Dana 300 shift rail removal

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by knapp870, Aug 1, 2014.

1. knapp870

knapp870 Farmall Cub

Hello everyone,

I recently got a Scout Dana 300 to replace my d20 and I want to perhaps shim the poppet springs and deepen the indents on the shift rails to prevent the dreaded pop out syndrome. In looking at the 300, it appears as if you can just pop the bottom pan off and loosen the shift fork set screws without removing the gears. I would of course also need to pull of the front plate that the shifters attach to to be able to get at the poppet springs from the backside while i put the shift rails back in. But, this seems much easier than tearing the whole case down as it looks to be in pristine shape. I'm guessing a rebuild prior to my purchase.

Is this incorrect? Has anyone tried it this way? What am I missing as a hurdle? Thanks!!

2. knapp870

knapp870 Farmall Cub

Here is a picture of what I'm seeing. The one set screw that is partially blocked can obviously be moved back by shifting.

Attached Files:

3. Patrick Morris

Patrick Morris Lives in an IH Dealership

Haven't done this myself, but from what I remember reading when I was looking into swapping to a twin-stick on my D300 your procedure sounds correct.

I know you are looking for personal confirmation from a member here, but have you googled the procedure? Tons of info, how-tos, images, etc are available online.

4. knapp870

knapp870 Farmall Cub

Ya I've googled till the cows come home but most posts are replacing gears, rebuilds, or on d20s that require pulling all the guts out.

5. Patrick Morris

Patrick Morris Lives in an IH Dealership

Hmm. Yeah. Well as I said, I found it while researching twin-stick swaps. That is where info like this would normally be found since people don't usually mess with changing detent characteristics unless they are swapping to a twin-stick arrangement. And when doing a twin-stick, this is typically the only procedure people want to fool with, as far as the t-case itself is concerned.

But hopefully someone will jump in here with personal experience.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  6. Sammy

Sammy Y-Block King

Done this two weeks ago. Do yourself a favor and pull out the intermediate shaft and gear. I fought with mine for hours, pulled it and 20 minutes I was done. There's about 32 needle bearing in there with a spacer, 2 skinny spacers and 2 big washers on the ends and they only go in one way. Drive the shaft out to get to the set screws on the rails. The outside rail should come out first, turn it 90* and pull and it should slide right out, same with inside rail. Everything goes back in the way it came out. Smear a ton of grease on the needle bearings to keep them in place when putting the shaft back in.