D Series 1210 Upper Radiator Hose for 392

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by pwschuh, May 15, 2019.

1. pwschuh

pwschuh Farmall Cub

I am prepping to flush cooling system and wanted to have new hoses on hand.

My truck currently has the upper "with air pump" hose installed. (As opposed to the much longer "w/o air pump" hose.)

I ordered a new one from Rock Auto and it is about an inch and a half shorter than the hose on there now. I went to NAPA and they showed me their version and it is exactly the same size as the Rock Auto hose.

The part numbers on Rock Auto (for the various manufacturers) are AC DELCO 22083M, CONTINENTAL 60778, and DAYCO 70738.

If these really are the correct hoses, does my new one (AC Delco) seem shorter just because the old one on the truck has gotten stretched out over time due to engine movement?

Thanks for any input.

2. mallen

mallen High Wheeler

Or someone used a different hose that happened to fit. The real question is, is your hose the right shape, and long enough.

3. pwschuh

pwschuh Farmall Cub

The new hose is exactly the right shape but when I lay it on top of the installed hose, it is 1.5 inches shorter overall. I haven't removed the old hose yet (because I haven't drained the system yet), but it looks like the new hose may have a tough time bridging the gap between the radiator fitting and the engine fitting. In other words, it may not slide over the fittings enough to securely fasten with a clamp.

4. 1975IH200

1975IH200 High Wheeler

Basically, there are two upper hoses available.
    Which hose you need depends upon which upper coolant outlet your SV-8 engine has installed.
    .....see below:
    Gates 20846, NAPA 7586.
    Gates 20846 - NAPA 7586 - Upper Rad Hose.JPG
    Gates 20849, NAPA 7589.
    Gates 20849 - NAPA 7589 - Upper Rad Hose.jpeg

Last edited: May 16, 2019 at 1:37 PM
    jeff campbell likes this.
  5. 1975IH200

1975IH200 High Wheeler

Bypass hose: fits 266/304 (short deck) and 345/392 (tall deck). Must be trimmed to fit application.
    Bypass Hose - GATES 20357 - NAPA 7197.jpg
    Gaste 20357 or NAPA 7197

6. 1975IH200

1975IH200 High Wheeler

Lower hose: Gates 20848, NAPA 7588.
    Gates 20848 - NAPA 7588 - Lower Rad Hose.jpg

7. pwschuh

pwschuh Farmall Cub

Yes, I know this. I know I need the second hose and I bought the second hose. But it appears to be under-length when compared to old hose. What I am asking is if this is more likely a production error on my new hose, or if it is more likely that it only seems under-length because my old hose has stretched out over time.

8. scoutboy74

scoutboy74 Lives in an IH Dealership

Yes, I've encountered this before in the past as well. The Scout II calls for the same upper hose as the bottom one pictured in post #3 of this thread. The D-truck radiator is wider than the SII radiator. My theory is, at some point in time, the hose manufacturers all started cutting that particular hose length to fit the Scout II platform, not taking into account the wider radiator and thus greater distance to span in the D-truck platform. It's plenty long enough to work just fine in a Scout II, but not so much in a D-truck. It was several years back that I encountered this. How I got around it, was I took the one from my Scout that was still in good shape and with length to spare and put that on the D-truck. Then I took the brand new one that I had intended to put on the D-truck, but was too short for it and put it on the Scout as like I said, the length was adequate to work there. I don't know what the solution is for this issue, but the OP isn't crazy. This is a real issue.

9. scoutboy74

Here's one way of addressing the too short upper hose. Cut it in half. Then get a short piece of pipe with OD that matches hose ID. Slap some hose clamps on it and you've now restored the length that the manufacturer erroneously stole from you. A bit uncouth and distateful, I admit, but in the interest of git-r-dun and may-kr-fit, sometimes that's what it takes.

10. mallen

mallen High Wheeler

Thats what I did to make my radiator fit. I used a piece of 2" exhaust pipe.

11. 1975IH200

1975IH200 High Wheeler

Then use this hose and trim it to fit.
    Gates 20846 / NAPA 7586
    Gates 20846 - NAPA 7586 - Upper Rad Hose.JPG

12. scoutboy74

I've tried this. I think the problem with doing it is, the ID of the main portion of the hose won't fit the engine water neck. The part that gets cut off is graduated out from 2" ID to 2.25" ID where it slips on the water neck. The shorter upper hose does not have the same ID on both ends.

13. 1975IH200

1975IH200 High Wheeler

Either P/N upper hose fits properly with the appropriate water neck on my truck, without any modification.
    What is different with the OP's truck? Post a photo of your upper hose situation, please.

14. scoutboy74

Just as both he and I have stated and also Mallen has dealt with...the length of some of those shorter design upper hoses has been found to be inadequate to span the distance between radiator fitting and engine water neck in D-trucks. When more than one person is reporting the same issue, then it isn't make believe.

15. 1975IH200

1975IH200 High Wheeler

I did not claim anything was make believe.
    I asked to see the situation the OP is experiencing.
    This is 2019, digital photography is available at your fingertips with cell phones and digital cameras. It's simple enough that I can do it.

16. scoutboy74

No shit. Lest we forget, different circumstances in different folks lives may preclude them from rushing right out that very instant to snap and post pics. Now behold if you will, the following dramatic, photographic evidence of Bigfoot's existence. Granted the length difference is less than an inch. Roughly half an inch from what I can discern. But, even that minor deficiency can be enough to make the difference between a good, secure clamping surface at both ends, and one that isn't quite so nifty in certain applications. I don't know what brand of hose is seen on the 1210 now. It's an older hose with an uneven texture to it. This hose had been on the Scout prior to installing it on the 1210. The smooth texture Gates 20849 that you now see on the Scout was what I purchased with the intention of installing it on the 1210, only I didn't like the fit when I tried it. It was lacking just enough length to make me not feel warm and fuzzy about installing it on the truck. When I laid it atop the one that was installed in the Scout at that time, I could see there was an obvious length difference between the two. So all I did was take the one off the Scout and put it on the 1210, which was long enough to make me feel warm and fuzzy about it, leaving me with the brand new, but slightly shorter Gates hose to install on the Scout, which I did without modification. So both hoses pictured here are in their as sold, unmodified length. This could be purely a random circumstance based on the person operating the hose cutter during a particular batch of hoses on a particular shift. If you haven't had the occasion to replace this style of hose in a D-truck in the several years, then perhaps that could explain why you haven't yet encountered it. Or it could simply just be luck of the draw.

Attached Files:

17. pwschuh

pwschuh Farmall Cub

Trevor, thanks for jumping in while I was at work. And for all the helpful advice. The 2" exhaust pipe (painted satin black) will likely have to do the trick.

18. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

There are some D series rads with a straight fitting instead of the curved fitting,maybe that hose will fit,dont remember the year it came from,but theres a rad in my garage like that.

19. pwschuh

pwschuh Farmall Cub

There are only two radiator hoses listed for the D Series with 392; the two pictured in post #4 above. The top hose should have been the correct hose for my radiator with a curved neck. The bottom hose, which is supposed to be for trucks without air pump, looks like it might go on a straight neck outlet, but it can't really be modified to work on my truck due to the different end diameters. The part you would have to cut off to make it fit is the part with the correct size hose ID.

20. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

Look for 345 hoses,they sometime don't list them the right way,