D&C and RMIHR

Discussion in 'D and C Extreme' started by Damian Grihalva, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Damian Grihalva

Damian Grihalva High Wheeler

Well folks, I've been asked a few times, so I thought that I should answer the unasked question.

Why wasn't at RMIHR this year, it pained me to miss it ~ it was the first time since 1999. I have a ton of stuff I could have brought, but no time to pack it up.

The Friday before RMIHR a customer, Paul Dulfer, came in ~ we had his Scout at the engine shop for a while and he came in to see what was happening. We just had Kevin @ Performance put in a brand new 345, with all the trimmings (only took 2 weeks), then we sent off a TF727 to A&A trans. They professionally built it, with kevlar clutches/bands, RV gear set, bolt-in-sprag and a custom 1800 stall TC. That took a month or two. Behind that we put an Atlas II, 3.8 drop, upgraded output shafts. The Atlas took the most time, but was finally in and ready for the suspension work to start.

Paul came in after checking on the Scout, and satified that the scout was ready for us, he asked, " what's the chance of getting it by Friday?" "I highly doubt we can do it." I told him. Paul then relayed that it had to be done, that the Army decided to send him out to Iraq again, and he left shortly after his training in Colorado Springs was over. When what it over, the Friday RMIHR started, just a week away. (Paul is a Black-ops BlackHawk pilot).

I said that I'd try, but needed it immediately. I cleared some room in the shop and TUESDAY afternoon Pauls rig showed up and was pulled in. That's right folks, a mere 4 days before I was supposed to be manning the gates at the RMIHR. Tuesday night Paul and Led pulled the axles out of the Scout II and that's about it. 3 days to go, and Friday we had an exhaust appointment.

Wednesday morning I showed up at the shop at 5 am to get to work. By noon, the Reverse Shackle was done and frame cleared off for the LTSS. By nightfall we had both front and rear ends in place and perches welded. I hired Russel (a buddy of mine) and owner of RockToyz to rebuild the axles w/ 4.27 gears and Detroit/ARB. Before we sent of the axles, I measured the driveshafts and had Jesse @ HighAngle Driveline 2nd-day airing them to me. That night Russell brought the axle back and we finished installing them ~ I left at 10pm.

Thursday morning started early, 5 am. I installed the LTSS and painted everything under the rig. Paul, the machinist, had a set of flat-top knuckles ready, so we performed the HySteer conversion. I busted Paul's chops and got the TieRod, DragLink and some other small parts in as well. My UPS drop-off came in at 10 am, and with it came the Warn Full Floater kit. I called and got Warn to overnight a discbrake kit in as well. Both showed up and Pual and I got busy. Left at 10-11 pm.

Friday morning (Day of early registration for RMIHR) ~ I slept in but got to the shop shortly after 6. FedEx showed up bright and early and delivered two driveshafts. A perfect fit. Turns out that the Scotu didn't want to start. We called Kevin. Kevin came over (right around the corner) and got busy. Turns out the tech plugged the Park/Nuetral switch into the t-case. A quick switch and Pauls rig was roaring. It had a fresh 345, w/ stans headers only. We idled it to the exhaust at about 10 am.

2. Damian Grihalva

[continued]
    They were supposed to do the exhaust (2.5" pipes, dual) and brake lines. While they toiled away on the scout, Paul and I headed back to the shop and built the cage. By 5, we were ready for the Scout. The only hangup was that the brake lines weren't going to be done. Paul needed to drive it home THAT NIGHT to kentucky ~ we took it back to the shop and half-butted some rear hard lines. Brakes worked, exhaust sounded good, we threw the cage in and bled the brake lines.

About 7pm we took it for a drive. We dropped off Pauls rent-a-car and checked out of his hotel. 8pm I think we had dinner and headed back to the shop. 9pm and the top was back on. 9:30ish Paul began a 1200 miles drive home. New axles, new engine, new trans, new t-case, new driveshafts, new brakes, new supsension, new everything, 20 miles tops ~ not broke in, going on a 1200 mile drive. Oh, and if Paul had a problem, and didn't check in by 9am Monday, its a severe repramand (they had more training to do before deployment).

I told paul to take it easy for the first little bit. The couple 30 minute drives we already took were a good start, and the axle cooled while we put the top back on, but he should drive for a little and then stop for a bite to eat. Let it cool. Drive then let it cool. Change the fluids after 500 miles. And with that, he was off.

