Cub Cadet questions...

Discussion in 'Tractor Tech' started by David Banner, Nov 9, 2018.

1. David Banner

David Banner High Wheeler

Finally pulled the trigger...
    This little guy followed me home today -- it's a 149 so really not all that little...
    I was kinda shocked how fast it can take off! Got a lot to learn but it seems like it'll be mostly fun to work on...
    Probably paid a little too much at $500 but the deck seems good and it has a snow blade, and the original owners manual. In theory, I'm the third owner...
    IMG_1288.jpg

Chris Cooper and kdsmit like this.
  2. Randall Barringer

Randall Barringer Y-Block King

Looks like you did great!
    Congratulations on your purchase.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

David Banner likes this.
  3. Greg R

Greg R Dreams of Cub Cadets

$500 is a steal. Congrats!

David Banner likes this.
  4. David Banner

Well, this one doesn't need a seat (so many adds I was looking at showed 'em covered in duct tape...) Imagine my surprise when I saw a new seat at Tractor Supply went for $90!!!
    And not knowing what I'm looking at with these things I'm thinking the snow plow that came with it must be for a narrow-frame. It's 2" narrower than the mower deck hook up... Nothing I can't fix with a hammer and the MIG but still... :censored:

5. Greg R

Is it the plow, or the plow's hook up?

6. David Banner

The hook up under the middle of the tractor. The "H" yoke (two bars) on the mower is 10½" wide while the snow blade's is only 8¼" wide. I was assuming they outa be the same width hooking up to the same points but maybe they don't...
    It'll be a while before I need the blade though so no worries... The blade itself is still in nice shape -- not as rusty as some I've seen...

7. kdsmit

kdsmit Farmall Cub

Good job1 It looks like a nice tractor for $500 bucks. If you want more attachments, go to a tractor show/swap meet. They make weights that go on the rear wheels. They are the same weights used on the front of the H and M tractors. I think the going rate is 100 to 150 bucks. If you are going to try to pull anything heavy or plow snow, get a couple of sets. And chains for snowplowing. Remember they will pull a lot more than they will stop!

8. Mater

Mater Farmall Cub

I agree with the others, great buy on this Cub! Like kdsmit stated above, weights are a plus on these garden tractors. The farmall Cub front wheels used the same size wheel weights for the rear on the Cub Cadets. And with the under carriage attachment for the plow, yes, like you said some simple modifications and it will work!
    I just took off my plow on my 147 Cub and is now ready for lawn duty!
    5E919FCC-FE6F-43A3-9093-04852420E4A1.jpeg

kdsmit and Chris Cooper like this.
  9. David Banner

Nice looking 147!
    Two Q's: are those the oem tail ights? Mine look like that and I thought they might be replacements...
    Could you tell me the measurement of your plow at the end of the two yoke bars? And is that assembly called "the mule"? (okay, that was three questions...)

10. David Banner

That is great to know -- never would've guessed... shocked the weights aren't cheaper...

I've read you could add water/anti freeze to the tires for weight?! Is this true? I just assumed there were tubes in the tires -- are they tubeless and is this a good idea? It's not like these wheels get balanced is it... ;)

Now to figure out why the carb leaks...

11. Mater

Mater Farmall Cub

1. Those are replacement taillights.
    2. The plow frame attaches to the tractor at a different location than you mower deck. I’m thinking you have the correct attachment frame for it. Also, my tractor in the above photo is a narrow frame, thus my measurements are different.
    3. The “mule” is located in front of the tractor and has the idler pulleys attached to it. Then the scissor frame attaches to the mule drive.

12. Randall Barringer

Here's my 124 after some grass cutting and a wash.
    I upgraded to it after using a 70 and then 100 for grass duties.
    I love it! [​IMG]

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Mater and kdsmit like this.
  13. kdsmit

kdsmit Farmall Cub

If you want to add liquid ballast to the rear wheels, beet juice is best, because it is NON-CORROSIVE. This is an alternative to chloride (salt water). The beet juice will stain paint, but will not eat your rims. The weights are pricey, because they are in high demand, because they fit so many different tractors. Steiner tractor parts in Lennon, MI, is repopping them, but they are about the same price, plus shipping! The tires should have tubes in them.
    The carbs are pretty simple, they usually get a bit of dirt/rust, between the needle and seat or the needle valve is shot. If/when you take it apart, drain the gas tank and take the sediment bowl apart and make sure there is a screen at the top, if not get one. If the glass bowl is dirty and stained, you can make it look like new with some carb cleaner and some fairly fine steel wool. It should be clear, so you can see when there is dirt/rust in it, so you can take it apart and clean it.
    I always turn the fuel off at the sediment bowl, after using the tractor (actually I do this with all of my gas tractors) that way if the needle valve sticks, you don't run gas all over. So make sure the shut off works properly/smoothly.

Randall Barringer likes this.
  14. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

I do more than that,I turn my gas valve off and let it run out of gas in the carb,unless I know I will be using it within a day or 2.

15. Gus Erickson

Gus Erickson Farmall Cub

The oval tail lights were standard for a 147 series. The rectangle ones are for 149s and Quietlines. I use RV antifreeze for weight in the rears.

Attached Files:

Randall Barringer and Mater like this.
  16. David Banner

So I'll assume my lights are replacement lights then?

Does the antifreeze go INSIDE the tube or what...? And then you would still add 10psi of air or...? And I'm assuming this is a wheel off operation...

Garden tractors are waaay more foreign to me than riding a horse...

17. Greg R

Yes, the water(anti-freeze) goes in the tube up to about the stem at 12:00. That roughly gives the tire a 75% fill. For weight you want to use calcium chloride or Rim Guard beet juice. They have the highest density and more bang for your buck in weight per volume over any other anti-freeze and/or solution. As small as the tires are, I wonder if a few extra pounds are worth it compared to the filled tires on my Farmall.

18. David Banner

Thanks Greg. It's fun learning about this stuff... I actually found an IH chart that showed the amt of weight added based on tire size. I only know I did get one wheel spinning with my open diff on wet grass and was surprised the "turf tires" didn't tear out the grass! I have no idea how much weight it would take to make a difference though...
    I'm sure the tractor pulling crowd has developed lockers for these things but that's probably excessive for my use...

Meanwhile after having been gone 15 days and raining today; that when I mow tomorrow I'm glad I've got the Cub to do the work -- foot tall wet grass is more than a match for me and my ol' 20" push mower!

19. Randall Barringer

Try to let the grass dry before cutting it, wet grass is tough on a machine.

20. kdsmit

kdsmit Farmall Cub

The fluid added will make a difference! Add chains and a good breakfast, for the operator, and you can really push some snow!