D series patch panels

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Fred Demmon, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Fred Demmon

Fred Demmon Y-Block King

image.jpg was wondering if anyone has ever tried to use a patch panel from a different Mfg like Chevy-Dodge-Ford

Looked at LMC book at patch panels for a 73-87 Chevy truck, made me wonder if anyone has found SOMETHING that would work
    Like 7-8-9
    Somebody please help

2. mallen

mallen High Wheeler

best bet is to go to a wrecker and look.

3. tim vaughan

tim vaughan Farmall Cub

Seems like somebody on here was making some panels, but i can't remember who it was.

4. 73 Travelette

73 Travelette Farmall Cub

I`ve heard of people using cab corners from 67-72 chevy pickups. I even bought a set but haven`t gotten around to trying them yet

5. J.J.

J.J. Dreams of Cub Cadets

I have personally seen the 67-72 cab corners on a D truck locally, it turned out great!

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that Fred is seeking advice for the rear quarters for his Wagonmaster.

I don't think that they will work. The outer contour is completely different between the Suburban and the Travelall/WM. You would want the outer lip to line up with the inner lip of your inner fender, which the GM won't as stated above--it's different. I have seen where front fenders were used as an entire arch (not sectioned), but still the lips didn't line up, and the gaps (large) were filled with seam sealer. Somehow they just don't look quite right...

Travelall/WMs like to rust under the gas tank/spare tire area. You **might** be able to graft in one of the lower patch panels, but it would be interesting to see how it roll under the body and attach to the bottom panel. Brian Huver as I recall fabbed up some panels that looked decent on his WM. Michigan Scout (?) aka Darren might have had the line on the manufacture of the panels.

My theory is that bed sides from a D pickup would work, with some tweaking would work. Really, I need to get my Travelall and pickup side by side to compare and measure, just havent gotten around to it :)

I lucked out with my WM as I was able to buy a rear quarter from Don Minor thru Michigan Scout at Nationals this last year, and found a local Travelall that had been wrecked to donate the other.

Fred, I feel your pain, and was actually thinking about your situation the other day. I have a 69 1110 here that is going to go to scrap soon, and the bedsides are good (the inside of the box is rust and air), I'll sawzall them off and see how they are compared to my Travelall.

JJ in TN

6. pwschuh

pwschuh Farmall Cub

Enough people have asked about these over the years, including myself, that I am surporised that no one has begun to offer them yet.

7. J.J.

You'd think, but maybe by the time production was tooled up for 50 or 60 people, the market would be over.

JJ in TN

8. Forcus

Forcus Farmall Cub

I tried this but couldn't make it work. I'm not saying someone with talent couldn't do it but I was not successful. I did however try 53-56 F100 corners and the curve was much closer in my opinion.

Personally the best advice I've seen for Travelalls and pickups is to cut up some front fenders to make new rear wheelwells. I personally never liked that the rear wheelwells on D series T-alls and trucks were smaller than the fronts so it takes care of that and it sure seems like front fenders are in abundance (relatively speaking). Most everything is flat, bent metal with simple geometry. I went and bought a sheetmetal brake (36"?) from Harbor Freight and it was an immense help for these parts.

9. Fred Demmon

Fred Demmon Y-Block King

i have a couple donor front fenders that were acquired specifically for this purpose.

10. pwschuh

pwschuh Farmall Cub

I would buy several sets of front fenders and complete rear quarters as insurance against future rust or accident.

11. J.J.

Today I was in the shop, and thought that I would put a Travelall rear quarter up against the side of a pickup to compare. My thought has always been to use pickup bed quarters instead of the front fender option. As you can see, the sweep of the rear of the fender in the rear is different:

[​IMG]

I understand the use of front fenders in a pinch or economics, but the ones that I have seen the inside lip of the inner fender does not match the outer, and although seam sealer was gooped in, there was still considerable gap potential of trapping water. What happens when the sealer cracks out?

JJ in TN

12. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

I didn't use any seam sealer in mine,alot of cutting and welding though.

13. Fred Demmon

Fred Demmon Y-Block King

14. Fred Demmon

Fred Demmon Y-Block King

15. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

Those are not shaped correctly ,look more like scoutII,and look at the buckle in the metal above the straight body line.

16. J.J.

That looks very Scout II to me:
    [​IMG]

JJ in TN