Cruizin in my 64

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by imjameshall, Dec 31, 2018.

1. imjameshall

imjameshall Farmall Cub

Hello all,

A bit of a lurker and a complete noob when it comes to anything mechanical. I'm excited that I got this bad girl from a guy in California and am excited to have my first scout, i've had my eyes on them for a while. Would love thoughts and opinions.

Feel free to ask my questions, but I won't be able to answer them to expertly.

I believe the extra gear shift is an overdrive lever.. I'm not thrilled with exhaust placement, I believe the guy was making it into a roadster, so I might move them to the back again.

I'm a 38 year old software developer so I do have a love for new things, but love old cars, so I want to mix a bit of new and old. I'm hoping to make this my daily driver (I only drive about 5 miles to work on backroads).

Things in my mind to do
    1. Fix hard top (missing window on drivers side) - Any suggestions on doing this?
    2. Put on windshield wipers (already purchased just need to put on)
    3. Line / clean up interior (should I put rug? rhino line?)
    4. Get LED taillights (Im thinking LED so i can combine brake, turn and backup in one)
    5. Softtopper (I love the look of these)
    6. White lettering for the tailgate
    7. Emblems!

Thanks for lookin!

Attached Files:

jeff campbell likes this.
  2. scout2000

scout2000 Dreams of Cub Cadets

Hello James,

Welcome to BinderPlanet, and contratulations on your new Binder.

I've made inline comments into your questions.

Its not exactly clear what you are asking for here. if the window+frame is missing from your drivers side door, probably just post a 'want to buy' ad in the classified section.

If you need new glass for your travel top, its just flat glass. Any glass shop can cut you some new glass. If your window gasket needs replacing, it is available brand new from most of the Light Line dealers.

After your clean up, you can do as much, or as little as you deem necessary. Hoping to have a conversation with GF/wife or off-road buddy as you drive down the road, add insulation, sound deadener as appropriate.

Best advice anyone can give, figure out what you want/need this vehicle to do, then plan/build to that. Doing things the other way around always takes longer and leads to many misplaced steps.

If you want/like LED's, go for it. FWIW, your brake and turn signals are already combined. Scout 80's do not require backup lights.

You can get white vinyl overlay lettering from several of the Light Line dealers, or, paint works also.

For a Scout 80, assuming you are looking for the 'Scout' emblems and the 'all wheel drive' emblems.

Once again, these are available brand new from most, if not all the light line dealers. Expect to pay $50 a pop. Plan B, if budget is an issue, usually someone has some old ones to part with. Again, stick an ad in the wanted section.

Hope that helps. Again, welcome to Binder Planet.

3. oneof3k

oneof3k High Wheeler

Not quite close enough to the CO San Juan Mnts
    I'll bet you know the answer to this one: where are the windshield hold down knobs? Without the top, that piece of glass might kiss the hood for New Years!

Nice ride!

4. Randall Barringer

Randall Barringer Y-Block King

I have an extra set of OE windshield knobs if you don't have any.
    PM for sale info.
    Oh, and welcome to the madness!

5. Scoutcamper

Scoutcamper Farmall Cub

Welcome! Nice rig! Is that a Dodge Dart GT horn button?

I'm in the process of doing a cheap LED swap on my tail-lights. Some of my friends have found that the round trailer lights from Harbor Freight will fit with just a little clearance grinding. You can always swap back to original style later if desired.

Looks like the PO did some upgrades on the brakes judging by the new booster and dual master cylinder- disk brake conversion I'm guessing?

I'd suggest seat belts, too, if you don't already have them.

-Josh

6. Greg R

Greg R Lives in an IH Dealership

Welcome!! You have a nice Scout to start with, lots of fun filling in the missing pieces and making it your own.

The extra shifter could be overdrive. Go underneath and post some photos of the drive train and anything else that looks interesting.

One thing I've found living in the NW is that all Scouts leak. Anything that holds water should be avoided so rugs are out. To deaden the road noise in the back of mine; I've put artificial turf underlayment on the bed. It's just a sheet of tough 1 1/4" thick closed cell foam shock pad from a piece I got for free when the university football stadium had the playing field re-covered. It isn't glued, doesn't hold water and then I put a piece of rubber floor mat from a Navistar over the road truck cab over the pad. Tough, quiet and easy on the knees. Just a couple of ideas there. Some folks have used horse stall mats, but they're kinda spendy to end up cutting to size.

Strong suggestion here, but look into getting a Service Manual. The help on electrical is worth the cost plus all the good info on mechanical.

imjameshall likes this.
  7. tdc

tdc Dreams of Cub Cadets

Welcome. Nice Scout. Very cool seats.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  8. imjameshall

imjameshall Farmall Cub

Been a bit since I posted, and honestly haven't had a lot of time to mess with the scout..