No problems. One leaky seal in the Full float kit was the only problem. 2.5 days of madness, 1 very clean rig, driving across the US. Saturday morning I woke up at 6 am and my body said "no way" ~ so I missed RMIHR. Even if I had gone, I wouldn't have had anything to show up with. I would have had to go to the shop, load up, and then make the 2 hour drive to the RMIHR. Frankly, I wasn't interested.

I did show up, however, just as the RMIHR contestants took a tour of Salida. We did a parade ~ first one I'd been in, and it was cool. I stay'ed threw dinner and went home. So I was there, just not as D and C.

Why am I telling this tail? Simple. It has come to my attention that some people believe D and C is going away. Then, when they saw we didn't attend the RMIHR, that somehow confirmed that I had decided to close shop. As this was JSUT brought to my attention, I figured I'd post this to help people understand that D and C is not going away. Yes we've slowed down our suspension and bumper production, but these days D and C is MUCH more than bumpers and suspension work. We're all about PARTS, TECH and hard-core builds.

I don't forsee D and C going away anytime soon. IF that bothers you, the good news is 'you'll live'. The bad news is 'you still need to try and outdo me.'

I'm greatful for my customers and friends. Most are one and the same. I'm the first to note that I've not made EVERYONE happy. But as many who I've disappointed, there are hundreds I've made very happy. I've seen threads started that people have complained about my products. In every case I've looked and noted when/what/where I was when they ordered. I've worked hard to fix all my problems, and although I'm not perfect (see thread from Bread), I'm very satified with my progress and my track record.

I have felt for quite some time that it's time for D and C to go to the next level. I've worked hard to set myself up so that I can. I'm currently working at getting all my back orders done and gone. The only thing left is bumpers and a few cage kits ~ all of which will be done this week. Then you'll start seeing some real changes that will knock your socks off.

Again, I appericate the BB, its users, my website viewers, my customers and my freinds. I think we've got a great little community. I think theres alot of room for improvement (on my part expecially), but that's what gives us character. I'm pleased and honored to be considered the "Scout Guy" here in Colorado Springs. I know that I'm just one of the many here on this, and other boards. I appericiate the similarities/differences we have. And I look forward to finishing another great milestone in D and C's history ~ called 2005.

3. 669 sprink

669 sprink High Wheeler

All that story and no pics of this rig? :eek: The "why I missed RMIHR" rig. Come on man. Make with the photos. :rolleyes:

4. Damian Grihalva

Dude, don't even go there. I lost my camera sometime at RMIHR. Its a silver Canon A40. Filled with mini-build pictures.

Lets just say its a Silver ralley scout, One of the cleanest scout's ive ever seen. The suspension work was AWESOME, we painted everything DARK semi-gloss black. I wish I had those pictures. That Scout is awesome.

Paul 3 (I think) is his name of this board. He said he'd email me some pictures when he got home, but I believe he's in Iraq now.

5. 669 sprink

669 sprink High Wheeler

Sorry to hear you lost your camera man. That sucks.

6. Paul 3

Paul 3 Farmall Cub

Damian,
    how's it going at the shop? Liked reading the buildup story though I don't think it does justice to all the hours spent on the Scout. That week felt more like a month to be sure! For all those reading this thread I couldn't be more impressed with the quality of the work Damian put into my build, nothing less than totally professional all the way around. And I've got to give Kevin over at Performance a big thanks for a great build on the engine. My only complaint is that I didn't get to drive it near enough before heading back here to Iraq! :mad: I'll be taking a load of photo's soon as I'll be back in the states shortly and send them in to Damian for posting here on the BB.
    Damian, again, a big thanks for all the help and being able to get the job done under all your other responsibilities. Maybe one of these days I'll be able to make it out to an RMIHR myself. :D

Paul

7. Damian Grihalva

Hey Paul, hows it going in Iraq. Giving the bad guys Heck? I bet you are.

Man, I lost my camera at the RMIHR...or shortly there after. Not sure where it went, but ALL my pictures of your, and someof rusty were on it. :( Oh well.

Man, I'd like to put that thing in my photo gallary, so when you send the pictures, I'll post here and in the gallary. That has to be one of the cleanest scouts I've worked on. It was nice not having to impact-off all the bolts ~ in fact, I don't think I had to break out the impact for any of them.

