Couldn't stay away!

Discussion in 'Great Lakes Binders' started by Dennis Bernth, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Dennis Bernth

Dennis Bernth Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Couple of things to report since the last post. I'm probably lucky because by the time I filled up the radiator and found the leak, it was getting on to time for me to get ready for work, so I didn't have time to dig into the plow Scout and pull that radiator. After kicking it around for a while, I ordered a new Champion Cooling radiator that's supposed to be a two core for $162 and change from Ebay. The more I thought about it, the more I didn't want to create more work for myself down the road (getting the plow truck ready to go with a different radiator) than I had to. I would have liked to have the radiator sooner than I'll probably get it, but it's already shown as shipped and has a Fed Ex number, so maybe it'll come faster than I think. In the meantime I'll get the AC installed, I got the evaporator today but it's not the one in the picture, they shipped me one that has heater hose hookups too, so it's a combination unit :cornfused: I don't need a combination unit, so I'll just leave the heater hoses blank and go with it as an AC. I should have all the fittings and hose that I need, along with the filter drier, so I can accomplish that before the radiator arrives, scheduled for the first of next week. Meantime I'll yank the old one out and get the AC condenser and new trans cooler installed up front, along with new halogen headlights. AFTER the power steering box seal repair of course.

2. michigan scout

michigan scout High Wheeler

Dennis, keep us informed on the steering gearbox seal. I have one leaking on the green traveler. I want to see how you do it. Pics of the ac stuff would be good....just once, just once, I would like a IH with ac in working order.

3. Jeff Bade

Jeff Bade Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

I have a rebuilt one sitting on the shelf if it doesn't work out.

4. Dennis Bernth

The plan is, I'm taking pics as I go on the steering box seal. I plan to do a write up to put up here someplace, maybe the 'knowledge base', that has a description and pics of how to do the input shaft seal on a Scout II power steering box. This is going to be a from A to Z description, a lot of guys know how to pull the steering box and all but some are kind of intimidated by it, this is more to show them what tools they need, what it takes to remove the box, how to R and R the seal and dust cover, and then reinstall. The input shaft seal seems to be the most common leak on them, and the seal kit is cheap, like 7 bucks at Rock Auto, if I think about it I'll toss one in the truck to bring to Nats for you, I have a few spares laying around in both sizes.
    Of course, taking pics makes everything go slower, and I found out that worrying about getting good pics also causes you to do some stupid stuff- like pull a bolt I could have gotten by without pulling on the rag joint, and when I went to take pics of removing the drag link from the pitman arm, I was so involved in getting good pics that I managed to get 90% of the way to pulling the driver's side tie rod end; I realized right before it turned into 'pickle fork time'. It was a lot easier to take pictures of that than the actual drag link end that needed to come off, so I guess that's why I did it! Ran the nut back down, new cotter pin, no harm done though.
    Thanks for the offer Jeff, but I should be good, it was leaking pretty good but a seal should fix it right up. I have probably four or five other boxes here, including a freshly rebuilt one from a parts truck, but I was saving that one for Tammy's Terra. And the box that's in it seems tight and steers well, so I hate to swap in a different box and find out some hack tried to 'adjust it' and it won't return, or it's grabby.

5. Dennis Bernth

Typing this one fingered, thanks to the steering box :taz: Got it out OK, and got the new seal in OK after a hiccup- even though my box is definitely 3/4" (the smaller, later model which I expected), I had to use the 13/16" seal kit. The shaft is tapered from the splines being smaller to the seal area of the shaft being larger. Also the bore the seal fits into is quite a bit larger than the supposedly 'correct' seal. Shaft was fine, seal was just really old and brittle, so that should fix it. However putting the box back in I got crossways of sharp metal somewhere, opened up the knuckle at the base of my 'finger' finger about to the bone. So work stopped to stop the blood flow. plus it was about time to go to work. So now I have two bandaids crisscrossed over it, my finger is swollen, and it's pretty 'touchy' (as in, touch it, I hit you!). Hope it's better tomorrow, got lots to do and a bum hand weren't in the plans. Uggh!

6. michigan scout

Man you are not having good luck lately, glad the seal is in though....

7. Dennis Bernth

Seal is in, box isn't, hand is worse. This might be the kiss of death for the Traveler to make it to Nationals, got lots to do and no way to do it. Hoping the hand improves, but it's really swollen and sore. The actual cut I could probably work around, but whatever I hit or that hit my hand did some damage.

