Dana 70 Large Ball King Pin Shimming

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by mjmck, Jan 7, 2020.

1. mjmck

mjmck Farmall Cub

Basically re-furbishing my Dana 70F axle in my 69' 1300D. I reused all of the same races, bushings and bearings. Doing so I also re-used all of the same shims thinking if it was in spec prior it should be following (my truck is VERY original with 4,600 miles). The passenger side was barely within specification at 21-22 ft/lbs of breaking torque (this was taken per shop manual with no axle shaft or knuckle seal). Today I installed the drivers side and would say it is 17-18 ft/lbs breaking torque.

I am looking to get my numbers more to mid spec at 30 ft/lbs (if its worth the time). Per torque king what I need to do is remove some bottom shims in order to increase the pre-load on the bearing. Can anyone confirm this? I was going to go out and buy some more shims, but it looks like I need to do the opposite to get back within spec. This truck will be a weekend show rig, so not many miles per year.

2. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

Dont you have a service manual ?

3. mjmck

mjmck Farmall Cub

I do, but for some reason can't locate this within it. Maybe I am missing it but the disassembly and re-assembly process are vague in this aspect. For some reason my manual goes in to crazy detail about the actual process of removing a front axle u-joint but the rest is at a broader level. Will take another look.

jeff campbell likes this.
  4. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

Sometimes its good to re-read & read again. 2nd time you do, ot will be clearer to you. Sit down, relax & focus !

mjmck likes this.
  5. patrick r

patrick r Binder Driver

The info you were given is correct. Here is what I found for a 44 front axle. This says to measure it before the seal is installed.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mjmck likes this.
  6. Darrel

Darrel Dreams of Cub Cadets

Grease and temperature will affect your break away torque. If you don't have any thin (e.g .002-003) shims in the existing pack you may still need new ones to get it in range. That said, I'm not sure it's necessary to adjust used bearings to what are probably new bearing specs.

Usually we call these axles "closed knuckle" not large ball. That may help you with searches.

mjmck likes this.
  7. mjmck

mjmck Farmall Cub

My manual has the same blurb as what you posted Pat. More wanted to make sure I was going in the right direction with removal or adding of shims. The manual seems super specific on stuff that seems simple to me and vague on some stuff that doesn't. I also printed off the Spicer Model 70 Maintenance Manual for reference too and it doesn't specify anything more than the IH Manual.

Good point Darrel! Another thing that sticks out to me is the IH manual lists 20-40 ft/lbs breaking torque and the Spicer Manual states 20-30 ft/lbs. My plan is to leave the passenger side as it was within spec, however I am going to remove the thinnest shim on the drivers bottom in an effort to see if it tightens things up to greater than 20 ft/lbs. It says poor steering or death wobble can happen below specs. All of the bearings were in such good condition I couldn't justify replacing them.

8. patrick r

patrick r Binder Driver

I see what you mean. It does not specify if adding shims increases or decreases the preload.
    Adding increases the space, decreasing the pressure and lowering the preload and vice versa.
    Your plan to remove a thin one on that side and recheck the preload sounds fine. New vs old barely applies on yours given the very low mileage and known use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mjmck and jeff campbell like this.
  9. mallen

mallen High Wheeler

You sure it's not 104000?

10. mjmck

mjmck Farmall Cub

Honestly I cant be 100% certain. But the evidence during disassembly has been backing it up so far. This truck has been on an Alcoa Foundry since brand new. The Foundry Operations Manager stated it was accurate as it has never been registered/on the road or even left the Foundry since new. My Company bought it from Alcoa for dust suppression activities. Used it for 2 years and it sat in our shop for another 2 with me taking it to parades. So I am technically the 3rd owner.

stroker3 likes this.
  11. mjmck

mjmck Farmall Cub

Messed with it this am. A couple pictures here just to keep this thread whole. The remainder I will put in my Build thread.

Tried to pull a shim to tighten up the drivers side, unfortunately even removing the thinnest shim was still too much. Will have to do for now at ~18 ft/lbs.
    20200108_053552.jpg 20200108_054114.jpg

Torque at shim removal:
    20200108_054009.jpg

Torque with shim replaced:
    20200108_054711.jpg

12. ruderunner

ruderunner High Wheeler

What about swapping shims from side to side? May get you more adjustment.

13. mjmck

mjmck Farmall Cub

Definitely an option. For now I have already proceeded and have the backing plates and spingles on. If I have steering issues down the road I will have to revisit!

jeff campbell likes this.