^#$#%@!@#&^*((copperhead!!

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Cal in Carl Jct, Sep 13, 2010.

1. sparkydog

sparkydog Farmall Cub

I'd be more creeped out by the goat's eyes than the copperhead's eyes. Besides the goat will eat most of the Scout.

2. Paul "Misterfixit" Schulz

Paul "Misterfixit" Schulz Super Mod from Downunder Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Probably a good time to remind folk of how to treat a snake bite! Considering the deadliest snakes are here in Australia and distance to be treated can be many hours or a call to the flying doctor away, the best thing is not so much a field treatment as such but rather a method of reducing the impact the venom has until medical treatment of anti-venom can be administered.

As venom is delivered through the human body via the lymphatic system rather than the blood stream, the most important thing is 'immobilization', do not flex the limb that has been bitten! use a splint! apply a compression bandage from above the bite and wind it down to the site, release it every 30 mins so blood can circulate. Don't walk out! There has been many cases of death due to this, you need to be carried on a stretcher etc, people with bush experience here have when alone splinted and bandaged their own limb then just lay down on the spot, feeling the venom slowly travel up their limb then go back down again after a couple of days.

I notice that 'snake bite kits' which work on sucking out the venom are still sold in the USA, a device which fell out of favor here 30 - 40 years ago are just not sold here anymore because of their ineffectiveness.

On a side note, snakes do not 'hear' as such, they sense vibrations et, they are generally more afraid of you than you are of it, if you stand perfectly still you do not produce the vibrations and therefore do not have a moving image, many years ago i was confronted by a 'brown snake' when i was bush walking, deadly in their own right, i froze on the spot, the snake slithered right between my legs and off into the scrub, only me and my laundry man knew how scared i was! Could of been a much worse outcome if i had of moved!

3. hogman63

hogman63 Farmall Cub

Around my home in north central Arkansas our common venomous snake is a copperhead. Around the lakes and waterways it is the cottonmouth. Rattlesnakes like the mountian areas. If I see one near my home it is dead. No democratic discussion. It's my home.

Basically the snake is pursuing food. High grass usually provides habbitat for mice and rats. The snake helps control them. Cut the grass, the rodents dissappears, the snakes dissappear. Years ago heptechlor (spelling?) was used to control ticks in residential yards. It also was highly disfavored by snakes. Said to burn them. Now it is banned by the federal govt.

Botttom line is if the habbitat is controlled, the snakes will be mostly controlled. A few outside cats also help!

4. Jonathan Bair

Jonathan Bair Farmall Cub

Nels Rec center. Home of the worlds greatest cheeseburger. Spent many a dinner in ole nels, and my family became quite close friends. She recently passed (3 years) and the old rec center burned down. While helping to to clean up the rubble, we found a whole cache of handguns in what was once her undie drawer. Sweet little ole Nel, with 20 handguns close by.
    Kidd truck, my neighbor here was the head Mechanic there, you probably were sold that scout by a mister Charlie Parker, close friend of mine, and the areas most extensive IHC collection. 30-40?! Hes taken me under his wing and taught me much about the trucks.
    Her husband Glenn, was a true character, he used to deliver water to folks who still had sisterns. After filling one once, the homeowner asked if he could drop the money by Nels next week sometime, and Glenn said sure. Reversed the pumps. and filled his truck back up and said he'll keep the water til then.
    This is the only Home, ive ever known, and i've traveled more than most. Always end up back here.
    Spent some time in Ole Pheonix too by the way, planning a trip back there next summer.

5. Super Scout

Super Scout Farmall Cub

I was never a fan of cats until I started dating my current girlfriend she had a front porch cat named jasper. Well everytime I was on her front porch the cat would come and lay on my lap really cute but if you look at his face you could see scars from past encounters. Well one night I was sitting on the porch drinking a beer and the cat was playing in the bushes. When all of sudden here comes this fluffy cat with a 4 foot snake hanging out of his mouth. The snake was still alive and he jasper fought to the bitter end until jasper killed it. Upon closer look it was a 4 foot copperhead. Jasper is a scrapper lol, so my advice is buy a few tough cats and let them roam.

6. fungus

fungus Farmall Cub

X2! We had a cat at our last place in Socal and he was a cold blooded killer! Lizards, rats, mice and birds by the dozen. I was wondering how he kept getting these birds so I watched him one day. He was climbing into the cypress trees in our back yard about 10' above the ground and ambushing them! Sometimes you get a good one. He was given to us by some friends that had a bunch of kittens on their ranch so he came with a hunters instinct...

7. crnbndr123

crnbndr123 Farmall Cub

What if it's not a mongoose.... er, nevermind...:oops:

The "cat trick" is true. Just this weekend my friend's cat halved a small diamondback just outside the garage. Ate the head half and left the tail half for his pride (us aparently.)

Only problem is the cat is prone to bring little gifts "into" the house. That can be bad place to find an injured rattler.