Dana 60 Rear Axle Seal 1210 1310

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Robert Bishop, May 19, 2020.

1. Robert Bishop

Robert Bishop Binder Driver

Do any of you with a 1210/1310 Dana 60/RA17 have any problems with the axle shaft seal leaking? I use a National 455008 and battle this problem quite a bit on my two trucks. There is no perceptible groove on the spindle sealing surface. Maybe a CR 26921 is a better seal? When they leak, my brake shoes get soaked in 90 weight and that heavy drum/hub is challenging for an old man to R & R. I put a bit of sealant on the seal OD and try to be careful sliding the hub assembly in place over the spindle. Thanks

Edit: That reminds me I need to check my vent/breather to make sure it is clear.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  2. TBAKPhi22

TBAKPhi22 Binder Driver

Get a sleeve for it... I had that problem for years- no groove and it would always seem to seep out. The axle/drum/hub are a pain in the butt to take out. Never had a problem since I put them on... that is for a 1310 ra-15 rear. It will be different for a dana 60, but I am sure you could get them. 20200519_194125.jpg 20200519_194135.jpg

Robert Bishop likes this.
  3. Robert Bishop

That is a good idea. I have a shaft diameter of 2.687" and SKF has a sleeve listed for a 2.677" and 2.730" shaft. So don't think those would work on mine. They said they could make a special size not listed if needed in quantity. Thanks

4. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

Thats the ticket ! Speedie-sleeve

5. Darrel

Darrel Dreams of Cub Cadets

Bent axle tubes will cause the seals to leak in a short period of time. Walking up to trucks in the junk yard I often see an bow to the axles.

Robert Bishop and jeff campbell like this.
  6. Robert Bishop

Just to follow-up, there are no repair/speedi sleeves in my size (2.687") and no bent axle tubes. Was pondering the idea of using two of the seals shown below in the first picture to to form a double-lip seal in effect. The two of these seals would be slightly thicker than the one original seal (.468"), but would be fine. The original style seal is shown in the second picture. Have checked all the seal PDF's and this was all I could come up with. Thanks for the replies.
    https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=254213&jsn=259
    https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=255255&jsn=268

Last edited: May 21, 2020 at 8:06 AM
  7. ruderunner

ruderunner High Wheeler

Look into cassette seals, they have an inner and outer shell and are very leak resistant.

8. RinTX

RinTX High Wheeler

And I learn something new every day! Wonder if someone makes these for a 1956 tractor!

9. Robert Bishop

Thanks, will check them out!

10. Darrel

Darrel Dreams of Cub Cadets

A bearing supply shop might be able to come up with a cassette seal. I looked up the specs for a few of them that I know of and no match. That said regular National seals have always worked great for me. Even with a somewhat grooved spindle. Really sounds like a vent/heat problem if your housing is indeed straight and the lip is facing the correct direction.

11. Robert Bishop

Yes, I have always felt the National was the premier seal. Just replaced 4 on the two trucks, 2 National and 2 Timken 455008, so we will see. I check the vents every few years and they are fine. Often wondered if there was not enough pre-load on the bearings before, causing the wheel to wobble ever so slightly, which might allow a seal to leak. Was very careful to get the bearing pre-load properly set this time. Put new shoes back there, so hopefully they will stay dry for awhile.