^#$#%@!@#&^*((copperhead!!

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Cal in Carl Jct, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Cal in Carl Jct

Cal in Carl Jct Farmall Cub

I recently acquired another parts Scout for rebuilding my burned Terra. I had been crawling under it spraying seat bolts, from underneath so I could remove the seats to get more room to work and lay inside, to pull out the dash. After working inside her for about an hour, I decided to get a tool from the garage. When I walked around the Scout, I found a two and a half foot long Copperhead laying on the drive, 3 feet from the Scout. ‘Bout scared me to death! I know he didn’t crawl up there to watch me dismantle the thing! I HATE snakes! I can barely tolerate the good ones! I know they have their place, but this was not expected! With adrenaline flowing at an extremely high rate, I knew I had to go back and get a closer look to see if he really was a Copperhead. Yep he had the slit pupils. He was crawling toward the under brush and I didn’t want him to get away. I ran to the garage to grab a hoe or shovel, but they were locked up in the shed out back. In desperation, I grabbed the next closest thing, a cement block. I knew this would more than get the job done. He was now much closer to the woods and my other parts Scout. I raised the block up over my head, he was looking right at me, I let go and would you believe it, he dodged the block and shot 2 feet toward me and went right under my other parts Scout & got away! I have all kinds of parts stored in that Traveler. Any body looking for a ’78 Traveler with extra parts?

2. WesV

WesV Y-Block King

Time to keep a shot gun with some snake shot loaded hanging in the garage. I don't mind snakes at all, but poisonous snake can and will meet their maker if I have anything to do with it.

3. scorp1us

scorp1us High Wheeler

So, you were perfectly safe until you attacked it?

Snakes have their place, venous or not. Let me tell you a little story about evolutionary pressure...

As a people, we've been rattle snake killing for about two hundred years in the south west. The ones that got killed were the ones who were quick to rattle. Now, not so many rattlers rattle, because the ones that were quick to rattle were removed from the gene pool. Now you've got a bigger problem: quiet rattlers. Rather warning you early, you're going to get bit more often...

Plus copperhead are one of the least venomous snakes... They were recently removed from the 'lethal' list because too few people died from them.

4. JasonR.

JasonR. Binder Driver

"Snakes have their place, venous or not." -- maybe at your house. We have no 'relocation program' for copperheads at ours.

Within the last two years, I've had to kill two or three of those things around my house using the brick and shovel method Carl was planning to employ.

I'm not sure how to quantify that "too few" people die from them. Having small toddlers around with these is not a good idea. Until my kids get old enough to identify, respect and avoid them, the venomous snakes will have to find safer locations to reside.

As for this guy, I'd guess Carl will be waiting until the weather cools off before digging around in that Traveler anymore.

5. Fred Demmon

Fred Demmon Y-Block King

about 4 years a go we were camping in northern Arkansas whe I got bit by a copperhead in the camp site.
    Wen't to the local Hospital and the lady there told me she never had a paient with a snae bit in her 17 years.
    Luckly I got hit on the ankle and did not get a lot of venum in me.
    We killed it after it had bit me just before I went to the Hospital. When I saw it after it bit me it was 4ft long......... When I went back to see it the next day(when my adrinalin was not at it's peak) it measured 18 inches:oops:

6. Bill Hall

Bill Hall Farmall Cub

Try dumping a couple boxes of mothballs areound your Scouts. I've heard it's a pretty good snake deterant.

7. Lowell

Lowell Farmall Cub

Reminded me of a camping trip my family and a friend's family made in West Virginia about 1973. We camped along the Greenbriar River. There was an old set of railroad tracks that ran along the river and we decided to walk the track a ways. I went first to specifically watch for Snakes. My son, daughters and friend's two girls followed me, they my wife and friends wife with dog, then my friend. After a little ways the the dog started barking and the women said, there's a snake! My friend walked up and said , yep it's a copperhead and he went looking for a rock. I walked back and looked at it and said, that's not a copperhead, its a rattlesnake, I can see the rattles. My friend walked back aside of me and said, you're right but that wasn't the snake I was looking at. I and my kids had just walked by both a rattlesnake and copperhead without seeing either. :nono:

8. scorp1us

scorp1us High Wheeler

9. cornbinder79

cornbinder79 Farmall Cub

This time of year the females are even more nastier, this is when they are over protective and ready to give birth 4 to a dozen babies at a time

10. Gary McKinney

Gary McKinney Farmall Cub

A copperhead nailed me on the leg several years ago right here by my house. I was a little sick for a while but nothing drastic. The only lasting thing is that the spot where I was bit has been numb ever since. The only snakes I see these days are black snakes (which I won't bother, and they don't bother me) and tiny little ringnecks which I protect (since they couldn't hurt you if they wanted to). I think if I saw another copperhead or a rattlesnake I'd be loading the 12 gauge real quick.

11. scorp1us

scorp1us High Wheeler

Well, my dad (the man who introduced me to scouts, he's got a 72 304.) is like Steve Irwin. He even caught a rattle snake and ripped the rattler off (leaving a few segments) and released the snake. Yeap, he never killed it. This was considered special, but not out of the realm of my dad.

12. JordanAMC

JordanAMC Binder Driver

Wouldn't that make it more likely that a person would bitten by one?

13. Jonathan Bair

Jonathan Bair Farmall Cub

I have snakes in my parts shed. I wont be going back in there til winter. They all just simply freak me out. Once found a black snake coiled up in my toilet.

14. Lowell

Lowell Farmall Cub

Hey Johnathan.

Saw you were from Sinks Grove. In the early=late 70's, you could get the best hamburgers at Nellie's in Sinks Grove. Sure would like to have one of them again!:yes: Only restaurant I've ever been in where the owners husband rolled in a truck tire behind the counter and aired it up.

Bought my first Scout at Kidd Truck in Lewi burg in 79.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  15. sparkydog

sparkydog Farmall Cub

Get a blowup doll of a Mongoose and put it in your Scout. Who's your daddy now, copperhead?!!!

16. Mark B 70SR2

Mark B 70SR2 High Wheeler

get a goat... snakes hate goats.

17. Lava

Lava High Wheeler

I have goats,
    and I have snakes.
    I've never seen the goats mess with any of the reptiles present here.
    The goats can evict the wasps in the trees/bushes.
    They stomp the rats/mice.
    They don't generally do anything to the birds or reptiles.
    Or Thunderpooch,
    htey don't care about snakes I don't think.
    They don't like other warm blooded critters for sure,
    birds are just a nuisance I think,
    and snakes pose no threat or I'm sure Wicked Sister would kill some.
    We're loaded with Western terrestrials, Santa Cruz aquatics, ring-necked, gopher, pacific tree frogs, red legged frogs, alligator lizards and several others I fail to mention.
    I guarantee I'd see dead ones if the Sisters cared.
    They can kill mice, gophers, & rats.
    I'm sure they'd kill the snakes if they wanted.\
    Maybe I have retarted goats

18. surfnturf

surfnturf Binder Driver

Not sure about goats but the ones I've found around my place have died from "lead" poisoning.:D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Mark B 70SR2

Mark B 70SR2 High Wheeler

Geez Mike, you grow em big in SC.. As far as goats, I have been told that by at least 5 different people so I somewhat believe it. I have never owned one as snakes are not the only things (including women) that don't like goats.

20. eightOsix

eightOsix Binder Driver

No snakes in Fraser - too cold.