Daniel's 800 Project retro wheeler

Discussion in 'Old Iron Offroad' started by lev1a, Sep 18, 2011.

1. lev1a

lev1a High Wheeler

Playing around with the ratio calculator. The wide box, dana 20, and 3.07 's put us with a first gear low range of 39.39:1 compared to the 27.01:1 with the t-18,dana 20, and 3.31's that are under it now. If we feel froggy latter we may throw a teralo kit at the dana 20 to up the crawl ratio a good bit. The main goal of this project is to have a cool old school style FS service type rig that is capable on mild stuff yet will run 80 down the interstate and not be screaming. We gotta put some other service items into motion before we start the fun stuff. We gotta take care of the clutch, freeze plugs are shot so we are gonna flush the water jackets when we pop them out, engine was a little gummy looking inside so some seafoam and and an oil change is in order, and the radiator needs some love. Stay tuned!!!!:tank:

2. J.J.

J.J. Dreams of Cub Cadets

:hammer::cool2:
    :cool2::cool2::cool2:

I swear, I am gonna make a trip to visit OIOR to watch you work :wrenching:

JJ in TN

3. lev1a

lev1a High Wheeler

Come on down J.J. I am sure I can find a wrench to fit your hand.:D

Anyway this project is in the gathering parts stage , but for now I thought I would post the fruits of mine and Daniels scavenging this past Sat. Daniel sourced a T-19 wide box , but it was sitting in an old garage/shed in the middle of nowhere in Lascassas Tn. behind a ton of crap. After moving trucks and junk around we drug this bad boy home. The first pic is after multiple preasure washings/ scrubbing and pulling the t-case for inspection. Just to make sure it was in good shape we pulled the top cover and drained the fluid. The only thing I found was a couple of the gears had a good bit of rust on them. I was able to knock the worst of it off with a wire wheel, and the rest should be good with some running and a fluid change after a few miles of use.

[​IMG]

Some more cleaning later and a couple coats of paint, tins resealed, and put back together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now for a few more parts to surface and we shall start the :wrenching:

4. TNSportTop

TNSportTop Farmall Cub

I'll dig the axles out of the weeds this week. A Thanks goes out to Roy Stroud for the Tranny

5. db1115

db1115 High Wheeler

Those red covers are pimpin! :punk:

6. TNSportTop

TNSportTop Farmall Cub

Please post some photos of the brush guard so Others can share in my Nerdom.

7. lev1a

lev1a High Wheeler

Thanks DB. I think they look pretty slick myself. Shame you won't be able to see em running down the road.

Daniel had dropped off a factory brush guard that we thought would fit right in with the old school theme. So I dropped it off to be sandblasted as it had several coats of paint on it. In the past few weeks the truck really hasn't gotten a lot of love as we are still gathering and forming plans, but we did manage to pick up all the freeze plugs, run some seafoam through the engine, get the oil change, and prep and paint the front bumper and brush guard. So without further ado I am about to take ya back....... way back...... well way back to sometime in the 60's which actually is a long time ago as I am only 29.... anyway....:D

First I got the bumper wire wheeled down and cleaned with laquer. The bumper used for the brush guards must have had a little more curve to them on the ends as two of the mounting points sit just behind the top of the bumper. I will probably throw some mounting tabs on this one to bolt it all the way down.

[​IMG]

With the brush guard back from being sandblasted it was cleaned and shot with some primer as well as the bumper.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then It was shot with some good ole rustoleum hammered finish silver and mounted back on the rig. Totally changed the way the little scout sets. Thats old school fo sho. :yes:

[​IMG]

Now we have some stuff in the works for the not so distant future so stay tuned. :beer:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  8. TNSportTop

TNSportTop Farmall Cub

I'm a nerd. But I like It. Thank you Levi for humoring me. :beer:

9. LeftofLucky

LeftofLucky Farmall Cub

This machine's one step closer to a set of 44s with 3.31s. Tore down a donor with 3.07s tonight with Levi and Daniel after a little meet up with a bunch of good folk. Check it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVvdeAM1sW0

10. TNSportTop

TNSportTop Farmall Cub

Retro rear bumper installed and rear axle pulled and cleaned up this weekend spring conversion in progress. Beware of all these folks out there selling military wrap leaf springs for your 80 or 800 they are NOT just bolt on .