8. Dennis Bernth

I'm halfway back at it again! Steering box is still off, the hand isn't that good yet, but my buddy is going to come over and finish the install. I was able to accomplish some stuff though, new battery tray for the bigger battery I'm putting in it, tracked down the trailer wiring (and eliminated part of a PPO rat nest back at the hitch) so I'll get the trailer plug installed tomorrow. Yanked the big stock steering wheel and have a Chevy rally wheel sitting on, just have to wait to finish til steering box is in. Got the new radiator Friday, figure about mid week I should be good to get it in along with the new condenser and trans cooler. Want to be driving it by the weekend to sort out any issues, but I think I'll be OK.

rhouser30 and Jeff Bade like this.
  9. michigan scout

10. Dennis Bernth

Trailer plug is in and fastened and weatherproofed. Steering box is in and hooked up, waiting for the radiator to get in so I can run it and bleed the air out. Tomorrow will be a short morning, so I'm hoping I can get the steering wheel on at least, fix the busted wheel stud on the back axle, and maybe reseal the other valve cover. Looking to have it on the road by the weekend so I can run it around, might be taking it in early next week to a muffler shop for a little work, it has a couple of leaks and one muffler is oversize (thanks Sears auto shop!) and can hit the driveshaft. If it goes to the muffler shop it'll sound better when it comes out ;)

11. michigan scout

You will enjoy driving it, I enjoyed it as my daily driver for several months. I don't think the muffler ever hit, but I never took it off road...just a 75 mile commuter rig...I used it a little around home but glad it's getting closer for you..

12. Dennis Bernth

Upper radiator hose and upper fan shroud bolts and the radiator is in. Had to make brackets for the AC condenser, but that job is done so installing AC will be easy now. Need to put in the new lug stud on the rear wheel while it's on the rack, grease where I can, and I'm gonna change the oil just because I know I got crap in it from the valve cover gasket changes. Close, I'm calling the muffler guy tomorrow and if I get it running I may run it over there if he's able to get on it.

13. Dennis Bernth

Wow, I didn't realize I hadn't updated this for this long! To recap the last three weeks, I did not have time to get the Scout into the muffler guy to get new mufflers on, so it went to Nationals with the old mufflers and a slight exhaust leak somewhere, not sure where but it never got worse. I put on the Mallory CD multi spark I had, and it was dead :( I dug around, knowing I had another box 'somewhere' and found what looks like a new Summit Multi spark box totally by accident. It went on and works great. A little cleaning, a little this and that, and it made the trip to and from Troy just fine. I did notice a couple of problems though; first, the boot for the automatic shifter was almost gone. At 60 mph we had a nice wind tunnel of hot air funneling into the passenger compartment of the Scout. Going down on Thursday, not so bad because it wasn't that hot. Sunday coming home, was a different story, it was HOT in the cab. While I was at Nationals I picked up an entire automatic shifter that had a replacement boot installed already, along with a shift cable, for $20. Saved ten bucks on the boot, and got a shifter and spare cable for free! The other issue was that the seat sits too high for me, I hit my head every time I go to get out of the Scout. After talking to Mark and Sully, they had their seat bases cut down 2" and it makes a difference. So, over the past weekend I cut a spare driver's seat base I had down two inches at the top and rewelded the top to the base. After getting it all bolted back in, it's MUCH improved. Sits much more naturally for me, and no more cracking my noggin on the way out. This morning I finished buttoning down the seat, and got most of the shifter stuff done before I ran out of time and had to leave for work. Won't get it finished this weekend, have to do brake lines and front brakes on my daughter's beater, along with a fender and hood from where she creamed a deer, but first of the week I want to get the Scout buttoned up so I can start driving it again.

14. michigan scout

It was good to see it. Which i guess i will start a thread on a traveler since you stole mine! ;)

15. Dennis Bernth

And I'm glad you let me steal it, I love that truck. Hope I can get the brake work done on my daughter's car quick so I can finish up the Scout and drive it this weekend.....

16. Dennis Bernth

The Scout is done, daughter's car isn't....but it's closer. I actually think I might have been OK with just losing an inch off the seat bases, the other guys aren't using stock seats like I am. But it's still much better, and it will just take a little getting used to. Plan to motor around in it some this weekend if I get the chance!

17. Dennis Bernth

Well, to update this, there really aren't any updates :( I've driven the Traveler around some, but not as much as I wanted to, and I haven't done squat on it since the pressure is off now that Nationals is over. It'll soon be snow and salt time, no driving it in the salt, so I need to get a few more miles on it before I put it up for the winter. I'm heading up to Darren's this weekend to deliver some parts and pick up a Scout for Tammy, so that'll be taking some of my time, I better have it ready for her to drive in the spring! Need to change oil in a bunch of my vehicles, not because they're due so much as I can use the oil for my waste oil heater to keep the shop warm this winter.