I do have one question. Your signature still reads:
    I definately think it needs some changin' ;)

8. Damian Grihalva

To answer your question about the shop...

I'm pleased to say that the only bumper order left (over 2 weeks old) is getting back from the powder coater this week. The remaining NEW bumper orders are already in progress and should be done by the end of the week. All cage kits that were late, have been shipped and I'm completing the new orders (3-4 of them) this week as well. In all, I've done what I've set out to do, and that is to get caught up and stay that way. Its a little tuff, but it has definately been worth it.

9. Paul 3

Paul 3 Farmall Cub

Damian,
    glad to hear everything is rolling along for you, sorry to hear about the camera. You can count on a load of pictures as soon as I get back to the house....never mind the one with our 'custom brake line', still have to get that one fixed. Fixed up the signature block too, check it out.

Paul

10. Damian Grihalva

Sounds good.

I dig the sig, but you forgot the Bolt-on sprag, custom built high-stall converter, twinstick, upgraded outputs on t-case, custom exhaust, Warn full floater kit, .......

Ya know, maybe that'll do, I doubt we can list all the little stuff that scout has in it. :eek: :confused:

Party on.

11. Paul 3

Paul 3 Farmall Cub

Damian,
    finally back in the states and took a couple pictures of the Scout. I'll burn them to a CD and send them out to you. In the mean time here are a couple for the BB.

Paul

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2009
  12. Damian Grihalva

Wow, that was a short deployment, must of really stuck it to the bad guys and 'Got-R-Dun' ~ welcome back.

Dang I love your rig. Wanna give it to me? ;)

Here's a picture of the before.

13. Rando

Rando Farmall Cub

man, that thing looks nice!. who did the exhaust work on that?

14. Paul 3

Paul 3 Farmall Cub

Thanks. Exhaust was done at a shop near Damian's place I'm sure he's got the number for em, real nice work. They did a great job of 'getting around' the Atlas II. Looking at it before taking it down to the shop I really didn't know how they were gonna be able to do it without overexposing the pipe.

Paul

15. Rando

Rando Farmall Cub

yeah if it's the one he usaully uses i know where it is. i got mine done a while back after i got done with my motor swap and it looks like crap compared to yours.

16. Damian Grihalva

MufflerMasters. They have been doing all my work and usually do a kick butt job...don't recall a bad experience with them, expecially when we do a full system.

They did Snoopy's, Pauls, Project 3's, and just about every other exhause job I've needed to do. They'll be doing Rusty's when I'm done and ready for them.

D

Here's some pics of P3 getting it done.

17. Rando

Rando Farmall Cub

i got mine done at discount muffler on 8th. they did good in the past but this time... yuck. wasn't that cheap either. i know the guy that owns that orange and white hot rod in the one pic. :D

18. Rando

Rando Farmall Cub

no edit button.
    i was going to rout the mufflers outside the frame rails like that but was afraid they would get smashed. as soon as i get some shorty headers for the 460 i am going to get the whole thing re-done.
    i still need to get that dash in too. i've been lazy lately.

19. Damian Grihalva

I've always been impressed with the rigs I've seen at Mike & Sams (owner dudes) ~ turns out Mike is the brother of the father of my HS girlfreinds best freind. (Bueller, Bueller)...Thought it was funny, he went out to Cali to visit family and came back asking if I know "Tanya" I say "Spoleman?" and he says, 'Yup, I'm her uncle"

I don't remember what they charged for Pauls stuff, but I believe it was under $400 ~ and we supplied the twin 3-chamber flowmasters. They usually keep the bill about that depending on what we do....or make them do ;) My T-ette was $350ish and they did everything from the headers back, 2.5" duals w/ X-over. Can't complain.

Here's another pic of that rod, I wanna do something like that to an old IH pickup. I found a 60 IH Travellal Ambulance that's slammed and has 5-spoke mags on it. Its pretty rusty, but it'd make a heck of a street rod ~ make it into a "ghostbusters" type build. :eek: :D

20. Rando

Rando Farmall Cub

jeez thats about what i paid for mine and it's a hack job.
    i'll drop your name when i go maybe that will help :D
    that guy that owns that rod. owns eagle heating, he's got a few nice rides.