11. lev1a

lev1a High Wheeler

The last bit of progress nets us one 800 with the rear axle under the truck! The springs we are using are early CJ springs, are also military wrapped, and very beefy. If all goes well with this install I will be offering up everything you see here in the thread as far as suspension components go for sale in a complete kit. So far it is looking like with what we have done so far it will net you 3" of lift for your scout 80/800. Continuing on from last week we left off with the rear axle completely stripped with the carrier removed so the axle tubes can be cleaned. This is super important if you are going to remove the outer axle seals so the wheel bearing can be lubed by the diff fluid. You don's want all that trash mucking up your new wheel bearings.:nono: After that it was painted and put back together with new brakes and wheel cylinders. Since the CJ springs are longer than the stock rears it is gonna require that the spring hangers be relocated. For spring hangers we turned to Omix-Ada for a set. The set that we got required some modifications. These are drilled for a 9/16 bolt , but we took care of that with some 3/16 weld washers. First up is a shot of the 80 bumper sand blasted, painted and installed. It took some mods to make it work , but here she be.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know.. Somebody painted the IH logo backwards...... Wasn't me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rear springs also come with a set of 6.5 degree pinion shims . This next pic will show you what to do with them.

[​IMG]

Then the factory spring hangers were removed and the frame cleaned to receive the new ones.

[​IMG]

Hangers tacked in

[​IMG]

Once you have sat the vehicle on its weight, bounced around on it, and are happy with the shackle angle burn in the hangers.

[​IMG]

For the frame bushings we used a standard set of scout II spring bushings , but the shoulder was removed just enough so that you dont end up with the shackles looking like this \ / and you don't have the shackles riding against the hanger.

[​IMG]

The main concern is shackle angle anytime you are setting up new springs. Since these are lift springs and they are going to settle a bit we were shooting for a vertical shackle position with the weight on the rig. So no weight we started here. This rig also got a shackle upgrade to our HD shackles with a 3" eye to eye measurement.

[​IMG]

To use the upgraded ubolts it will also require you to redrill your current ubolt plates. Here they are cleaned up and painted.

[​IMG]

Axle under the rig.

[​IMG]

Since there are no good axle vents on the rear housing the housing was also drilled and tapped for 1/4"NPT and fitted with a barbed fitting. We got a cool plan for axle vents on this thing.

[​IMG]

Stay tuned for next time.

12. TNSportTop

TNSportTop Farmall Cub

Project continues. Just bought front seats.

13. gmbarker78

gmbarker78 Farmall Cub

That may be the cleanest 80/800 rear bumper I have ever seen. It's funny how many variations there were to that same style. Most of them beat to death with lots of "extra's" welded on.

14. TNSportTop

TNSportTop Farmall Cub

15. Ktown scout

Ktown scout Farmall Cub

I like the second choice. Where did you get your rear bumper?

16. TNSportTop

TNSportTop Farmall Cub

Bumper Came from northern Indiana farm country. There I vote One Lets get some more. Thinking Im gonna mount a set of 235/85/ 16 BFG KM2s on a set of these 16x7s

17. bindernut/gm

bindernut/gm Farmall Cub

Wow,what a great looking bumper. Looking forward to additional updates of your build.

18. lev1a

lev1a High Wheeler

Daniel I vote for the 950s. GM glad your are diggin it. Daniel came down this weekend and I got the greenlight to keep rocking so should have some updates at the end of this coming week.:beer:

19. TNSportTop

TNSportTop Farmall Cub

Thanks Goes To greg for saving parts like the rear bumper, which I Sourced from him, from the Northern salt and Scrap yards

20. jhnyct

jhnyct High Wheeler

I'm going to vote with Levi on this one. The 950 is the more "retro" of the two, but its still kinda modern looking for the retro theme.