After getting the truck I started to really dive into what's wrong with it (I bought it off ebay on a steal, i know i know)

Here's some bigger issues I have to fix before getting to my wants list above:

1. Brake lights not working (there's no brake light switch installed)
    2. Speedometer not working (no speedometer cable)
    3. Fuel gauge not working (not sure whats up, all wiring is there)
    4. Passenger side fuel canister disconnected (not end of the world, but would like to fix.
    After being pretty frustrated with trying to figure out what the status was for all the wires, I decided to unbound all of them from their tape and lay them all out. There's a lot of extra connections and lengtheners... so I'm making the call to re-wire... EVERYTHING. at least behind the dashboard and organize a bit more... So today was ripping out all of the tape and gunk. It definitely helped me understand where everything was running and getting to know my ride a bit better.. .more later!

I also took a pic of my starter, is it common to have THIS many connections? wow! IMG_20190203_125838.jpg IMG_20190203_125832.jpg IMG_20190203_125637.jpg IMG_20190203_125618.jpg IMG_20190203_110758.jpg IMG_20190202_161630.jpg IMG_20190202_131235.jpg

Scoutcamper likes this.
  9. Scoutcamper

Scoutcamper Farmall Cub

Impressive! I'm sure I'll have mine torn apart to do this sooner or later as well. Have you decided to go with a full replacement harness, or are you building your own?

-Josh

10. imjameshall

imjameshall Farmall Cub

Thanks! I'm not 100% sure yet. I wont be able to work on it again for a few weeks so im gonna read around about doing either method, i'm leaning that ill go with the latter, and just try to organize, clean up and LABEL things.

I just hate how theres all sorts of crimp connectors everywhere... and there's even some dead-end lines that I have to fight with

11. Greg R

Greg R Lives in an IH Dealership

Well as you have seen, most of the wires are GREEN. Most of us who worked with electrical for pay, green was ground. So I had to bone up on vehicle electrical and got the Service Manual that has schematics. When I purchased my 800, the only thing that worked were the headlights. It is a bit daunting , but I am of the KISS training: Keep It Simple Stupid. So one thing, one system at a time and I put her all together; no new wiring harness needed. It's been over 10 years with a stock system and no problems other than an ignition switch replacement.

If your wiring is too hacked with lots of splices, work arounds, or scorching's, maybe a new harness is good. For now get to know the layout, get a schematic . By the way, IH labeled all the wires with numbers near the terminations and it is how they are identified in the schematic.

Randall Barringer likes this.
  12. imjameshall

imjameshall Farmall Cub

scout2000 likes this.
  13. scout2000

scout2000 Dreams of Cub Cadets

Congratulations on moving forward with a new wiring harness.

I can't imagine anyone faulting you for replacing 50+ year old wire.

Purely curiosity on my part, wondering what the deciding factor was in purchasing the Speedway harness, vs other harnesses available, i.e. price, quality, past experience, vendor support, etc?

Seems like a good portion of us inherit a very messed up OEM harness, work via previous owner, and we are forced into new wiring, whether we want to or not.

14. imjameshall

imjameshall Farmall Cub

To be quite honest, it was price right now. It seemed to be well reviewed, I saw a few other posts on here when I search harnesses talking good about it, and it seems simple enough.. figured I might as well try it, it's gotta be better than what it is now!

15. imjameshall

imjameshall Farmall Cub

Welp today was great. Pulled out the wires out, put the wiring harness in... cranked it..... and it started, better than before!

I still have to wire up all the lighting and gauges, but all the engine hook-ups are all working, which is what I was really worried about.

Now admittedly i'm in a bit of a snafu with the steering column wires as I don't know what goes to what, so time to research on all that!

Scoutcamper and Darrel like this.
  16. imjameshall

imjameshall Farmall Cub

Okay, so I got the steering column wired up from what I can tell that is correct, however I do have a puzzle...

There's a yellow wire coming out of the steering column that I'm not sure what it goes to, it wasn't connected when I got it, and it's not bundled with what I assume are the original wires, any thoughts?

Attached Files:

Scoutcamper likes this.
  17. Randall Barringer

Randall Barringer Y-Block King

That's the stock wire for the horn contact. You need to keep it.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

oneof3k likes this.
  18. imjameshall

imjameshall Farmall Cub

Well it's been *checks calendar* a whole YEAR since I've posted. The past year was a bit crazy, but im starting back up on my scout again.

I've gotten almost all the wiring done, but could use some support on the rear brake lights, and where to put the switch (I have no idea what I'm doing, mind you)

I've attached some images of the current brake situation. I have a power brake booster installed by the PO but they didn't hook up the brake lights.

I've bought a brake light switch, but I'm not sure where I should place it, am I missing some parts?

Attached Files:

19. Scoutcamper

Scoutcamper Farmall Cub

Glad to see you still kickin'!

That looks like a hydraulic pressure sensor switch, you might need a different type that mounts to the bracket above the brake pedal if you are looking to stay close to stock. It releases a button switch when the pedal is pressed. You might be able to make that one work for the same function if there is an attachment port at your master cylinder or proportioning valve. I'll take a look at the manual for the stock application in the morning. You have a '67 800, correct?

-Josh

20. stroker3

stroker3 Lives in an IH Dealership

That switch is usually mounted on the end of the master. They were on the old single system. Guess would be to set up a pedal switch mentioned by scoutcamper now that it has the dual master.