D15

Discussion in 'Triple Diamond Trucks' started by motoOzarks, Oct 2, 2018.

1. motoOzarks

motoOzarks Farmall Cub

any other owners on here?

IMG_0541.jpg

michael sharp and scout2000 like this.
  2. scout2000

scout2000 Y-Block King

not here, but wish I did.

Great looking truck. And.......Welcome to Binder Planet.

3. motoOzarks

motoOzarks Farmall Cub

thanks
    I'm hoping to find info on rebuilding the engine.
    IMG_0547.jpg

4. rotak

rotak Farmall Cub

Looks epic clean. Does the engine turn over? Are you rebuilding for specific reasons or just for yuks? Either way, the GRDs are stout little engines and you ought not to have too bad a time with it.

5. motoOzarks

motoOzarks Farmall Cub

The engine does not turn over for unknown reason as it ran when I got it. I prefer to keep it original.
    IMG_0546.jpg

6. rotak

rotak Farmall Cub

So it's probably not seized WAY hard like mine was. I had to bash pistons with woodblocks and hammers but YMMV. If yours ran not that long ago, it might come loose with some coaxing. Pull the plugs, pour some penetrating fluid (I like 50/50 acetone/ATF--shake it vigorously! or it will not mix nicely) into the cylinders and let it sit a day or two. Then, put the truck into top gear (should be 4th? 4 on the floor, right?) and gently rock it back and forth. Have a buddy shove it while you pull on the front bumper, you get a nice rhythm that way. If you're lucky, it'll break loose and start rolling slowly. There should also be an inspection cover over the flywheel--you can remove that and attempt to break it loose that way as well. I used a chunk of scrap aluminum and bashed the hell out of it with a 4 lb sledge to finally get my engine moving smoothly, but that was after I wailed on the piston with a block of wood and a hammer. Of course, do remember to take the engine out of gear if you're busting out the hammers. Hopefully yours puts up less of a fight. :) Good luck and have fun--it probably needs less rebuilding than you think!

7. motoOzarks

motoOzarks Farmall Cub

I have soaked it with everything for months now. Most of it fills the manifold and runs out exhaust. I jacked one side rear off the ground and used a six foot rock bar thru the wheel. No movement in any gear. IMG_0545.jpg

8. michael sharp

michael sharp Farmall Cub

Was it running when it seazed? how long ago, what kind of info,ect,ect???? And welcome!

9. motoOzarks

motoOzarks Farmall Cub

It ran when I got it some 15 years ago, but not well under any throttle. It would spit and cough.
    The exhaust manifold was rusted away at the flanges so I had it machined down a bit. When I installed it I put some air pressure to the tank to move fuel up to the carb and blew somebodies epoxy patch off the gas tank. So I had the tank sealed, but didn't install for several years.
    I went to start it and cannot get it to budge. Its been stored in my shop the whole time. IMG_0543.jpg

10. michael sharp

michael sharp Farmall Cub

was the oil bath filter on and full the whole time? If so and the exhaust let humidity in it can't get out so it comes in your open exhaust valves than to the carb condenses and back as H2O into the open intake valves....pull the head any open valved piston will be messed up and full of crud....sorry.... but if you did get it to turn it would only go till it hit that crud! Vacuum out the crud, blow out around the rings, heat up one piston at a time with a heat gun(or a blow dryer with your palm blocking most of the intake) them pour in some sewing machine oil(walmart Singer works fine) than do the next let it sit a few hours and try it...If any of the pitons are oxidized to the point of no return(i.e.gone to the first ring) this won't work, that one will need to be beat out.

motoOzarks likes this.
  11. motoOzarks

motoOzarks Farmall Cub

One of the best forum thread posts I've ever read
    And I've read a lot
    Thank you