Cseries Travelall trans swap to 727

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Peter Albrecht, Feb 13, 2020 at 3:31 PM.

1. Peter Albrecht

Peter Albrecht Farmall Cub

I have the Borg Warner 11 ( T39 ) 3 speed auto. No real issues with the trans except that the vacuum modulators are no longer available. Philbin Group in Oregon can rebuild them. My concern/idea is that the 727 has a much greater parts availability and build options specific to racing,towing etc. By the way, I'll be towing. I'm wondering how involved the swap would be ? I did a search and did not find any info. Has anyone done this swap ?

2. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

Just get all parts from a donor an you be set.

scout2000 likes this.
  3. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

It will bolt to the engine and the mounts should line up,you will need a starter spacer,flex plate ,spacer and bolts from a 727 truck/travelall or scout.The tranny from a pickup/travelall would be the best.Might need to shorten the drive shaft.

4. scoutboy74

scoutboy74 Lives in an IH Dealership

Don't even bother with one from a Scout II, unless it is certainly from a two wheel drive. The 4x4 Scout version has the wrong tail housing and shaft for you. '72 - '75 Pick-Alls will be your best donors. The throttle valve rod linkage is a vital component for proper TF 727 function and longevity that tends to get omitted during swaps like this. The fluid cooling lines are also a necessity. All the more reason to seek out a complete donor situation rather than piece-mealing the laundry list of associated items together from a half dozen different sources.

scout2000 likes this.
  5. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

Cant believe I for got the throttle rod.

6. Ron A

Ron A High Wheeler

You must be getting old , like the rest of us :laugh:. Important to have that hooked up as it controls line pressure in the transmission. If the correct throttle rod is unavailable there is always the option of a lokar cable for the 727. Summit racing has them for 95.95 . Only time you would not need one is with a manual valve body that runs full line pressure all the time, but that's not really what you want on the road.
    Lokar Hi-Tech Kickdown Kits KD-2727HT.
    [​IMG]

7. Peter Albrecht

Peter Albrecht Farmall Cub

I was able to source a 304 w/ 727 trans which came from a early '70s 2 wheel drive IH truck, All the linkage is still intact. I'm curious about whether the hump behind the firewall and across the center of the body will have enough clearance and will it need a fabricated cross member ? will the existing one fit ? or can a D series cross member be used ? The Borg Warner trans has an external trans cooler, would an aftermarket trans cooler ( like a dual pass ) work or does it have to be run through the radiator ?

8. scout2000

scout2000 Dreams of Cub Cadets

And as a follow on, a (gentle) reminder that all those OEM parts you no longer want/need, someone out there in Binderland is desperate for them. Possibly not at this exact moment, but definitely 6 to 9 months down the road max.

As blessed as we all are, for all the LL + 3 party parts we have available to our small community, there are just as many parts that aren't being repro'ed, and possibly never will be.

9. scoutboy74

scoutboy74 Lives in an IH Dealership

You'll be fine with a solo external cooler as long as you don't cheap out on it. Best scenario for the 727 in towing applications is the combination of an integrated radiator cooler plus an external. I have no idea RE your clearance questions.

10. Greg R

Greg R Dreams of Cub Cadets

I don't believe that is accurate. Have you tried Portland Transmission Exchange in Oregon? They have kits for the BWs and the old car crowd is using them more and more. They do have vacuum modulators on the shelf for IH, p/n 16525D for $22.05. Give them a try. These old BWs are tough and should handle towing within your GVW.

http://txchange.com/