D20, TC145 teach us

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by rediesel, Feb 17, 2006.

1. rediesel

rediesel Farmall Cub

I'm doing research on the tcase for my 79 SII. Doug says it should be a D20, he should be right, which i think should also be called tc145. However i think the shifters for the D20 or TC 145 are closer together than mine. Who else can help. I can't do anything untill tomorrow so just trying to learn something new.

2. George Womack

George Womack High Wheeler

Yep, unless it has been swapped, your '79 should have a Dana Model 20 transfer case. IH called it TC145. It should have only one shift lever. Picture=1000 words.

3. George Womack

George Womack High Wheeler

I just looked at your other post. Your TRANSFER CASE has one shift lever. The other lever is for the TRANSMISSION.

4. Doug Shailor

Doug Shailor Guest

More info:

Early D20's came in a twin stick (shift levers) confirguation but long before '79 the single stick version was used by IH.

If you have a 4 speed tranny then it should be a Borg Warner T-19. If it is a 3 speed then it should be a BW T-15D.

The T-19 came with two different sets of gear ratios. The wide version has a first gear of 6.xx:1 and the close version has a first gear of 4.xx:1.

You might discover a lot of this info is in the FAQ section as well as tons of other stuff. The FAQ button is the tool bar near the top of the screen.