Daniel's 800 Project retro wheeler

Discussion in 'Old Iron Offroad' started by lev1a, Sep 18, 2011.

1. lev1a

lev1a High Wheeler

A friend of mine from the Knoxville area decided it was time to show his most recent scout addoption some love. The specs on this rig is 1970 800a , originally an aristocrat, 304, 4 speed, dana 20, 30 closed knuckle front, 44 rear. The plans for this beast is to turn her into a pavement pounder/ retro style wheeler. Future upgrades are Scout II axles in the sprung under position, Front 44 cut and turned,2.5 lift springs, tall skinny tires on 16 x 6.5 wheels { idealy we want to run some old bias ply grip spurs if they can still be had} :yes: . For the moment we have it in the shop doing some basic repairs on the rig as when when it came in it was neglected by the previous owner. The clutch is shot, freeze plugs are in terrible shape, among a pretty good list of other things need to be tackled before any real mods are going to be made. When the rig came in it wasn't in running condition. It would spit and sputter , but not much more than that. After checking it over I noticed that the main body on the carb was severly bent. Looked like somebody smacked it with a sledge :no: , the dizzy was pretty sloppy, and the chasis and body were lacking grounds. First order of buisness was to drop in a new dizzy. I sourced a fresh holley gold box dizzy and dropped in a pertronix unit and new/used accel coil.

Here is how she sits currently.

[​IMG]

Holley dizzy with the goodies installed. MMMMM . Scout parts, pistol, and a samich. Life don't get no better.:D

[​IMG]

The old dizzy came out and the the engine was re-timed starting from scratch. If you can tell me what is wrong with this picture I will send you an Old Iron Sticker. I know...... what a prize huh..... cut me some slack I am just starting out :D .

[​IMG]

The rig also got a Scout II disc drum master installed in preperation for the scout II 44 front swap. It is curently supplying the stopping power VIA the old drum drum setup.

[​IMG]

I ended up splicing two pushrods together by chamfering the ends, welding them up, and then adding a sleeve.

[​IMG]

After the dizzy swap, carb work, and timing and tuning it purrs and has loads of power running down the road. Here is a video.

[youtube]KNgZ-uun47U[/youtube]

2. Tres03

Tres03 Binder Driver

Here is what is wrong with the picture. The distributor cap is not on it and a wire is missing and its not installed on the engine. :D

3. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

Thats a holley cap,but the distributor isnt,the vacume chamber(my mind will not come up with the name right now) is not correct,tells me is a prestolite,it has the gold box dust cover.
    Jeff

4. lev1a

lev1a High Wheeler

Jeff you got it. When I first glanced at it I noticed the advance canister looked a little funny, but it didn't register. After messing around with it some I pulled the cap and was like hmmmmm. Thats not cool. They were running a mix match of holly and prestolite dizzy parts. Jeff Pm me your addy and I will send you a sticker. :beer:

Good try Tres03. :D Thanks for playing.:beer:

5. TNSportTop

TNSportTop Farmall Cub

Thinking I might get carried away on this one. Which is good for you.:4x4:
    Also to be added an original scout800 brush guard with a Warn 8274 mounted behind it an original 800A spare tire holder with an rear step bumper modeled after the old scout80 step bumpers with end cap guards. For Levi's consideration....

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  6. 800bman

800bman High Wheeler

I was wondering who bought this one. I tried to grab it off craigslist but someone beat me to it.
    glad its being worked on!

7. TNSportTop

TNSportTop Farmall Cub

You might be happy you didn't get it she is gonna take a bit to get her solid

8. lev1a

lev1a High Wheeler

Ohhhhhh. Now Daniel. She aint that bad. It needs some love, but at the end of the day you will be happy with what you end up with. :D :beer:

9. TNSportTop

TNSportTop Farmall Cub

10. lev1a

lev1a High Wheeler

Those definetly fit the bill of "old school". The 16's have an od of a little over 30" it looks like, but we would have to come up with some wheels if you don't want to use the ones you dropped off.

11. Anthony Weigant

Anthony Weigant Farmall Cub

Forgive me for bieng the "buttinski", but coker molds retro mud tires, more like o.e., but some military treads as well. worth checking out...

edit. just looked at their site, and can't find anything but military good years. need to find my catalogue......

By the way, if I point out the HUGE amount of electrical tape on the coil wire, does that get me a sticker?

And all these 800s popping up in E. Tennessee is gettin me antsy!! Must......build........faster!!!

12. TNSportTop

TNSportTop Farmall Cub

Anthony check this out. This is how we Roll in Knoxville

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

13. TNSportTop

TNSportTop Farmall Cub

Come Play when you get it done we'll meet At Levi's

14. lev1a

lev1a High Wheeler

I need to get a meet and greet together at my place for the Eastern and Middle TN guys to meet. Maybe fall Bonfire/pork roast.:cornfused: Maybe we can talk Daniel into bringing his 99.95% restored Sport Top pictured above. Anyway Tony, Daniel does his homework, and I would be happy to put a sticker on your rig if you'll sport it. It is good for an extra 10HP you know :D. He has already shown me a few cool sites for vintage style stuff. Check this link out if you want some old school tread.

https://www.universaltire.com/

And something like this is what we are thinking for this rig.

https://www.universaltire.com/truck-and-military/truck/700-15-sta-super-traxion.html

15. Anthony Weigant

That is like the driveway of my dreams! Very nice!

Those were the tires I thought I saw in the coker catalogue, very close to the origional spare I had when I first bought my II. I agree with where this is headed. Would be a nice look.

My 800 will be a little, how should I say it, "deviated from stock" when its done. It'll be a few, got the II on the chopping block right now. But its gotta be ready for next November, right, levi?

A fall M&G is a great Idea! Doug and I were already planning on a Christmas party, so a bonfire is super cool. I'll do the cookin' again if you like....

And as far as the sticker, I could use 10bhp, and maybe a dent cover-er up-er or two....

16. J.J.

J.J. Dreams of Cub Cadets

I'M in for BOTH!!!!!!

JJ in TN

17. lev1a

lev1a High Wheeler

Cool J.J. I will plan on smoking a couple pork butts and we will put Tony on grill duty. I will get a poll and another thread going to see if we can't get it worked around everyones schedule. :beer:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  18. Anthony Weigant

I love it!! I'm cookin' at the Binder Bonfire 2011!!!!!

Levi I knew I would be famous someday if I hung around you long enough!!!

Sorry Daniel, Hijack over.....

And now back to your regularly scheduled build......

19. TNSportTop

TNSportTop Farmall Cub

Buddy Hijack Away. I love it when people get Amped over Binder Stuff Especially Binder Parties.

20. TNSportTop

TNSportTop Farmall Cub

Hopefully more to come. t-19 wide box and 3.07 dana 44s. high I know but thats what we have.