D Series 1210 Upper Radiator Hose for 392

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by pwschuh, May 15, 2019.

1. scoutboy74

scoutboy74 Lives in an IH Dealership

Looking at Rock Auto choices for the 's' shaped upper hose, they list a Dayco 70738 with an advertised span of 14.75 inches. We already know the Gates 20849 tends to be on the short side and there is no length mentioned for it. The AC Delco 22083M has an advertised span of 14.59 inches. It might be worth giving the Dayco a try to see if it actually is generous enough to work.

2. pwschuh

pwschuh Farmall Cub

Ordered the DAYCO, will report back.

3. pwschuh

pwschuh Farmall Cub

Big Thank You!!! to Trever. The DAYCO arrived and it is exactly the right size. Details matter. Thanks again to all who weighed in.

4. scoutboy74

That's great news! Tells me the older hose that I moved from the Scout to a 1210 must be a Dayco. A few of their past slogans:
    "Dayco...we cut 'em long"
    "Dayco...our angry inch beats the competition by a mile"
    "Dayco...all the hose you'll ever need to roll out"

jeff campbell likes this.
  5. J.J.

J.J. Dreams of Cub Cadets

The difference is the set back motor 74/75. The later ones have to have the kink to clear the fan shroud and motor placement vs the earlier ones 69-73 are a straight shot. I have both versions out here in my boneyard. The top radiator outlets are different as well. Bottom is the same for all years.

JJ in TN

6. pwschuh

pwschuh Farmall Cub

J.J., I don't understand. The difference is only supposed to be air pump or no air pump. My 1210 is a 72 and it uses the hose with a kink to clear the fan shroud. The issue being discussed here is that some hose manufacturers cut the kinked hose too short.

scoutboy74 likes this.
  7. scoutboy74

Yeah Paul, I think it's just hard for people to understand how a slightly shorter upper hose could be an issue. It's just one of those "you have to be there" things. Once you've encountered it, then you know. The upper hose for '74-5 is a totally different part number and shape. You're dealing with a '72 truck and the truck I experienced this phenomena in is a '71, so no setback engines or straight upper radiator outlets in either case. The different suppliers are simply cutting the hoses to different lengths, which in most cases, may not be a problem, but we certainly know that in some cases it is a problem.