shoould have the trans back in a few days and I will get some videos of its new found low gear. :D

2. TNSportTop

TNSportTop Farmall Cub

The Story of our lives as binder owners. "One Piece at a Time".

3. TNSportTop

TNSportTop Farmall Cub

Wide Box Video?

4. lev1a

lev1a High Wheeler

Ask and ye shall receive. Here is a quick clip of the 800's new found low gear after the wide box was revived.

[youtube]CjeSsEJZI0U&list[/youtube]

5. TNSportTop

TNSportTop Farmall Cub

Not bad for 3.31 geared truck. tera low kit may be in the future.

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  6. lev1a

lev1a High Wheeler

Got a quick update for this build I thought I would post. Once again we did an electric wiper conversion using the parts list in Mark B.'s write up. If you own a 800 and haven't done this already you are missing out. On Eric's 800 we had some clearance issues with the aftermarket gauges and the glovebox. The glove box is easy enough to overcome, but the aftermarket gauge panel had to be reworked. This scout is all stock and there are no clearance issues in the gauge area so the only thing from making this a direct bolt in swap is the glove box will have to be modded and you have to drill 5/8" holes where the studs and shaft go through the windshield frame. Some PO of this rig had attempted a electric conversion of there own. The wiper arms had a whopping 10* of sweep and was just poorly done so out it came. Wish I would have snagged a video of it operating :hammer:

[​IMG]

More stuff yet to come so stay tuned.
    Reverse park passenger side installed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both sides in

[​IMG]

The previous rocker switch that operated the old wipers was removed leaving a hole so I opted to fill the hole with the new switch leaving the rest of the factory switches in their appropriate location for an otherwise stock looking dash.

[​IMG]

And here is the wiping action after everything is buttoned up.

[youtube]vsYFWZJzax4[/youtube]

7. guidolyons

guidolyons High Wheeler

Nice work as always Levi :punk:

8. lev1a

lev1a High Wheeler

Thanks Guido. We will be starting on some rust repair in the not so distant future.

9. lev1a

lev1a High Wheeler

Well with all that is going on in the shop at the moment the not so distant future turned into the slightly distant future, but none the less we are back on this one. Yeah...... it was a little more rusty than we thought, but I have seen worse......... :D

First thing we started on was the bed floor. The factory floor was pretty rough and had to come out so whileit was out we decided on something heavier. The sheeting for the rear floor ended up beeing 14 gauge tread plat, but first we had to reapair some of the main stucture.

[​IMG]

Making some c channel for bad supports

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Clamped in place before welding

[​IMG]

Also to stiffen things some of the rusted bed edges were removed, some gusets, and tied it back to the bed crossmember.

[​IMG]

The rest of the bed floor was removed of course and the new piece of tread plate fitted and spot welded in.

[​IMG]

10. lev1a

lev1a High Wheeler

Next up were the sides of the bed. The old was cut out and a 1 inch lip was left to use to spot weld to.

[​IMG]

Laying down on the job :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up was the driver side gas tank area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The outer pieces was cut to fit, butt up and tack tack tack all the way across

[​IMG]

Money

[​IMG]

We got a place to put the gas tank now!! Yes the inside of the gas tank area was prepped and painted before the tank went back in.

[​IMG]

11. lev1a

lev1a High Wheeler

If you can imagine the passenger side was more of the same so I will spare you the boring details and move on to the pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

gas tank area all finished up and the rocker pannel removed

[​IMG]

Now to keep thing in order I have to jump around abit here. The gas tank are was finished up and the front pasenger side floor needed som attention before I felt comfortable removing the rocker pannel so on to that.

The passenger side didnt reguire a full floor , so with the old removed i wanted to stiffen up the cab mount area and attach it to the inner rocker. Here I added a piece of 16G. sheet metal welded all the way around the outside, and plug welded in a few spots then reattached the cab mount

[​IMG]

With that taken care of I added the new floor pan and removed the rocker.

[​IMG]

Which brings us back to here. The inside all coated in POR 15 before the new sheetmetal goes back in.

[​IMG]

12. lev1a

lev1a High Wheeler

New rocker pannel fitted

[​IMG]

Quarter pannel patch fitted. Some time was spent with a cut off wheel, boddy hammer, and dolly to recreate some of the body line around the wheel well.

[​IMG]

Finished up

[​IMG]

Then we move on to the front.

[​IMG]

Passenger side kick pannel was a little crappy so this piece cam out and a new piece went in. I didnt get any pictures of this fully welded in , but new gussets went in at the door piller you get the idea.

[​IMG]

Now the driver side was really toast :hammer:

[​IMG]

This repiar was rebuilt in two pieces there is an inner and an outer and both were rusted out. Out with the bad.

[​IMG]

The inside was fitted and treaded with POR 15 before the outer went in, again i was slacking with the cammera.

[​IMG]

couple gussets

[​IMG]

Here you can see the lower kick pannel on the driver side was gone, but required a little larger of a patch to call it good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The driver side will be getting a new floor pan , new seat base, and a new cab mount. That will have to wait till next update. Stay tuned. :beer:

13. TNSportTop

TNSportTop Farmall Cub

when can you get the photos back up

14. lev1a

lev1a High Wheeler

As soon as I sort through all of them, re upload them, figure out where they go in the thread, ect, ect,ect. I need to do it, just am kind of disheartened by the amount of work that I lost and have been putting it off. If you want I can email you a file with all of the pictures of your build. :beer:

15. lev1a

lev1a High Wheeler

Didn't want to let this thread go to the wayside so I thought I would throw up some of the latest pics we got. This little guy is almost ready to go home for some body work and paint. Not really gonna give any text. Pics can speak for themselves. Mo metal work

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Front Por15ed

[​IMG]

Etching primer

[​IMG]

Canyon offroad hinges!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bedlined

[​IMG]

New bulkhead installed for the half cab

[​IMG]

Lastley for now we did a ton of work on a half cab to make it useable. It was still to rough to ever paint and make it look decent so we got some tinatble bedliner and shot it. The tint used was the metalic blue that was on the aristocrat tops. I believe that is the color scheme Daniel is going for.

[​IMG]